The Falkirk FC Thread

Too many as usual judging our players after seeing them for 5 minutes.

Even if we'd sat through one game, it would be a minimum of 90 minutes. As it is, we've had five games plus preseason. Players have also played for other clubs which lets people form views. Having opinions is what football is about.

Didn't mind the change of formation yesterday & can see what Houston was trying to achieve but don't think Muirhead the right man for the job.

However what I didn't like was the failure to change it when we needed a goal. To stick with it when chasing the game seemed odd to me.

Overall left feeling a sense of frustration at lack of ambition as I thought from the selection we handed impetus to them.

1 hour ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Absolutely brutal chat from Back Post Minter.

Made me chuckle actually. 

Whilst not terrible yesterday, we didn't give Hibs as much of a 'go' as we were tail end of last season. Definitely need to strengthen the midfield with pace and flair IMO. Could be Sibbs season if he plays more through the middle though - 200 first team games at his age is outstanding. 

Though he lacks pace I'd say Craigen is a starter from what I've seen of him.

Just now, BountyBairn said:

Whilst not terrible yesterday, we didn't give Hibs as much of a 'go' as we were tail end of last season. Definitely need to strengthen the midfield with pace and flair IMO. Could be Sibbs season if he plays more through the middle though - 200 first team games at his age is outstanding. 

At this level Sibbald is the kind of player you build your team around, he's good enough it's worth changing formation/players to get the best from him. Fucking criminal if he has to spend another season at LM. 

Still early days but it's plainly obvious that we lack creativity outwith Sibbald.

Houston still not sure of his best strike combination but that will come with time.

Be interesting to see how we approach the next two away games as we could find ourselves winless after 3 games. 

Some good points from yesterday we need to build on.

5 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

At this level Sibbald is the kind of player you build your team around, he's good enough it's worth changing formation/players to get the best from him. Fucking criminal if he has to spend another season at LM. 

His best season to date was playing LM, he is a talent but I fear he may not reach the level of his potential, lesser players have left an made a go of things. I'd personally look at the 3-5-2 formation as he was left to do his own thing in that formation, only prob is we have too many central mids who can play wide in a four but not as a wing back, which is why we will be back to a flat four

5 hours ago, BountyBairn said:

I don't get the pace outlook, pace is more useful in the final third, not knocking it in midfield but very few teams play with natural wide players to exploit pace. We need a player that can play a killer pass/eye of a needle pass more than we need pace

Rogers

Gasparotto

Watson

Muirhead

Leahy

Kerr

Sibbald

Craigen

Kidd

Austin

McHugh

is what I'd go with . You've also got Hippo who could play left wingback if necessary and Taiwo could cover Kidd. Still no idea why we brought Rankin in though. Complete panic buy and waste of money.

Not going into full blown meltdown but I do think Saturday might be what we see a lot of this season. We were far from awful and I would say some positives. Cummings was making life difficult for us by playing right on the last man which we couldn't find a way of stopping. Might be me but I cant seem to remember him being given those balls over the top as frequently last season? Either way it worked and we couldn't stop it. Think its time to drop Baird and try something different up top as I don't think he's been effective since about Christmas last year. Midfield wise we are no doubt going to be able to break play up frequently but find ourselves running out of ideas I think. As said previously this needs to be time for Sibbs to step up, finding space and quick balls to get us round defences. Rankin and Taiwo aren't going to give you much invention anyway.

Anyway highlight for me has to be the guy hitting the crossbar at half time. Gave the old boy no chance before he floated it onto the bar. Man of the match.

2 minutes ago, southstand_bairn said:

Not going into full blown meltdown but I do think Saturday might be what we see a lot of this season. We were far from awful and I would say some positives. Cummings was making life difficult for us by playing right on the last man which we couldn't find a way of stopping. Might be me but I cant seem to remember him being given those balls over the top as frequently last season? Either way it worked and we couldn't stop it. Think its time to drop Baird and try something different up top as I don't think he's been effective since about Christmas last year. Midfield wise we are no doubt going to be able to break play up frequently but find ourselves running out of ideas I think. As said previously this needs to be time for Sibbs to step up, finding space and quick balls to get us round defences. Rankin and Taiwo aren't going to give you much invention anyway.

Anyway highlight for me has to be the guy hitting the crossbar at half time. Gave the old boy no chance before he floated it onto the bar. Man of the match.

With the likes of Henderson and McGeough in the side and a relatively small front line Hibs concentrated on a lot of short passing quick moving football last season. On saturday with Holt up front and a different midfield they could afford to play the long ball more often. I always felt the way hibs played last season suited us and was why we had a decent record against them. On the other hand a team full of big units like Killie we struggled badly against. Unfortunately despite his comments Houston has failed miserably to overcome this issue.