The Falkirk FC Thread

Is there a Betfred Cup thread anywhere? As much as I can't wait to start the competition, its an absolute shambles. The SFA only confirmed the same format a week or two ago. On our website it says the fixture list is 'anticipated week commencing 5th of June' - Everyone's at the guessing game. It was the same with last year's Championship Play-offs. Its actually incredible.

When I think back to us in this tournament last year I just remember that anti-climax at Stirling, the ghost town vs Elgin at home (which you cant blame anyone for) and that non-contact game at McDiarmid. A total mess.

But apart from that, lets get cracking. :thumsup2

23 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Is there a Betfred Cup thread anywhere? As much as I can't wait to start the competition, its an absolute shambles. The SFA only confirmed the same format a week or two ago. On our website it says the fixture list is 'anticipated week commencing 5th of June' - Everyone's at the guessing game. It was the same with last year's Championship Play-offs. Its actually incredible.

When I think back to us in this tournament last year I just remember that anti-climax at Stirling, the ghost town vs Elgin at home (which you cant blame anyone for) and that non-contact game at McDiarmid. A total mess.

Here's a thread for our group.

24 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

There's a Domestic Cup Forum which includes the Betfred. Not much more info on there about fixtures tbh.

Last season our fixtures were:

MD1 (Saturday):  4th seed (Away)

MD2 (Tuesday): 5th seed (Home)

MD3 (Saturday): 1st seed (Away)

MD4 (Tuesday): Free

MD5 (Saturday): 3rd seed (Home)

If it's the same format, we'll have the following:

MD1 (Saturday): Brechin (Away)

MD2 (Tuesday): Forfar (Home)

MD3 (Saturday): Inverness (Away)

MD5 (Saturday): Stirling (Home)

6 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Last season our fixtures were:

MD1 (Saturday):  4th seed (Away)

MD2 (Tuesday): 5th seed (Home)

MD3 (Saturday): 1st seed (Away)

MD5 (Saturday): 3rd seed (Home)

If it's the same format, we'll have the following:

MD1 (Saturday): Brechin (Away)

MD2 (Tuesday): Forfar (Home)

MD3 (Saturday): Inverness (Away)

MD5 (Saturday): Stirling (Home)

How can you even tell that given three teams are unseeded? And if you're basing it by 16/17 league position you're aw er the place.

4 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

How can you even tell that given three teams are unseeded? And if you're basing it by 16/17 league position you're aw er the place.

They're not seeded in the true sense of the word. It's the order they were pulled out the hat. Only ourselves and ICT were seeded.

Edited by lanky_ffc

Hopefully they'll realise after this year that the whole things a waste of time. Bit of novelty last year couldn't even bring the crowds in.

Sadly not the current set up is in place for 4 seasons.

Hopefully they'll realise after this year that the whole things a waste of time. Bit of novelty last year couldn't even bring the crowds in.

Agreed these games are not exactly thrilling. However the alternative is meaningless pre season friendlies.

Part of the problem is the delay in telling us the actual fixtures (no idea why that could not have been addressed at the draw).

There are a few good games out there in other sections such as Ayrshire and Dundee derbies so maybe we have just been unlucky with the draw.

It is indeed the luck of the draw. Had we got say Hearts away, we'd be a bit more excited than ICT away, who we will play 4 times this season.

Same issue with Brechin City.

I actually don't mind Forfar as it's been a while but Stirling is just crap & they will treat the game as if it's their cup final whilst we barely give a toss.

The main problem is the geographical groups. Its meant to cut down on travel but we're going to spend the best part of 3 hours on a trek up to Inverness so that works well. I therefore don't see the point in having a geographical split. Why not just have the seedings and thats it. 

The main problem is the geographical groups. Its meant to cut down on travel but we're going to spend the best part of 3 hours on a trek up to Inverness so that works well. I therefore don't see the point in having a geographical split. Why not just have the seedings and thats it. 

Can't imagine Elgin v Annan on a Tuesday night being too much fun?

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Can't imagine Elgin v Annan on a Tuesday night being too much fun?

You say that but it could have happened just as easily in the previous set up. Also, if both of those clubs end up in the League 2 play-offs then there would be a fixture on a midweek night. I agree to scrapping the geographical groups if not the tournament.

11 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

You say that but it could have happened just as easily in the previous set up. Also, if both of those clubs end up in the League 2 play-offs then there would be a fixture on a midweek night. I agree to scrapping the geographical groups if not the tournament.

Just punt ICT and RC into a pre season highland league tournament where they belong . That would solve a lot of the travel issues.

The competition is not exactly a money spinner as it is but asking small teams to travel huge distances does not help.

Yes it happens in the league but adding to the number of times we are asking teams and supporters to travel does not make things better.

I think the issue is our location, we are on the cusp between north and south so there is always a chance if you are designated as being in the north that significant distances are involved.

Even without the geographical split I don't really see the tournament being more exciting on the whole. You actually reduce the chances of a derby encounter as an example.