Defunct Clubs

shugstero

There's quite a few that lay claim to being the oldest, although some haven't played in the Juniors the whole time, were continuations of other clubs or had gaps of a few years where they weren't active.

Most clubs' records from that far back are a bit sketchy to say the least. To illustrate this, I was talking to the Ants' club historian who had found out recently that they were actually formed two years later than anybody thought. :)

On the same theme, the current Kilsyth Rangers date from 1913 although you could make a case for 1945 as that is when we reformed after nearly six years in abeyance. You could also make a case for 1891 or earlier as there is a reference in the Vale of Leven book to a team of this name playing the Vale in the Scottish senior cup. They tanked as 8-1 though so we'll just pass over that one quickly. Also I have a single reference to a another game in 1908 or thereabouts.

The whole thing is a bit of a minefield and there is little point in making claims unless you have very solid evidence to back it up.

Thanks for aeriel photo of the three grounds in east end of glasgow, it helped jog my memory, I definitely was at Parkhead and Strathclydes ground, and just maybe at the original Bridgeton Waverley ground, definitely at Dennistoun Waverley more than once.

Also two Blantyre Celtic parks, again one a dog track and also latterly a speedway venue. The original Royal Albert ground as well, another dog track, with a big wooden grandstand, only one visit, probably in late 50's, neede to check this one.

On the same theme, the current Kilsyth Rangers date from 1913 although you could make a case for 1945 as that is when we reformed after nearly six years in abeyance. You could also make a case for 1891 or earlier as there is a reference in the Vale of Leven book to a team of this name playing the Vale in the Scottish senior cup. They tanked as 8-1 though so we'll just pass over that one quickly. Also I have a single reference to a another game in 1908 or thereabouts.

The whole thing is a bit of a minefield and there is little point in making claims unless you have very solid evidence to back it up.

Thanks for aeriel photo of the three grounds in east end of glasgow, it helped jog my memory, I definitely was at Parkhead and Strathclydes ground, and just maybe at the original Bridgeton Waverley ground, definitely at Dennistoun Waverley more than once.

Also two Blantyre Celtic parks, again one a dog track and also latterly a speedway venue. The original Royal Albert ground as well, another dog track, with a big wooden grandstand, only one visit, probably in late 50's, neede to check this one.

Royal Albert's Robert Smillie Park lasted until maybe 10 years ago, although the stand was long gone by then. Found some footage from the 90s from there - I was only there a couple of times, and the only thing I really remember about it was that it was one of those grounds where you always seemed to be miles away from the game on account of the track around it.

Royal Albert's Robert Smillie Park lasted until maybe 10 years ago, although the stand was long gone by then. Found some footage from the 90s from there - I was only there a couple of times, and the only thing I really remember about it was that it was one of those grounds where you always seemed to be miles away from the game on account of the track around it.

The track was banked at the bends and was used by the Royal Albert cycling club which,just like the fitba team,is still going strong. :)

ETA Awaits tit-for-tat reminder from RRG that the forum is about Junior fitba. :lol:

Edited by tommyboy

Thanks for that. Was it really only 10 years ago - seems like an age [yep, 2007 was apparantly the chuck out date]. Yeah, you did feel far from the pitch but I liked the old Robert Smillie Park & was sad to see its passing.

Did a bit more digging - looks like the guy who filmed that did some great work documenting various grounds back about then. Going off topic a bit, as most of these teams are still around, but how's about these for some West Region blasts from the past?

Old Petershill Park:

Old Southcroft Park:

Moore Park (Ants):

Station Park, Baillieston:

Brandon Park, Bellshill

Is the present Petershill Park built on the site of the old one?

It's at a 90 degree angle to the old one a wee bit west. There's still a bit of the wall of the old one left on Southloch St leading up to where the social club was, and an old set of stairs as you take the path up from Petershill Rd, but that's about it.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone would have known my dad. He played for Dreghorn 1950s his name was Robert Weir. I'm just trying to gain an insight into my dad as a player, he went from there to Killwinning Rangers. Would be grateful for any information or even the odd picture which may be still in exsistance.

Just wondering if anyone would have known my dad. He played for Dreghorn 1950s his name was Robert Weir. I'm just trying to gain an insight into my dad as a player, he went from there to Killwinning Rangers. Would be grateful for any information or even the odd picture which may be still in exsistance.

Feel free to ask on Meadow Fans Forum.

http://irvinemeadowfc.proboards.com/ You may get some information there from a couple of our supporters who help me out with historical articles for the programmes.

Edited by Shannon

I mind seeing the old Penicuik at Eastfield many times before they disappeared for about 10 years and Eastfield became McKays supermarket then tescos.

Also Bonnybridge and Baillieston. Is Baillieston's park still there or is it hooses?

And at least the builders gave a nod to the history of the place as the address in one of the estates is Station Park.

I remember going to Baillieston in a Scottish Cup tie in the 70's and the ground was well filled and it was a great game , even though the weather conditions weren't great.

The snow had been cleared off the pitch and there were big piles of snow all round the park and it led, indirectly, to a bit of trouble as the younger element of both supports were pelting each other with snowballs and it was quite lighthearted till one of the locals got a cut above his eye when a snowball had a stone in it

This angered a few folk and there was a melee on the terrace , which spilled onto the pitch and was a bit hairy at times.

Not sure if that was the game where Baillieston protested about Cumnock playing a Player who , allegedly , hadn't been reinstated correctly

Always felt it was a shame that Baillieston went out of existence after the commitee up there took the developers money without having a new home in place to go to and another famous club bit the dust