The Falkirk FC Thread

I mean for a possible Queens v ICT semi.

Well why did you post it in response to mine about an Aberdeen semi-final from.several years ago?

There are some precious little flowers on here, who really do hate discourse with fans of other teams, it would appear.

Nobody is having a go - there's just discussion about issues that might result from our upcoming Cup-tie.

Seriously, some of you guys have something wrong with you if that's enough to get you all defensive.

A little growing up required in some quarters methinks.

I would usually post this on the Queens thread but they're all here so.....

Didn't Queens draw up plans a few years ago to upgrade Palmerston?

Sure I remember plans for 2 stands?

Anyone care to fill me in on what happened?

Edited by Gaz FFC

Well why did you post it in response to mine about an Aberdeen semi-final from.several years ago? There are some precious little flowers on here, who really do hate discourse with fans of other teams, it would appear. Nobody is having a go - there's just discussion about issues that might result from our upcoming Cup-tie. Seriously, some of you guys have something wrong with you if that's enough to get you all defensive. A little growing up required in some quarters methinks.

Because that post also talked about the upcoming semis.

I would usually post this on the Aueens thread but they're all here so.....

Didn't Queens draw up plans a few years ago to upgrade Palmerston?

Sure I remember plans for 2 stands?

Anyone care to fill me in on what happened?

They did. The plans got big billing in the local paper and there was even reference to a last game of a season being the last one in front of the big covered terracing.

The hoped for funding never got put into place though and the ideas fizzled away. Changes to ground criteria now of course, mean I'm glad it never happened. The same changes have seen the other end occasionally opened of late, after a gap of close to twenty years.

The old main stand is in a bit of a state of decay and will probably be where any future plans are focused.

They did. The plans got big billing in the local paper and there was even reference to a last game of a season being the last one in front of the big covered terracing.The hoped for funding never got put into place though and the ideas fizzled away. Changes to ground criteria now of course, mean I'm glad it never happened. The same changes have seen the other end occasionally opened of late, after a gap of close to twenty years.The old main stand is in a bit of a state of decay and will probably be where any future plans are focused.

I'm not sure I'm supposed to read it like this and I certainly don't want to be seen as trolling but are you saying Queens are happy to plod along in Palmerston as it is?

Its a poor ground even at this level but at Premiership level would be a bit of a joke.

I'm not sure I'm supposed to read it like this and I certainly don't want to be seen as trolling but are you saying Queens are happy to plod along in Palmerston as it is?

Its a poor ground even at this level but at Premiership level would be a bit of a joke.

I wouldn't really agree with that to be honest.

One of our stands is modern and soulless as is the way of these things these days, whilst the covered terracing is something a lot of fans envy.

I'm delighted that the other end has been seeing action again, but I'll concede that it is pretty rundown and tatty looking. I'm very fond of our main stand, but it's not great in terms of size, design or facilities, which is why there's been loose proposals to re-build it.

Two sides are good and we've got four. Could be worse you know.

I wouldn't really agree with that to be honest.One of our stands is modern and soulless as is the way of these things these days, whilst the covered terracing is something a lot of fans envy. I'm delighted that the other end has been seeing action again, but I'll concede that it is pretty rundown and tatty looking. I'm very fond of our main stand, but it's not great in terms of size, design or facilities, which is why there's been loose proposals to re-build it.Two sides are good and we've got four. Could be worse you know.

I'm not saying build a soulless place like most new Scottish stadia but a new main stand and upgrade the 2 terraces And you'd have a cracking ground.

What upgrading does the covered end require?

Probably new concrete also modern turnstile and catering facilities.

The roof doesn't cover the whole area so could expand on that

Entirely my opinion having never been in the home end.

Copy for the away end.

Probably new concrete also modern turnstile and catering facilities.

The roof doesn't cover the whole area so could expand on that

Entirely my opinion having never been in the home end.

Copy for the away end.

The concrete would be purely an aesthetic exercise, there is nothing wrong with it. The catering is fine, I like the fact you can stand in the queue and still watch the game with no problem. The turnstiles probably need upgraded though, and the roof is fine, most seated stands don't cover the front either.

The away terrace could really do with being completely rebuilt with a roof, in my opinion.

The concrete would be purely an aesthetic exercise, there is nothing wrong with it. The catering is fine, I like the fact you can stand in the queue and still watch the game with no problem. The turnstiles probably need upgraded though, and the roof is fine, most seated stands don't cover the front either.

Fair dos. As I said I've never stood there

Thanks for your input.

I'm not saying build a soulless place like most new Scottish stadia but a new main stand and upgrade the 2 terraces And you'd have a cracking ground.

In regard to the TFS, I wished we would've had built something in the way of a Livingston copy. 10,000 all enclosed would've been ideal for us. Our current main stand is cracking looking but gone are days we will need over 10,000,which I imagine may have been the long term plan if we were to complete all four sides.

I don't like the TFS, it's home but it's not Brockville

Do Queens have 6000 seats ?

Follow up to above, is it still the case to have a plan submitted by March/April to the SPL on how a club will meet the criteria.

Edited by MrDust

In regard to the TFS, I wished we would've had built something in the way of a Livingston copy. 10,000 all enclosed would've been ideal for us. Our current main stand is cracking looking but gone are days we will need over 10,000,which I imagine may have been the long term plan if we were to complete all four sides.

We built the main stand in 2003/2004 and obviously the plan was to build an 11-12,000 arena.

We most certainly won't need anymore seats as the 8000 we currently have is plenty. Indeed it's only been full once and that was with Rangers having 3800 tickets and countless more in the home end.

As for TFS and what's next?

Personally if we could attract a couple of businesses to build 2 corner pods either side of the west stand, I feel the place would improve massively atmosphere wise and be more pleasing when your inside the ground

A hotel chain like a travelodge or premier inn would be grand. We could also get offices or something in the other side.

Surely being this close to the Helix has to be a positive as its packed all the time.

No hotel chain would be allowed to build on the Helix land but they'd be perfectly fine to build in 1 of our corners.

You could have a cracking view right over the Helix from the North/West corner of our ground.

The Helix view Hotel sounds sexy IMO.

Do Queens have 6000 seats ?

Follow up to above, is it still the case to have a plan submitted by March/April to the SPL on how a club will meet the criteria.

I'm not a fan of TFS either, although the addition of the third stand has made a big difference. An upgraded Brockville would have been preferable, but given top flight criteria at the time, the route taken was far more sensible and indeed, probably the only viable one.

Palmerston has nothing like 6,000 seats - in fact it's got little more than half that. However, there is no longer any such thing as the SPL and its stadium criteria have disappeared too. The requirements now really just relate to safety. It's this that has enabled a little money to be spent on the away terracing, to bring it into use for the big teams who this season inhabit our division. Previously, there was little point in doing anything with that part of the ground until such time as building a seated area would have been affordable/necessary.

In a way, our inertia on the stadium front (sensible in my view) was rooted enough to outlast the SPL and its damaging criteria.

Promotion is obviously unlikely this season, but should it come any time soon, the upheaval and expense off the field that that's previously entailed, would no longer be necessary.