E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

9 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Yes. I'm sure it was the same with first Mickey Flannigan thing last week....started instantly which surprised me as usually it shows how much data it is etc.

Some of the on demand stuff is downloaded automatically to the box to a reserved part of the hard drive that you cant see/access. I think its usually the "highlighted" shows

On Mobdro app one of my main channels is Fox Sports 1 but always seems to be down for some reason whereas all other US and Canadian channels are fine. On Cricfree FS1 is usually fine. Do these sites work by some volunteer somewhere in the world agreeing to feed their own signal to the site which would suggest the guy providing FS1 to Mobdro is failing in his duties? 

The maw has managed to get her payg shut down just as the time comes when she is actually going to need her phone.

I've been attempting to find a replacement, but since I'm on a contract, I'm way out of the loop on packs and recharging etc. Can anyone offer a quick idiot's guide, or failing that, tell me where on earth i can get an old-school payg sim deal?

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The maw has managed to get her payg shut down just as the time comes when she is actually going to need her phone.

I've been attempting to find a replacement, but since I'm on a contract, I'm way out of the loop on packs and recharging etc. Can anyone offer a quick idiot's guide, or failing that, tell me where on earth i can get an old-school payg sim deal?

Pretty much anywhere, all the networks still do them

However, if she is a customer of BT or SKY, check out their mobile deals as they have discounts for existing TV/phone/broadband customers.

I have my broadband with BT so got a decent discount off the family SIM bundle, but I could also have got decent money of Sky mobile too

ETA - sorry, should have made that a bit clearer. Sky and BT dont do PAYG (as far as I know) but they do do sim only contracts that, with the existing customer discount, might work out cheaper anyway.

Edited by Mr X

Just now, Mr X said:

Pretty much anywhere, all the networks still do them

However, if she is a customer of BT or SKY, check out their mobile deals as they have discounts for existing TV/phone/broadband customers.

I have my broadband with BT so got a decent discount off the family SIM bundle, but I could also have got decent money of Sky mobile too

I'd been looking at that BT one, thanks.

Good to hear they all still do them, but pretty much every site seems to be attempting to divert you towards packs with an automatic recharge, which look awfully like a contract in all but name.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

I'd been looking at that BT one, thanks.

Good to hear they all still do them, but pretty much every site seems to be attempting to divert you towards packs with an automatic recharge, which look awfully like a contract in all but name.

Yes, see my edit!

If she's not interested in even a cheap £5 contract, and has a 3G enabled mobile, you can't really beat 3 for PAYG.

This site is good for comparing PAYG prices - http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/compare-pay-as-you-go-networks

Just be aware that while most PAYG sims still offer standard top up your credit and use it till it runs out, they all seem to push you to buy their bundles/packs/add ons/goodybags that run for 30 days. You don't need to use them, just stick to the standard top up and ignore bundles unless you are going to be topping up more than £5 each month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having a bit of trouble when streaming films at the moment, essentially the picture is 'jumpy' or 'choppy' a couple of times per minute, maybe skips a second or so each time. The sound is uninterrupted and it isn't buffering. Seems to happen on any platform - Netflix, Prime, random streams.

The internet is a good connection (Virgin fibre) and I've never had this previously. Using Chrome on Windows 8 (didh't like 10, the laptop is i5 and a fast processor, specs escape me). I've updated Flash with no success and the browser doesn't need updated either. Anyone any ideas on how to resolve?

A pretty minor issue but it's exceptionally off-putting. 

Having a bit of trouble when streaming films at the moment, essentially the picture is 'jumpy' or 'choppy' a couple of times per minute, maybe skips a second or so each time. The sound is uninterrupted and it isn't buffering. Seems to happen on any platform - Netflix, Prime, random streams.
The internet is a good connection (Virgin fibre) and I've never had this previously. Using Chrome on Windows 8 (didh't like 10, the laptop is i5 and a fast processor, specs escape me). I've updated Flash with no success and the browser doesn't need updated either. Anyone any ideas on how to resolve?

Is that just your laptop that has the problem?

Is that just your laptop that has the problem?

Yes, however I don't really have any other devices that I'd stream clips on - no desktop, iPad etc.

Could be a laptop issue but general performance seems to be OK.

9 hours ago, Paco said:

Defraggin the hard drive might help - unless its an SSD in which case dont!

Check task manager when youre streaming and see if the CPU use or memory is maxing out

Yes, however I don't really have any other devices that I'd stream clips on - no desktop, iPad etc.

Could be a laptop issue but general performance seems to be OK.

Unless this is 1998 then don't bother defragging your hard drive. I haven't seen a W7+ machine that has ever been more than 5% fragmented and it would have little impact on streaming quality anyway.

It might be worth trying out a different browser, there could be a Chrome add-in that is impacting streaming quality.

Have you not got a phone or something that you could test streaming quality on, as I'm not massively convinced that it isn't your router causing grief.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know anywhere that does internal power cables for a PC?

I need a 6 or 8-pin PCIe to 2 x 6-pin PCIe for a graphics card. I can find some online but all but one are female to male - I need m-m. The only one Ive found is going to take like 3 weeks to come

Does anyone know anywhere that does internal power cables for a PC?
I need a 6 or 8-pin PCIe to 2 x 6-pin PCIe for a graphics card. I can find some online but all but one are female to male - I need m-m. The only one Ive found is going to take like 3 weeks to come

This is a turnaround. Usually you are our oracle[emoji106]