The Falkirk FC Thread

9 hours ago, Trump said:

With our season petering out already, third being an absolute best for us, it's time to blood the younger players in and make this a developmental season. We couldn't get up last year when we had a much better squad so why try now?

Gallacher at left back. May be throwing him in the deep end but Kingsley was like that to start and look where he's ended up. Despite liking Leahy his distribution is woeful, and the former is a much better prospect.

Get 3/4s of a season out of Luca and Grant. McCracken has done well to be fair but where's the benefit of playing him in a season where we aren't pushing towards going up?

Young strikers coming through as well, with one out on loan we have a total of 6 strikers registered with us, far too many when playing 2 up front.

I would have waited until after Christmas before making a post like this if we were still in the same 'meh' slump. I think to say our season is petering out is crazy at this stage. Aye we have dropped points where we should be gaining but we are only 6 points behind 2nd and given the way results go in this league that could easily be made up with everyone beating each other. probably sound like a happy clapper here to some but I think it's too early to throw the towel in and accept 3rd, as if that is even a God given right for us to suggest we will. 

I would have waited until after Christmas before making a post like this if we were still in the same 'meh' slump. I think to say our season is petering out is crazy at this stage. Aye we have dropped points where we should be gaining but we are only 6 points behind 2nd and given the way results go in this league that could easily be made up with everyone beating each other. probably sound like a happy clapper here to some but I think it's too early to throw the towel in and accept 3rd, as if that is even a God given right for us to suggest we will. 

I don't think playing these younger players would be throwing in the towel though. We couldn't get promotion last year with a better and younger squad, never mind this year with a tougher league and a worse squad. Give them 3/4s of a season to gel for the players we would look to be keeping beyond this season and prepare for next season where we should be making a better go, hoping we recruit better players next summer to add to the group. You're not a happy clapper, I admire your optimism. Mines has completely evaporated since the recruitment in the close season and the start of this season, compared to last.

6 minutes ago, Trump said:

I don't think playing these younger players would be throwing in the towel though. We couldn't get promotion last year with a better and younger squad, never mind this year with a tougher league and a worse squad. Give them 3/4s of a season to gel for the players we would look to be keeping beyond this season and prepare for next season where we should be making a better go, hoping we recruit better players next summer to add to the group. You're not a happy clapper, I admire your optimism. Mines has completely evaporated since the recruitment in the close season and the start of this season, compared to last.

It does seem a bit contradictory though to suggest we should play our youngsters to get them up to speed for next season for a better go at the same league, yet that doesn't constitute throwing in the towel for this season ? 

With our season petering out already, third being an absolute best for us, it's time to blood the younger players in and make this a developmental season. We couldn't get up last year when we had a much better squad so why try now?

Gallacher at left back. May be throwing him in the deep end but Kingsley was like that to start and look where he's ended up. Despite liking Leahy his distribution is woeful, and the former is a much better prospect.

Get 3/4s of a season out of Luca and Grant. McCracken has done well to be fair but where's the benefit of playing him in a season where we aren't pushing towards going up?

Young strikers coming through as well, with one out on loan we have a total of 6 strikers registered with us, far too many when playing 2 up front.

If we put youngsters in, I don't think 3rd or even 4th place will be an option. Maybe if by after Christmas the season is pertering out, as you say, then yes by all means.
This league is cut throat and it's difficult to predict any result.
I am hopeful that our challengers, Raith, QOS and Morton will fall away when injuries and suspensions kick in with their lesser squads, some might say QOS have already started to fail.
I'm all for giving youth a chance but there's a time for that and it's not now, a couple of wins and we're back in the melting pot.
Onwards and Upwards!

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

One or two getting blooded as the season goes on... Absolutely.
We need to see more of Austin. I think we could confidently put Gallagher in there if needed. Blues and Langton surely could get a shout off the bench at home against lesser teams. Same with Henderson. We can introduce these boys without having to abandon our season.

Out of interest who are the lesser teams ?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well in our current form its a difficult one but if we plan to introduce young boys for a run out then at home against teams in the bottom 3 or 4 would be the time to do it no?

eg Dumbarton/Ayr are a lesser team than Hibs/Dundee Utd et cetera. And thats no disrespect to Dumbarton or Ayr, thats just the way it is.

There's no easy games in this league home or away, Dumbarton have great record at the TFS, Ayr were the better team earlier at the TFS also. Part time teams in this league isn't a reflection of how part time teams were 5-10yr ago. Ian McCall hit on the nail pre season when it was suggested Ayr could go Full time, He felt he could get better players part time than he could Full time and reckoned they'd be better part time.

The fact full time clubs have been relegated before part time clubs in recent years,suggest the gap isn't as wide as it once was.

I'm all for bleeding youngsters but there is no reason why it can't be on merit.

Lesser teams I would've thought would be anyone with a smaller budget than us which I would think would be everyone apart from DU and Hibs. 3rd place should be our minimum position. Anything more is a bonus although we should be at least giving DU a fight for second place as their no great shakes. Hibs should really be walking this league even though their in my opinion not as good a side as last season. We arent a patch on last season and DU arent anywhere near as good as Rangers were last season. Plus they dont have a diddy as their manager.

At this stage and current league standing, if they are good enough, definitely get them involved, that goes across the board for any player. Don't just throw them in the now to give them game time if we already have better options in the same position just so they have more time to 'gel'. 

At this stage and current league standing, if they are good enough, definitely get them involved, that goes across the board for any player. Don't just throw them in the now to give them game time if we already have better options in the same position just so they have more time to 'gel'. 

Yeah on merit, hence the players I suggested being Gallacher and Luca for example as I don't think there's much between Leahy and McCracken respectively.

McCracken will be dropped when Grant comes back and Luca has played all season anyway. I'm sure Gallacher will get a few appearances but similar to o'hara and shepherd last season.

If we were intent on going to win the league I'd play McCracken ahead of Luca along with a fit Grant. In fact with our severe lack of width and abundance of central players, both defenders and midfielders, could play all 3 in a 352.

20 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

McCracken will be dropped when Grant comes back and Luca has played all season anyway. I'm sure Gallacher will get a few appearances but similar to o'hara and shepherd last season.

On paper the Luca and Grant partnership is the way forward, Im just not convinced Luca has the composure at the moment for us, not suggesting he wont in time but McCracken bar the Raith game has been the better of the two, tho the Raith game it was hard to separate who was the worst between them.

I cant see any of the younger players getting much a chance till the final third of the season position depending unless injuries or suspensions come into play

Great result, we didn't look as good without Austin and Henderson but still played well. I think i'd give Grant a week or 2 before bringing him back to first team. impressed with Langton and Shepherd up front and some of the other youngsters are coming along nicely . 

Edited by knee jerk reaction

4 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Great result, we didn't look as good without Austin and Henderson but still played well. I think i'd give Grant a week or 2 before bringing him back to first team. impressed with Langton and Shepherd up front and some of the other youngsters are coming along nicely . 

Austin injured again?