The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, RichieBairn said:

Not read all the posts so excuse my ignorance but what was the story about McKee not being in the squad on Saturday? Did he pick up a knock in training? What was the attendance at the game, anyone know? Looked 5000+ again.

McKee had a foot injury and the crowd was 5029 I think.

1 hour ago, RichieBairn said:

Not read all the posts so excuse my ignorance but what was the story about McKee not being in the squad on Saturday? Did he pick up a knock in training? What was the attendance at the game, anyone know? Looked 5000+ again.

Injured in the first half of last week's hard fought victory cigarathon so missed the DU game.

DU crowd was 5028.

Very early days to have any idea whether Austin is going to be a 15+ goals a season and regular starter or just an impact sub used when defences are tiring

I've been reading all the texts about Austin and I can appreciate some of the comments in a really strange way.
He looks awkward and as if he runs in slow motion and I could not believe how easily he glided through the DU defence repeatedly, I also felt that he went down rather easily for the penalty when he seemed to have the momentum to round the keeper and put the ball into the empty net, good job Aero was spot on with a cool clinical penalty - maybe we have a reliable penalty taker
Great performance will Lee Miller the best man on the park for me just shading it from Tom Taiwo who got MOTM and was just a terrier all over the park. Special mention to James Craigen who I thought had another really good afternoon, get to see him get on the scoresheet - there is defo a player in there.
Let's hope we can get three points next week as we cannot play worse than last time down there.
Houston appears to have pulled a rabbit out of the hat and got us back fighting and more importantly believing again, he deserves huge credit for this.
He has obviously great belief in his team, that many of us, myself included didn't have in him... So big well done[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
What the hell do I know about football?
Sweet feck all I fear[emoji12]

10 hours ago, bejazz1 said:

I've been reading all the texts about Austin and I can appreciate some of the comments in a really strange way.
He looks awkward and as if he runs in slow motion and I could not believe how easily he glided through the DU defence repeatedly, I also felt that he went down rather easily for the penalty when he seemed to have the momentum to round the keeper and put the ball into the empty net, good job Aero was spot on with a cool clinical penalty - maybe we have a reliable penalty taker
Great performance will Lee Miller the best man on the park for me just shading it from Tom Taiwo who got MOTM and was just a terrier all over the park. Special mention to James Craigen who I thought had another really good afternoon, get to see him get on the scoresheet - there is defo a player in there.
Let's hope we can get three points next week as we cannot play worse than last time down there.
Houston appears to have pulled a rabbit out of the hat and got us back fighting and more importantly believing again, he deserves huge credit for this.
He has obviously great belief in his team, that many of us, myself included didn't have in him... So big well doneemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png
What the hell do I know about football?
Sweet feck all I fearemoji12.png

Much as I agree it's great that we are playing well, my problem with attributing it to Houston is that many of his recent decisions were reactions problems that were there for all to see for months if not longer. Playing Gallacher ahead of Leahy seemed dodgy and it's no surprise that we look more solid at the back with him back in. McCracken has been a liability every time he's taken to the park this season and Mark Kerr, although being less of a problem, is still looking like it's a season too far. Sibbald looks way better in the middle but I remember listening to the commentator on our cup game against Dundee last season point out exactly that, months after everyone else had already picked up on it. Watson is more mobile than Gasparotto, but that's not some massive revelation, he needs a more mobile player next to him. Taiwo isn't a right winger and looks substantially better when he's doing the job he's best at, defending the midfield.

What was most frustrating for me was that the team that started the game against DU, and played them off the park, have been largely available since the start of the season but instead we've had to watch Kerr, Rankin and Taiwo midfield line-ups how many times? If Rankin hadn't walked due to lack of game-time we'd still have the potential to suffer that mind numbing stupidity yet again. How many times has he buried Sibbald on the left or started McCracken and Gasparotto and wondered why we've been done for pace? Houston hasn't performed a miracle here, he's just started playing players in their preferred position and fitting the formation around the players rather than the other way round (with the exception of Craigen who is adapting well to the right wing but still looks a bit lost at times and gets dragged in-field).  

Edited by PipoIsABairn

3 hours ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Much as I agree it's great that we are playing well, my problem with attributing it to Houston is that many of his recent decisions were reactions problems that were there for all to see for months if not longer. Playing Gallacher ahead of Leahy seemed dodgy and it's no surprise that we look more solid at the back with him back in. McCracken has been a liability every time he's taken to the park this season and Mark Kerr, although being less of a problem, is still looking like it's a season too far. Sibbald looks way better in the middle but I remember listening to the commentator on our cup game against Dundee last season point out exactly that, months after everyone else had already picked up on it. Watson is more mobile than Gasparotto, but that's not some massive revelation, he needs a more mobile player next to him. Taiwo isn't a right winger and looks substantially better when he's doing the job he's best at, defending the midfield.

What was most frustrating for me was that the team that started the game against DU, and played them off the park, have been largely available since the start of the season but instead we've had to watch Kerr, Rankin and Taiwo midfield line-ups how many times? If Rankin hadn't walked due to lack of game-time we'd still have the potential to suffer that mind numbing stupidity yet again. How many times has he buried Sibbald on the left or started McCracken and Gasparotto and wondered why we've been done for pace? Houston hasn't performed a miracle here, he's just started playing players in their preferred position and fitting the formation around the players rather than the other way round (with the exception of Craigen who is adapting well to the right wing but still looks a bit lost at times and gets dragged in-field).  

This pretty much 100% for me. Boxing Day at Fife was a real low, and I honestly thought we were destined to drop down to mid-table based on that mind-numbing, flat, insipid display of utter ordinary-ness.  We've totally outplayed two teams in a row at home, one off a decent lengthy run, the other second top, co-inciding with these changes and the addition of a couple of new faces. Three, if including the return of Watson, who's looked confident and assured alongside Peter the Rock. But it is only two games, so we'll soon see whether its just a flash in the pan, or if Houston has finally got the dynamic right and we can now make a decent, consistent run for second place... coyb. 

What was most frustrating for me was that the team that started the game against DU, and played them off the park, have been largely available since the start of the season but instead we've had to watch Kerr, Rankin and Taiwo midfield line-ups how many times? If Rankin hadn't walked due to lack of game-time we'd still have the potential so suffer that mind numbing stupidity yet again. How many times has he buried Sibbald on the left or started McCracken and Gasparotto and wondered why we've been done for pace? Houston hasn't performed a miracle here, he's just started playing players in their preferred position and fitting the formation around the players rather than the other way round (with the exception of Craigen who is adapting well to the right wing but still looks a bit lost at times and gets dragged in-field).  

So who else is it down to? Donald Trump?

Craigen's role is to come in off the side and link up not bomb out wide.

It really is rich some of the stuff that comes from our fans. Slaughter the manager when it goes wrong (I was critical too) but when it starts going wrong he has nothing to do with it. People should be big enough to say well done for sorting it out. You can do he haw about pre Christmas now.