The Falkirk FC Thread

So we got rid of our Academy which was I believe costing something of the nature of 100-150k per annum but we can afford to appoint a DoF during COVID times with no cash coming in?
We were also complaining that we are only getting in 150k of the free government handouts that are being offered to allow clubs to survive.
Frankly, I can’t help but feel there are better ways to spend our cash........

100% plus we are paying for two managers

8 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

So we got rid of our Academy which was I believe costing something of the nature of 100-150k per annum but we can afford to appoint a DoF during COVID times with no cash coming in?
We were also complaining that we are only getting in 150k of the free government handouts that are being offered to allow clubs to survive.
Frankly, I can’t help but feel there are better ways to spend our cash........

Because one of the main reasons we are where we are today is because we have a board that are completely clueless when it comes to football.  We need someone who knows the game inside out as a connection between the board and the management team.  We need someone who can hopefully prevent shambolic decisions like Hartley, McKinnon, the academy and Brentford model pish happening again.  Our recruitment has been dreadful for season upon season now and won't change until we do something about it. Hopefully this will make a huge difference and going by that interview will be the first steps towards introducing a new development team that will be followed by an academy at some point in the future.  I really can't see what would be a more important use of a few quid to be honest and I would presume the Rawlins will also be involved in this decision. Can't happen quick enough of you ask me and should've been done a long time ago.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Fully agree only correction to your post would be we had a board that were clueless, not now.

And what makes you think this Board will have any clout over big decision makers like Ritchie and Alexander who are still stinking the place out? Is anything really going to change unless Rawlins has a change of heart and wants to take control? Unfortunately I doubt it.

26 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Fully agree only correction to your post would be we had a board that were clueless, not now.

Clueless about football.  Whilst the new bod are a breath of fresh air I still don't see much football knowledge amongst them. Thankfully they see this and are correcting it with this appointment.  When McKinnon.was appointed I asked Margaret Lang at the fans forum about this whole issue and was told they were looking at setting up a football board. Like many things then it never materialised and we continued to go from one disaster to the next.  I'm glad that now 2 years down the line it looks like we're finally getting somewhere.

18 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

And what makes you think this Board will have any clout over big decision makers like Ritchie and Alexander who are still stinking the place out? Is anything really going to change unless Rawlins has a change of heart and wants to take control? Unfortunately I doubt it.

Surely the fact that they will be no longer part of a majority shareholding is a huge step forward. They won't be able to veto plans or push things through  like they did before . No need for the Rawlins to have a majority control.

2 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Agree, should Sevco not lose at the weekend it’s a simple null and void, Season wiped and gives one half of the bigot bro’s another hit at ten. Meanwhile the minions have received their payouts and happy to oblige.......

Do you really think Lawell will just null and void all 4 leagues ??

7 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

I'd like to know what a DoF at Falkirk's day to day tasks are out with the transfer windows. If his main focus is recruitment what is he going to be doing Feb-April for instance, sitting with his feet up or will the role be combined with another.  Would make sense for him (or her) to get started with putting in place the foundations of a new youth academy, if that's the case then a certainly welcome it.   

From what I heard, it’s being combined with restarting the youth development programme.

22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Surely the fact that they will be no longer part of a majority shareholding is a huge step forward. They won't be able to veto plans or push things through  like they did before . No need for the Rawlins to have a majority control.

It’s definitely a huge step forward, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that these two p***ks have been as culpable as anyone for our demise and they’ll still have a large shareholding. Someone better placed than me could probably confirm what percentage they own, but collectively, their shareholding will still give them a big influence when it comes to decision making. 

It was interesting to note from Deans’ interview that Rawlins has an option to purchase a further 19% in the Club, which would in time take him up to 45%. I hope he takes up this option, along with investment from others, in order to dilute Ritchie and Alexander’s shareholding even further.

Do you really think Lawell will just null and void all 4 leagues ??

Bantabairn has offered up a scenario that might seem unlikely, but come on, this is the SPFL, and anything they do should no longer surprise fans of the game.

I think there will be complex finance issues relating to abandonment of the top flight, and Lawwell (for the sake of his eye wateringly high salary and bonus structure if nothing else), will not put that under threat. Handing back TV money is unthinkable.

As already mentioned, the Championship clubs have been handed half a million each because Morten got themselves in a mess. You can bet that dullard in the Scottish government who splashed the cash before being relieved of his duties will have no repayment clause in the event that the SPFL shut down the bottom three leagues.

Lawwell will happily accept the loss of 10 in a row in exchange for £4 to £5 million in his bank account, and the top league will seek to comply with the TV cash requirements. Bantabairn is right......QotS, Dundee, RR, Alloa, Arbroath, Morten, Dunfermline and the rest of the league who are not Hearts won’t say a word against a null and void decision.

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Type of player I think we need.

Aye, but how do you know what sort of player he is and whether he's any good is what I meant. I'm assuming (hoping) that you don't  watch too many sevco reserve games?

6 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Bantabairn has offered up a scenario that might seem unlikely, but come on, this is the SPFL, and anything they do should no longer surprise fans of the game.

I think there will be complex finance issues relating to abandonment of the top flight, and Lawwell (for the sake of his eye wateringly high salary and bonus structure if nothing else), will not put that under threat. Handing back TV money is unthinkable.

As already mentioned, the Championship clubs have been handed half a million each because Morten got themselves in a mess. You can bet that dullard in the Scottish government who splashed the cash before being relieved of his duties will have no repayment clause in the event that the SPFL shut down the bottom three leagues.

Lawwell will happily accept the loss of 10 in a row in exchange for £4 to £5 million in his bank account, and the top league will seek to comply with the TV cash requirements. Bantabairn is right......QotS, Dundee, RR, Alloa, Arbroath, Morten, Dunfermline and the rest of the league who are not Hearts won’t say a word against a null and void decision.

It’s worrying that one man has so much power in our game.

29 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, but how do you know what sort of player he is and whether he's any good is what I meant. I'm assuming (hoping) that you don't  watch too many sevco reserve games?

We need a Crawford Baptie style of player. Somebody that bossies the middle of the park and the opposition feed off the scraps.

53 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

It’s definitely a huge step forward, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that these two p***ks have been as culpable as anyone for our demise and they’ll still have a large shareholding. Someone better placed than me could probably confirm what percentage they own, but collectively, their shareholding will still give them a big influence when it comes to decision making. 

It was interesting to note from Deans’ interview that Rawlins has an option to purchase a further 19% in the Club, which would in time take him up to 45%. I hope he takes up this option, along with investment from others, in order to dilute Ritchie and Alexander’s shareholding even further.

I don't think it will give them much influence at all as they are now very much in the minority . Thankfully they voted for the Rawlins investment and so are quite happy to see their influence diluted and decisions therefor made by others.

42 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

They spoke about it on Clyde 1 SSB the view is the 3 other leagues would be cancelled but the Premiership will be played till a conclusion to see the TV deal completed for this season, the other alternative would be allowing the other 3 leagues to be extended until all fixtures are completed.

25 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We need a Crawford Baptie style of player. Somebody that bossies the middle of the park and the opposition feed off the scraps.

I remember being at a midweek game at  Brockville in the 80’s vs a very, very good Dundee Utd side. Big Craw scored a hat-trick and was basically unplayable.

30 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I remember being at a midweek game at  Brockville in the 80’s vs a very, very good Dundee Utd side. Big Craw scored a hat-trick and was basically unplayable.

Aye 4 1 we pumped them. Crawf was the first Falkirk player to score a hat trick in the premier League and the only one I think for quite a few years after that.

Can't see any leagues being voided now that the vaccine has started roll out.  It should be starting to have a real impact on numbers in hospital by spring.  Its possible there'l be a break however (probably 4-5 weeks) with the season then running till end of June.  No chance of us being promoted unless closer to 75% of games have been played imo.