Unpopular opinions.

I think it's becoming more and more popular to hate on Friends. It was good in its time. It's rapidly becoming more and more dated. It certainly doesn't deserve the acclaim it received, but as far as easy watching American television goes? It'd be mid-tier for me - Nowhere near the best, but absolutely nowhere near some of the drivel that's produced. Certainly better than comparative pish like Big Bang, Will & Grace, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Two and a Half Men, The Goldbergs & King of Queens to name but a few.

7 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I think the simplest explanation for why mediocre comedy is popular is most people are quite stupid and are unable to understand why something like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is funny. They are fundamentally lacking in the required brain circuitry to get anything funnier than tall lady falls over chair or man in dress says feck.

The simplest explanation is comedy is subjective. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace isn't objectively funny. It's funny to you, it's funny to a lotta people, but it isn't funny to everyone. If it was objectively funny, it'd be funny to everyone.

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Men Behaving Badly in "dreck" and Extras in "good stuff". 

Clearly at it. 

He can't disagree with you?

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

David Attenborough shouldn't be treated as some sort of expert in all things natural science (particularly climate science) just because he has produced some interesting programmes for TV.  

Also, I personally find that his distinctive narrating style has become somewhat tiresome, on a par with Ainsley Harriott memes on P&B, and helps continue the Archaic entrenched societal perception that things spoken in such a (posh) way should have more weighting over anything more 'common'.

Such favouring of 'feelings over knowledge' should also be punted when it comes to animal conservation, which now appears to about the preferential conservation of the (nice and furry) animals which we like the most.  I'm sure some beetle with a second head on its arse or whatever was never going to make the WWF logo shortlist, but a focus on animals which tug at the heart-strings of the public does little but treat the Earth as a giant zoo rather than a truly wild, evolving ecosystem.  Aye, pandas and polar bears are big business, but they're bound to be well down the  list when it comes to prioritising the conservation of species from a more scientific perspective.

43 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Gavin and Stacey is  a hugely underrated  comedy purely because of people's opinion that James Cordon is a c**t.

Nope; it's because those who, in your opinion, underrate it don't think it's as funny as you do. Don't try coming up with excuses for why people disagree with you; just accept it.

3 minutes ago, FemdomFilmFan said:

The simplest explanation is comedy is subjective. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace isn't objectively funny. It's funny to you, it's funny to a lotta people, but it isn't funny to everyone. If it was objectively funny, it'd be funny to everyone.

Nope; it's because those who, in your opinion, underrate it don't think it's as funny as you do. Don't try coming up with excuses for why people disagree with you; just accept it.

^^likes mrs brown's boys

7 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I think it's all tied up in how curious someone is in general. If you're an incurious person who has their needs satisfied by heinz tomato ketchup, carling, domino's and michael mcintyre then why would you be interested in anything else? I had a conversation with someone about the 1982 bladerunner - they said they hated it because it was boring and there were hardly any gun fights in it, I asked them if they appreciated Ridley Scott's depiction of an environmentally destroyed future earth based on his upbringing in Middlesbrough in the shadow of the ICI plant, or the reflection on what it means to be human in a world where this can be manufactured and just got a blank stare.

This post is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

15 minutes ago, FemdomFilmFan said: