Unpopular opinions.

31 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I got the impression that Maradona was a completely unpleasant individual, with no redeeming personality traits.

He did have an impeccable sense of timing when it came to a cheeky handball or an 80 metre mazy goal

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I have googled him now.

images.thumb.jpeg.90ab220e427c57ee2c2833330570630f.jpeg

This film title sounds like it could be based on attitudes around the Coronavirus pandemic.

Great film. He's got some great lines in it. 

It's a satire of the post-war consensus. Seems like a Golden Age now, cos even the baddies in it seem more moral than our present leaders. 

Oh, forgot to say, it's also funny.

I got the impression that Maradona was a completely unpleasant individual, with no redeeming personality traits.

Watch the documentary, Diego Maradona. He was the main family bread winner and took financial responsibility for his family from about 15. Still occupies all the room in Peter Shilton’s head and was a fucking tremendous footballer.
Obviously a very troubled guy but I doubt I would have been able to cope with what he did

Just now, NJ2 said:

Watch the documentary, Diego Maradona. He was the main family bread winner and took financial responsibility for his family from about 15. Still occupies all the room in Peter Shilton’s head and was a fucking tremendous footballer.
Obviously a very troubled guy but I doubt I would have been able to cope with what he did

I have watched it. Hitler was probably a nice enough kid as well but he went a bit awry later..

Gascoigne is not given much leeway, largely because of his wife beating...and playing for Rangers, but didn't Maradona get caught using the hand of God to batter his girlfriend?

Regarding the earlier comments about lassies, I think the whole thing started around the rise of celebrity culture.
Then social media jumped onto the bandwagon and the entire thing exploded.
Maybe it was just a few at first then more and now every lassie will want or need to look a certain way or they will be outcast or treated badly.
Programs like geordie shore towie or love Island only exaggerate it and the pressure that this puts on girls is insane.
Then you have the ridiculous situation of perhaps 80-90% of women totally insecure about themselves and needing to fill this with taking selfies or glamorous shots and uploading them for attention on a daily basis.
Its all really sad but its too far gone now.
People might say well they seem to enjoy doing it leave them alone its harmless. I'm not so sure.

For what its worth I think most of them look better without all the fake stuff and trying to like a duck.

I have watched it. Hitler was probably a nice enough kid as well but he went a bit awry later..
Gascoigne is not given much leeway, largely because of his wife beating...and playing for Rangers, but didn't Maradona get caught using the hand of God to batter his girlfriend?

I obviously missed the mass genocide bit of the documentary...
As for hitting women, not that I am aware of? By that, I mean I don’t see it listed in his Wikipedia.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Regarding the earlier comments about lassies, I think the whole thing started around the rise of celebrity culture.
Then social media jumped onto the bandwagon and the entire thing exploded.
Maybe it was just a few at first then more and now every lassie will want or need to look a certain way or they will be outcast or treated badly.
Programs like geordie shore towie or love Island only exaggerate it and the pressure that this puts on girls is insane.
Then you have the ridiculous situation of perhaps 80-90% of women totally insecure about themselves and needing to fill this with taking selfies or glamorous shots and uploading them for attention on a daily basis.
Its all really sad but its too far gone now.
People might say well they seem to enjoy doing it leave them alone its harmless. I'm not so sure.

For what its worth I think most of them look better without all the fake stuff and trying to like a duck.

Every lassie under 30 taking photos of themselves in a pub/club toilet mirror for why??????

Women are a very strange species and generally worth the watching

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

As for hitting women, not that I am aware of? By that, I mean I don’t see it listed in his Wikipedia.

I googled "Maradona girlfriend abuse" and apparently there's video but I didn't watch it so can't really comment. 

16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Looks like it, I wasn't aware of that and he denied it both have addiction issues and obviously that will play into their behaviour but perhaps because Maradona was so good he will get a free pass.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurosport.com/football/maradona-accused-of-domestic-violence-after-video-leak_sto4714592/story-amp.shtml

6 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-28/diego-maradona-secretly-filmed-beating-his-girlfriend-after-row-over-mobile-phone

My point was he might have been a nice kid, but he didn't stay that way.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Looks like it, I wasn't aware of that and he denied it both have addiction issues and obviously that will play into their behaviour but perhaps because Maradona was so good he will get a free pass.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurosport.com/football/maradona-accused-of-domestic-violence-after-video-leak_sto4714592/story-amp.shtml

That's my point, he does. I'm playing devil's advocate a bit. I think it's strange how we choose what to overlook or forgive. 

Perhaps Maradona is given more leeway because one story of unproven abuse (I read your link and tried to watch the video but it’s not available) is less than what Gazza has been convicted of? Harassment, assault, racism, drink driving. Mourning the loss of a terrific footballer who came from nothing to have the world at his feet, and stuck it up our greatest rivals, doesn’t excuse or negate that he potentially hit a woman in fairness but I don’t feel the comparison is fair.

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

From that clip it could be as he said and he just slapped the phone out of her hand. Not nice but her voice sounded more annoyed than getting battered.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Perhaps Maradona is given more leeway because one story of unproven abuse (I read your link and tried to watch the video but it’s not available) is less than what Gazza has been convicted of? Harassment, assault, racism, drink driving. Mourning the loss of a terrific footballer who came from nothing to have the world at his feet, and stuck it up our greatest rivals, doesn’t excuse or negate that he potentially hit a woman in fairness but I don’t feel the comparison is fair.

As I said, I'm playing devil's advocate and the comparison to Gascoigne is only used because of the football connection. Is being good at football enough to be excused for his behaviour? Even allowing for addiction, he has an unpleasant history.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

As I said, I'm playing devil's advocate and the comparison to Gascoigne is only used because of the football connection. Is being good at football enough to be excused for his behaviour? Even allowing for addiction, he has an unpleasant history.

Nah, I appreciate that mate.
Is one incident (if there’s more then I’ll stand corrected) of disputed assault enough to write off his complete story? If he’d been convicted of numerous offences then I’d have no hesitation in saying yes. For what I know just now, that he came from abject poverty, became one of the best ever I don’t think so, and admittedly that he has a chequered past to show he’s human (I’m talking drink, drugs, sex, mafia) also appeals to me. A real maverick and perhaps one of the last we’ll see. I do withhold the right to change my opinion of him if more comes to light though.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's my point, he does. I'm playing devil's advocate a bit. I think it's strange how we choose what to overlook or forgive. 

See it all the time though, Gary Glitter was very average, rightly stuck in the jail. Michael Jackson has some incredibly odd relationships with children regardless of if anything actually happened and his records are played regularly. 

If we take the domestic abuse out of it clearly his reliance of the marching powder will have resulted in the misery of thousands of people from the funding of organised crime groups and obviously that's not something any of use could ever endorse but should we not mark the true talent and skill of a man because of his actions, I think we should but it should be framed in the appropriate picture. Gazza will be remembered as a fine footballer but as a man with a history of criminal activity and plagued with addiction issues. Peter Shilton won't be remembered. 

I agree with all of the above but a common thread for them all that I continually trot out is that there’s very few nice normal people that reach the pinnacle of their field. 
That doesn’t justify their behaviour but when they’re so absorbed in being the best in one particular aspect of their life, why is it such a surprise that they are lacking in other areas that us mortals take for granted?  That they are beatified for their singular talent rather than their wholesomeness is is as much down to us as them