The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Captain Chugwash said:

The guy suggesting a 20-year-old right back in his first season in professional football be put up front in the Championship trying to tell me I can't comprehend what happens in football 😂😂😂😂😂

Seen it all.

You certainly have seen it all! It's been pointed out to you that the unusual and unexpected happens in football.

Situations force the manager's hand to try something left field. For example, team chasing a goal throws a defender up front, 10 men defending a lead puts a forward back into defence and out of the blue it's discovered the switch worked. The game is more fluid now than ever before position wise and players are expected to be competent in whatever position they find themselves on the pitch. That's the reality of the game and you don't see it. As for me telling you that you can't comprehend football, you're doing a fine job pointing it out to everybody yourself. Do carry on!

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Of course we should question things and not just blindly accept every decision he makes, but he's not going to get everything right, he hasn't in the past and will continue to get things wrong at times, but he generally gets it right and, personally, I feel that we need to have faith in what he does. I think he should only bring in someone who is suited to MacIver's role, otherwise it's pretty pointless unless he's going to be out for and extended period when we'll need cover anyway.

You're insinuating McGlynn's human? 

How many times have we heard managers say "I won't just bring somebody in for the sake of it" and "anybody coming in has to improve the squad"? I don't doubt for one minute that John McGlynn will have been trying to source another striker to cover for MacIver should he be injured for a lengthy period of time but if there isn't one available within his budget then he's absolutely right not to bring anybody in. After all, what's the purpose in having a squad if you don't use it when the time comes?

13 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

You certainly have seen it all! It's been pointed out to you that the unusual and unexpected happens in football.

Situations force the manager's hand to try something left field. For example, team chasing a goal throws a defender up front, 10 men defending a lead puts a forward back into defence and out of the blue it's discovered the switch worked. The game is more fluid now than ever before position wise and players are expected to be competent in whatever position they find themselves on the pitch. That's the reality of the game and you don't see it. As for me telling you that you can't comprehend football, you're doing a fine job pointing it out to everybody yourself. Do carry on!

You're waffling now to be honest. What I can comprehend is that we have two/three options who can play up front currently. When you need goals, slapping a rookie defender up top in this league is probably not the way to go. I guess John McGlynn also can't comprehend football based on your logic. Why don't we stick Jamie Sneddon up front? He'd surely be an unknown quantity to Championship defenders!