The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Took the following from Gordon Youngs post match interview:

1. Said he had spoken to Paul about the shape behaving his mind. If he was talking to Paul on Monday or Tuesday when Paul was still an employee, then why was the assistant manager coming up with formations and not the manager? If he spoke to Paul after Tuesday when it was his remit to pick the team, why was he consulting with a former employee?

2. Ended the interview by saying that he wished the players all the best. Can we assume he is leaving?

He's Hartley's stooge. 

He'll be leaving, likely to continue as 

Latvia assistant. Ray is bringing his own assistant with him. 

Guest Back Post Misses
Latapy was a poor man's Stainrod. Froxy is a poor man's Froxy. 

Heard it all now. Stainrod was undoubtedly wonderful for the club but was with us for 15 months mostly in the 2nd tier. Russell played for 5 years mostly in the top league in his mid to late 30’s. In a couple of those seasons was arguably amongst the best players in the country.

He left in 2008/09 and arguably we have been on the slide since.

3 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Gordon Young is gone thankfully & hopefully is followed by that 1970s PE teacher who must be the worst fitness coach in history. A glorified water boy.

Saw a quote from an article about that Ritchie guy before of :-

"In short, if the players hate it, however beneficial any exercise could be, he won’t be forcing them to do it."

He seems to have some pedigree but we are definitely not a fit side compared to others. 

37 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

See McGhee is saying he's "gutted to be out for a while". Hope that's not too ominous. Need him back in there 

A defeat to Welsh piss would be a fitting rock bottom point before the recovery begins in earnest.

Looking at last year's table, we had 3 points from our first 7 games.

By Jan 1st we had 14 points from 17 games.

Difference is I guess that there's no Brechin, so 14 points by Jan 1st could well be 10th. Can this squad get 14 points from the next 13 games? Mmm.

I wish I had the answer to the above. 

Obviously the players yesterday would be trying to impress the new manager and so it should have been an improved performance. 

I myself chose to take in a cracking eos game and was thoroughly entertained for ninety minutes including a pie and a pint for a Tenner. 

So was it an improvement or do we still look likely to concede weekly. 

1 minute ago, wullie robb said:

I wish I had the answer to the above. 

Obviously the players yesterday would be trying to impress the new manager and so it should have been an improved performance. 

I myself chose to take in a cracking eos game and was thoroughly entertained for ninety minutes including a pie and a pint for a Tenner. 

So was it an improvement or do we still look likely to concede weekly. 

From where we are, if someone offered me 14 points at Jan 1st, I'd take it rather than roll the dice and play the matches.

I suspect we might be on fewer than that.

Don't you just hate going fishing and you catch the wrong fish? Latapy leaving has nothing at all to do with the slide we are on. It's been a decade of shite managers, shite board decisions and shite signings. Latapy was physically done when he left us, he likely couldn't have played on even if he had wanted to at any appreciable level. 

We'll never know what Stainrod would have been like in the top flight with us, but for me at least he was a far more exciting player to watch. Your mileage may vary. 

Ritchie clearly needs to get to f**k then, those bums should be getting chased up fucking sand dunes until they win again. Proper fitness training would probably get another yard out of Harrison. Proper nutrition and work ups and downs would help with all those niggles everyone keeps having. 

I think Mitchell is still rehabbing from injury at the moment? 

I think 2 goals to the league leaders is an improvement over 3 to Queens, especially on a day when Queens were riding Ayr ragged. Next game will prove that, or give the lie to it. 

I just hope people don’t start laying into McKinnon if he cannot get results out of this group between now and January. Hopefully we all accept that our results to date were not just about Hartley’s man management or his ridiculously baffling formations and team selections.

As much as anything, McKinnon’s formation and player selection is going to be about keeping the score down. The players he has at his disposal capable of making a positive contribution as this level is less than eleven. Even with the best eleven currently at his disposal, there are no goals in the team, and chances of a clean sheet sit somewhere between “slim” and “none”.

From now til Christmas is likely to be a gruesome watch.

Heard it all now. Stainrod was undoubtedly wonderful for the club but was with us for 15 months mostly in the 2nd tier. Russell played for 5 years mostly in the top league in his mid to late 30’s. In a couple of those seasons was arguably amongst the best players in the country.

absolutely this. I remember a number of years ago having an in depth discussion with Brian rice at training 're stainrod versus latapy. now Brian rice was a very good cultured player in his own right and he was adamant latapy was a significantly better player than stainrod. I remember falkurk fans round me slagging latapy for not tracking back...look at what we are having to watch now. both players were legends

1 minute ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
44 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

absolutely this. I remember a number of years ago having an in depth discussion with Brian rice at training 're stainrod versus latapy. now Brian rice was a very good cultured player in his own right and he was adamant latapy was a significantly better player than stainrod. I remember falkurk fans round me slagging latapy for not tracking back...look at what we are having to watch now. both players were legends

"Better player" is a different question. Davie Weir was a better player than both of them. 

Stainrod could do things no other Falkirk player in my lifetime could with a football. 

Not just the goals from corners or the halfway line. I remember him kneeling on the ball then leaving two defenders probably still looking for where he went. 

Latapy was fabulous but in a different role. 

2 weeks now for McKinnon to sort this squad out into a basic and balanced team with effectively a bounce game in between. Hopefully we see some response from the BOD after the chants yesterday, I’m not naive enough to think Lang or Campbell will resign but they need to come out and apologise for what’s gone on. I’m not talking about this new model or any football based decision but how they’ve communicated directly with fans has been really poor. It’s time they acknowledged that and changed.

Our lack of goals may change if we play a 442 and get balls in for Haber to attack. I'd quite like to see two of Greenwood/Russel/Robson on the wings and get balls in.

Rudden has came through the Scottish youth internationals with Irving so if he's the same calibre as him id get him on the park straight away. Also 6ft 2 so should be good in the air

It's looking like a run of 4-5-1 up to the January window. Thing is, do we even have the player to hold a midfield 3?

I suppose we could shit house a few draws to try to stay close, but unless there's some amazing free agents kicking about, it's looking grim as a week in Ayr. 

Mutch/Mitchell 

Russell McGhee Harrison? Robson 

Petra Irving Muirhead Froxy Greenwood

Striker. 

Clutching at straws though. 

It's looking like a run of 4-5-1 up to the January window. Thing is, do we even have the player to hold a midfield 3?

I suppose we could shit house a few draws to try to stay close, but unless there's some amazing free agents kicking about, it's looking grim as a week in Ayr. 

Mutch/Mitchell 
Russell McGhee Harrison? Robson 
Petra Irving Muirhead Froxy Greenwood
                        Striker. 

Clutching at straws though. 
Maybe McKinnon will be able to sort out a back 4. Get McGhee in there when fit and hopefully he'll get a good partnership with someone like Harrison.

I think we need someone like Muirhead in the middle who will give a bit of dig in there so fair play to Young for at least trying that