The Falkirk FC Thread

The wage cap thing is a complete nonsense. The argument I was given by a Director for it was it gives you team harmony if they know no one is getting a more than everyone else.

Utter bollocks. The Left Back is delighted if the club brings in a CF that bags 30 goals and is paid double him because he gets bigger bonuses as a result. The LB knows the start striker is worth more so should get paid more.

This simply drives you to sign average joes and spend your money bringing in quantity rather than quality

Wage caps are lunacy, you should have a budget and it should be up to the manager to decide how much to allocate to each position.

We were getting grief for offering Faiss 2k a week or whatever it is but I'd rather have him than 4 average players. Similarly I'd rather have Dobbie than 4 no c***s.

There are some decent players in the Juniors, not sure why it's a laughable question. East Fife for example have just signed Mark Lamont from there, in the first two league games for East Fife he set up three goals and scored twice. That's a level below us but I don't think people should be scoffing at the suggestion.

There are some decent players in the Juniors, not sure why it's a laughable question. East Fife for example have just signed Mark Lamont from there, in the first two league games for East Fife he set up three goals and scored twice. That's a level below us but I don't think people should be scoffing at the suggestion.

Lamont's nowhere near championship level

He has played at Junior level, but East Fife signed him from Stirling Albion.

All three players I am talking about played on Saturday. None of this back in the day crap.

You are suggesting Falkirk scout the juniors as there was players who have previously player in the juniors who now play in the top flight. I presume you mean Erskine, Doolan and MacKinnon but if not correct me. I'm not disputing that, when they were originally signed, there was players playing in that division who could have played at this level or above.

However, its 3 players out of a massive pool which suggests it's not a regular occurrence. Those players played in the juniors years ago. Since you're defending the juniors, I asked you for players who play currently who could get into Falkirks team and you couldn't name any. Its not a hotbed of talent.

Amongst all the stupid things Falkirk have done over the past 10 yrs instituting a wage cap is right up there with the worst . We have always traditionally had a player a cut above the rest when winning promotion. A Stainrod, a Latapy. You don't get them for the same wage as Lewis Kidd.

If QoS are paying Dobbie 2K a week sounds like a bargain to me . We should be shaving 3 or 4 from the massive first team squad and signing 2 much better players on 1k a week. 

It's damning on Houston that the budget has increased from last season. Another indication of the folly of quantity over quality. 

The counter argument to this, and I'm just playing devils advocate, is you end up with Burton O'Brien. On a monster wage and hard to get rid of, and at a determinant to the squad not being able to recruit any other players. This is an example in the extreme, and with Houston's track record of recruitment, would you trust him to get in the right player on a higher wage? I agree that a salary cap should more be like a budget cap though.

11 hours ago, Rugster said:

Who gives a f**k if they're paying Dobbie 2k a week.

Mostly fans of Hibs and other clubs outwith Falkirk and Queens.

Expected the Queens fans to be the ones jumping on that figure but it seems a lot of posters think Houstie wouldn't know more than them which is laughable

Juniors fucksake, give me strength. One of the best strikers in the juniors signed with East Stirling this season. No where near championship level.

did anyone find out why Austin wasn't in the squad last week ?

I may have picked Houston up wrongly on this but he said Shepps had trained better over the week and got in ahead of Austin, no mention of an injury

21 minutes ago, bairnabeau said:

I may have picked Houston up wrongly on this but he said Shepps had trained better over the week and got in ahead of Austin, no mention of an injury

I find that strange considering both played and scored in that closed doors game. With Austin having done well when he has featured so far from the bench. To then being completely dropped from the squad.