May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite The Guardian's readership being significantly below its competitors (i.e. The Times and Telegraph), 86% of BBC recruitment advertising went to it.If people want media plurality, complaining about Murdoch's Sky News/News Corp's 22% share of media consumption when the BBC command 39% is more than a bit odd. Indeed, you could combine the media consumption figures for Sky News, News Corp, ITN and ITV and it still wouldn't reach the BBC figure!

Possibly because it has a dedicated media advertising section? Not sure if the the Murdoch rag and the Torygraph have that.

Possibly because it has a dedicated media advertising section? Not sure if the the Murdoch rag and the Torygraph have that.

Even if they did the BBC wouldn't use it.

The state funded broadcaster giving funds to help prop up it's left loving, tax avoiding newspaper chum.

It's quite hilarious that some people whine about Murdochs news corp, when the state funded broadcaster in this country has the majority of news consumption and peddles a left of centre line and has done for decades. At least people have a choice whether to purchase Murdochs rags or his TV packages. They have no choice over the licence fee.

I'm pretty sure they do (my dad gets the Telegraph and I get the Times). They also have readerships which make The Guardian look like an insignificant fringe publication.

86% is absolutely ridiculous and betrays the monumental bias in the BBC. Anyone who denies it is deluding themselves.

I'm pretty sure they do (my dad gets the Telegraph and I get the Times). They also have readerships which make The Guardian look like an insignificant fringe publication.

86% is absolutely ridiculous and betrays the monumental bias in the BBC. Anyone who denies it is deluding themselves.

To be fair though, the right have consistently demanded the end of the BBC. Would you not favour those that support over those that want your end? I'm not saying that it is correct to do so, they are supposed to be impartial, but it is at least understandable. Their position on the Union annoys me far more, but I guess thats because I'm a relative centrist rather than on the left or right.

To be fair though, the right have consistently demanded the end of the BBC. Would you not favour those that support over those that want your end? I'm not saying that it is correct to do so, they are supposed to be impartial, but it is at least understandable. Their position on the Union annoys me far more, but I guess thats because I'm a relative centrist rather than on the left or right.

No they haven't, ever. They have demanded an end to the state funding of the BBC. Quite a different position altogether.

I'd be quite happy to cough up to subscribe to the BBC as I do think a lot of what they do is very good. I just object to having no choice whether I pay for them or not.

To be fair though, the right have consistently demanded the end of the BBC. Would you not favour those that support over those that want your end?

And in the case of the Times, a global media organisation that is a direct competitor.

I'm not saying that it is correct to do so, they are supposed to be impartial, but it is at least understandable. Their position on the Union annoys me far more, but I guess thats because I'm a relative centrist rather than on the left or right.

The clue might just be in the name. ;)

At least people have a choice whether to purchase Murdochs rags or his TV packages. They have no choice over the licence fee.

The problem being, of course, is that then there would be literally no left of centre mouthpiece. I can see it from a competition perspective, but frankly the Murdoch empire gets quite enough government help to continue in its sleazy, amoral, partisan way.

Frankly, as a centre lefty, I say f**k the lot of you and pay up. :D

First of all you're being more than a little disingenuous about lumping "the right" into one camp, let alone assuming that The Daily Telegraph and The Times have a uniform editorial view on it conforming to this "right" camp.

Secondly, it's advertising for recruitment. It's not about ringing endorsements of the organisation in question or otherwise. It's thoroughly partial, reflective of an institutional left-wing bias, and would inevitably lead to a bias of employees given it is... recruitment advertising.

Worth just reminding people of the readership figures over the relevant period in which 86% of BBC recruitment advertising was blown on Guardian Newsprint...

The Times - 1.8 million

The Daily Telegraph - 1.8 million

The Guardian - 1.2 million

Sunday Times - 3.1 million

Sunday Telegraph - 1.6 million

The Observer - 1.3 million

I'd happily pay them the licence fee for Test Match Special alone.

Makes you proud to be British when that tune starts...

Ah yes, the England and Wales cricket team being regarded as British. A very apt example on so, so many levels.

The problem being, of course, is that then there would be literally no left of centre mouthpiece. I can see it from a competition perspective, but frankly the Murdoch empire gets quite enough government help to continue in its sleazy, amoral, partisan way.

Frankly, as a centre lefty, I say f**k the lot of you and pay up. :D

Why not? Isn't it financially viable? If it isn't then why should the taxpayer fund the politics of the left?

And it's your choice to not buy Murdochs wares as is your right. Your money, your choice and that's absolutely fine. I don't see why I should have to fund a left of centre biased state broadcaster though.

I do pay up for it and I would continue to pay up through choice. But I'd like to have the freedom to choose all the same.

Ah yes, the England and Wales cricket team being regarded as British. A very apt example on so, so many levels.

Its been captained by a few Scots in its time.

It is the only time you will probably find Scotsmen actively wanting a team labelled England to win at sport. :lol:

And Welsh and Irish too :P

:huh: They ARE British you tosser. :1eye

:lol:

I can see him spitting feathers about cricket being an "English" game. :lol:

It was Scotsmen that took the game round the empire all the same India, Pakistan, SA West Indies etc. <_<

That will really have him in a state of apoplexy :P

Archived