The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, lewfal said:

Don't think we can class Austin as being in our strongest XI yet.  he's untested at this level.  I would also have Muirhead in over Kidd at RB going by Kidd's first game (I know you can't judge a player by one game).  To start vs St Johnstone, I'd rather it was:

Mehmet (23)

Muirhead (25) - Gasparotto (21) - Grant (22) - Leahy (23)

Craigan (25) - Kerr (34) - Vaulks (22) - Sibbald (21)

Miller (33) - McHugh (25)

Striker starting berths really the only positions are the real tricky ones, I feel Houstie will go with Rogers an tbh I think I'd have rather got cheaper loan an stuck by one of our own.

All in all, we have plenty options now, our bench willhave many game changers opposed to fingers crossed,Miller's aerial and OHara pace.

Saturday will see the outlook Houstie has for full strength, tho not many have a guaranteed slot other than Leahy

1 hour ago, PG.Colossus said:

Nasty bunch?

Majority of them are brand new, couple of roasters. There are roasters in every support though, as is demonstrated by this here thread.

I dont really see it. Dont recall seeing him being done a great many times last season. Although he may suffer from being more exposed with Sibbs in front of him than Aero did with Alston who worked much harder in that aspect for me.

Maybe straight up tackling wise he isnt a true defender, but he is always the coolest head on the park and in defensive situations rarely resorts to hoofing it and always provides an option even under pressure. I've always been very impressed with him in that regard

I suppose it just comes down to who you apportion blame to when a goal is conceded & more often than not it ended up in me blaming him. I feel that he has the tendency to go wandering. I'm maybe swayed by shouts from the bench that always seemed to be directed at him regarding being out of position. Regardless of my view, a lack of competition for that position is a concern.

No major issues with defence on the whole for me also. A look at the goals conceded column confirms this. Think we agree on that. Also take on board what you say regarding the difficulties of the full back position. However we not going to agree on Leahy. Not saying that he is a bad player but I think we can do better. It concerns me that we seem to have stopped looking in that position.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont really see it. Dont recall seeing him being done a great many times last season. 

He was to blame for the 1st 2 Killie scored in the playoff.

He should've cost us a penalty in the 1st game too.

The man he was marking scored a tap in the Scot cup final because Leahy left him.

There are many more but I can't be arsed the now.

Edited by Gaz FFC

Leahy is a good left back at this level however often gets caught under the ball when long diagonals are played.

Good going forward though and links up very well with Sibbs.

Also think he is quite a good tackler.

No major issues with defence on the whole for me also. A look at the goals conceded column confirms this. Think we agree on that. Also take on board what you say regarding the difficulties of the full back position. However we not going to agree on Leahy. Not saying that he is a bad player but I think we can do better. It concerns me that we seem to have stopped looking in that position.

Okay, who could we realistically get that is better than Leahy?

Leahy is a good left back at this level however often gets caught under the ball when long diagonals are played.

Good going forward though and links up very well with Sibbs.

Also think he is quite a good tackler.

He's also pretty good in the air too, seems to get his head to most balls that are lumped his way. His headed goal in the 3-2 win at Paisley last season was a beauty.

Big fan of leahy. We had one if the best defences in the league last year and lost the fewest games in a league with two clubs who massively out budgeted us. He is quick good in the air scores some great goals and I too like his link up play with sibbs especially that quick fast first time pass he does that unlocks defences. I think our defence of Muirhead Watson grant gasparotto and leahy is the best in the league

It's clear that Leahy is encouraged by the management team to get forward as much as possible, more so than on the right side of the pitch. More goals were conceded and we looked weaker defensively, especially on the left side, during the second half of last season but this was no fault of Leahy imo. Grant/Kerr were simply much better at covering the space left by Leahy than McCracken.

He's encouraged to create width while sibbs is allowed to float in-field. Leaves him isolated against the better teams. He has came on leaps and bounds and I'm happy for him to be our left back for another season.

The further away from the team cracks is the better. Our back two should consist of two of Luca, Watson, Grant and at a push muirhead before he is in the team.

My view on Leahy doesn't seem to be universal then. I better keep my Danny Rodgers isn't that great opinion until another day then!

Nothing wrong with a different opinion. You couldn't come back with a realistic alternative to Leahy though. I reckon Deniz could and may still be a good goalkeeper for us but McMinn isn't ready should the former pick up injury or suspension, hence Rodgers addition to the squad.

Nothing wrong with a different opinion. You couldn't come back with a realistic alternative to Leahy though. I reckon Deniz could and may still be a good goalkeeper for us but McMinn isn't ready should the former pick up injury or suspension, hence Rodgers addition to the squad.

Well spotted as to my lack of alternatives. I will mainly be adopting a strategy of pointing out what I see as issues. I look to others to ignore, disagree or solve.