The Falkirk FC Thread

I'd be inclined to go 4231:

Rogers

Kidd/Muirhead - Grant/McCracken - Gasparotto/Watson - Leahy/Gallagher

Kerr/Rankin - Taiwo/Sibbald

Craigen/Baird/Shepherd - Sibbs/Craigen/Hippo - Hippo/Sibbs

Miller/McHugh/Baird/Austin/Sheps/O'Hara

Keeps our more effective players in more or less their best positions, although highlights the lack of a decent right mid (with pace). Used to feel that was Shepherds for the taking but he's flying in a central role for the dev squad.

admittedly only 5mins worth of highlights but Craigan did look pretty impressive when he featured; someone playing positive box to box link up is what we've badly needed for long enough. Great build up for the goal, movement off the ball, and unlucky to hit the post 2nd half. 

Surely now deserves a chance for regular start - in that position. Looked a different player. 

4 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

admittedly only 5mins worth of highlights but Craigan did look pretty impressive when he featured; someone playing positive box to box link up is what we've badly needed for long enough. Great build up for the goal, movement off the ball, and unlucky to hit the post 2nd half. 

Surely now deserves a chance for regular start - in that position. Looked a different player. 

Aye and I think the man that may benefit most could be Sibbald. I don't think Sibbs likes responsibility and a wee spell on the bench or in a role that doesn't see him as the 'main man' as far as creating things is concerned could do him a lot of good!

I think a formation of Taiwo, Kerr and Sibbald behind Craigen with McHugh and Baird up front could work well.

On 20/11/2016 at 14:16, Trump said:

Our problem is we have decent players but I'm struggling to think of a shape/formation that accommodates the best starting 11.

Fortunately you are not picking the side

The fact that this is even a question raises a few issues
1. Are we not recruiting or developing like we used to?
2. If this is the case then why are we getting excellent results in the development league
3. Kingsley was introduced well before Houston came to us so why does Houston not give youth a chance?
4. If we continue of sign proven pros on decent ish wages who won't be signed for bigger clubs where will our future fortunes come from?

Don't get me wrong I like Houston and think he has generally been good for the club but his failure to take risks/ chances on youth could leave us in financial troubles!

At the AGM Houston stated that he expects Tony Gallacher to be our  starting left back by the end of the season. I reckon if we were to fall off the pace in the play off race you'd see a lot of youngsters getting a bit more  first team experience . To give him his due a lot of the young players that would be getting a game just now have been sold from under him. The likes of Blair, Biabi and McGrandles would all be in the current squad if not first team. When you start to flog players before they even get much of a game in your first team then it means your next set of players to come through are getting younger and younger. Ideally your youngsters coming through should be getting at least two or three years in the first team before moving on and then the next set of youngsters are ready to move up. Unfortunately our bod's policy of flogging the family silver to the first bidder has meant this hasn't happened.

I think the difference is that we don't have to play the youngsters and rely on them as much as we did before. Presley's hand was forced because all we had were the likes of Kingsley because we had no money to bring anyone else in. I thought kinglesy was pish the first time I saw him. So I don't think it was, that in the past we have fast tracked our promising dev players because they were good enough or wanted to. It was because we had to.

Think a few of the lads in the developmental squad will get a chance next season if we're still in the championship, Miller will be another year older and probably be retired, Kerr as well possibly. Leahy will be gone.
I'd like to see O'Hara Henderson and Gallagher all get roles in the first team next season.