The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

How can you even compare ZZ Top and Pantera? Unless of course he had only heard Pantera during their "Hair Metal" origins. But even then...

I did stipulate it. I said that Pantera, when it was the Abbots, Anselmo and Brown, didn't release a bad album. Then I went individually and said that Anselmo and Vinnie Paul are amongst the best at what they do. And that Dimebag is definitely one of the best guitarists ever, maybe even the best. He still refused to budge.

To be fair, if you used musical talent to explain to me why I should like a band more than another, I'd probably treat it with the same apathy.

Dillinger Escape Plan are amazingly gifted, but I'd rather jump from the roof of my house than listen to them.

To be fair, if you used musical talent to explain to me why I should like a band more than another, I'd probably treat it with the same apathy.

Dillinger Escape Plan are amazingly gifted, but I'd rather jump from the roof of my house than listen to them.

Yeah but then the fusion is like multiplying them all together. Then add a factor of 10 and you're getting close.

Ohh never noticed this thread. I like metal of most varieties, right now loving Killswitch And Shadows Fall (who I only discovered this morning) - if you can keep your head still listening to them I'd say you have no pulse.

Also, the Set This World Ablaze live DVD from Killswitch is well worth looking for, what a show. If I can find out how to just rip the audio from it I'd be laughing, some of the live versions are unreal.

Killswitch Engage are on my "to do" list thanks to that DVD which means the next time they do a headline tour here, I'll be there.

As for Shadows Fall, I was right into them when they brought out their debut album. I've completely forgotten about them over time though.

Killswitch engage are amazing live, saw them initally at taste of chaos and wasnt really that into them as I only went to that cause in flames were supporting. I came out a huge fan of killswitch then managed to see them again at Download and loved it. I actually really like Howards vocals hes one of the best metal singers out there, but Alive or just breathing could be the greatest album they ever done, and Howard does a great job on vocals for rose of sharyn and last serenade.

Iv wanted to see shadows fall for a long time and actually had tickets to see them at gigs supporting and missed them worst part was it wasnt even my fault

Disappointed with the lack of Trivium in this thread. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but I fecking love them! biggrin.gif

Me too. Seen them twice. Supporting the Irons and headlining at Fat Sams.

Faves are:

Iron Maiden

Slipknot

Trivium

Machine Head

Metallica

Judas Priest

Anthrax

A7X

Stone Sour are OK. Good concert on Tuesday.

Been listening to a lot of Iron Maiden these last couple of weeks. I forgot just how good an album 'Brave New World' is.

Any news of an upcoming tour? Still haven't managed to catch them live yet (shameful I know).

Feckin hope so. I've got withdrawals!!!

Fave album is 7th Son but TBH, I love them all.

The band at the top of my "I must see them live" list is Gojira

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gv7fo6mefo

I saw them supporting In Flames at the Barrowlands in 2008 but I had only just started listening to them. I'd love to see again and as a headliner.

I've been listening to The Ways of All Flesh a lot this week.

I also wouldn't mind experiencing the full force of Meshuggah live.

Edited by NorthernLights

I don't listen to Gojira but remember seeing them live some years ago (Can't remember why) at King Tut's - they played a song called 'Love' and it was absolutely devastating. Thoroughlly enjoyed their performance.

I also wouldn't mind experiencing the full force of Meshuggah live.

Saw them both at Bloodstock, both were superb. Meshuggah took ages coming on while the sound was being set up, then when they came out they did one song, realised the sound wasn't that good, then they just stood still with psychotic stares to the crowd on their faces while the sound techs messed about for 5 minutes, then they launched straight into Bleed. Fantastic from the point onwards.

Gojira followed Gwar on the Sunday which worked well for them; as fun as Gwar are live it's all about the show and they're not up to much musically, so a band as technically gifted as Gojira sounded even better by comparison.