The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm all for finding reasons to slag off Falkirk, but there was nothing embarrassing about Vaduz. They're basically the Swiss equivalent of Falkirk. It probably isn't even in the top 25 bad Scottish results in Europe.

With the amount of euro trips St Johnstone have had they probably take them for granted, complacency has probably set in.

If Falkirk were to do a European tour every year the amount you'd take would probably half in four/five years.

I totally agree with this. If we were getting Europe every year our crowds for away games would probably dip a bit apart from maybe glamour ties against better sides, which are unlikely in qualifying rounds or trips to nice places.

As an aside, St Johnstone for me are the bench mark of where clubs like Falkirk, St Mirren and Dunfermline should be aiming to be.

They are probably the best run club in Scotland and regularly punch above their weight with the crowds they draw. This isn't a crowd w**k as Perth just isn't a fitba city and no matter what they do they won't increase their core support.

You never hear of financial issues there and to me as an outsider they seem to be very well run. I may be wrong and no doubt someone with more knowledge of their set up could advise me otherwise.

In a Kevin Keegan stylie I would love it, love it if the Bairns could finish top 6 Premiership most seasons.

1 hour ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

It doesn't count because it's about your team :lol:

That's not at all what I said, GIG, is it?; Falkirk's shit result is one amongst a bucketload of shit results. I said Provan's opinion - that it be highlighted as particularly worse than (e.g.) Celtic's abysmal continuous run of around 20 Euro flops - doesn't carry any weight for me. Its not difficult. Or are you being p***kly because I happened to suggest some Hibs scores among some others in an alternative list?  

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

Good interview with Houstie on FFCTV.

My take on his comments:

1) As BPM mentions too, sounds like we are done on recruitment until someone leaves (would assume Sibbs but suppose someone could come in for Gallacher)

2) Thomson to start ahead of Mitchell in goal.

3) Happy that he's got 2 in each position for the full backs (Kidd/Muirhead for RB & Gallacher/Henderson for LB), 5 players for CH, 7 players who can play across the middle & 5 who can play up front.

4) Loy & Austin preferred front pairing

Full backs could be our biggest issue this season. Lot of pressure on Gallacher in his first full season starting with another rookie as his back up and it looks like we'll be going into our 3rd season on the trot with a make shift rb starting. Really thought Houston wouldve had rb sorted out by now to be honest and yet he seems happy with Muirhead even after he was shown up big time against United.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

It doesn't count because it's about your team :lol:

Genuinely, I take your point.

But surely you can see that this one hardly compares with losing at home to Maltese opposition or being knocked out of Europe by a team from Luxembourg with a record of 2-40 in goals in previous European encounters?

Full backs could be our biggest issue this season. Lot of pressure on Gallacher in his first full season starting with another rookie as his back up and it looks like we'll be going into our 3rd season on the trot with a make shift rb starting. Really thought Houston wouldve had rb sorted out by now to be honest and yet he seems happy with Muirhead even after he was shown up big time against United.

Sounding much more like your old self today Shadwell.

Was worried we'd lost you for a while. [emoji16]

7 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

That's not at all what I said, GIG, is it?; Falkirk's shit result is one amongst a bucketload of shit results. I said Provan's opinion - that it be highlighted as particularly worse than (e.g.) Celtic's abysmal continuous run of around 20 Euro flops - doesn't carry any weight for me. Its not difficult. Or are you being p***kly because I happened to suggest some Hibs scores among some others in an alternative list?  

Provan probably slept through it tho

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Finlayson started the first 45, the boy is 19 now, if he is gonna step up, now is his season

Age shouldn't be a barrier if they are good enough then they are good enough

Muirhead v utd getting shown up was due to the failures of our centre halves that night, like most of the season a bus could drive through the centre of our defence.

We need to be more solid in the centre if we have any ambition of topping the pile, tho hopefully the best form of defence is attack

11 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Provan probably slept through it tho

Finlayson started the first 45, the boy is 19 now, if he is gonna step up, now is his season

Muirhead v utd getting shown up was due to the failures of our centre halves that night, like most of the season a bus could drive through the centre of our defence.

We need to be more solid in the centre if we have any ambition of topping the pile, tho hopefully the best form of defence is attack

The opening United goal was caused by Muirhead making a total arse of clearing the ball and letting Murray in on goal. Houston said as much after the game. He's simply not a right back. He offers zero going forward and his distribution is poor. Whilst that level gets you into playoffs winning the league needs a proper rb if you ask me.  I doubt finlayson will get a game unfortunately as houston seems obsessed with muirhead playing there. I have no issue with playing youngsters aslong as they perform. It's asking a lot though to play an 18 year old and expect him to keep to a high standard every week of a 36 game season. I'd like to see a steady back up left back to call upon if Gallacher form dips at some point.

Good interview with Houstie on FFCTV.

My take on his comments:

1) As BPM mentions too, sounds like we are done on recruitment until someone leaves (would assume Sibbs but suppose someone could come in for Gallacher)

2) Thomson to start ahead of Mitchell in goal.

3) Happy that he's got 2 in each position for the full backs (Kidd/Muirhead for RB & Gallacher/Henderson for LB), 5 players for CH, 7 players who can play across the middle & 5 who can play up front.

4) Loy & Austin preferred front pairing

A good summary but disappointing that he sees no need to alter the right back situation as for me this still a weak spot. I guess his hands tied regarding players under contract & budget but a situation of his making. Another season watching Muirhead struggle to play a situation he not equipped to play. Otherwise plenty of options all over the pitch. Still think we've gone for quantity over quality but Loy a huge boost. Also making the right noises regarding an injection of youth but time will tell.

I think it's make or break for Shepherd in all honesty, he's been around the first team long enough and as yet hasn't done anything of note. O'Hara will have a part to play and Gallagher if he continues to progress probably won't be with us for long. Haven't saw much of Henderson tbh.

Wherever the blame lies can be disputed in this game but surely there can't be a case made for Muirhead being a right back, based not on this one game but instead of the body of evidence against it.

13 minutes ago, ANEWHOPE said:

Wherever the blame lies can be disputed in this game but surely there can't be a case made for Muirhead being a right back, based not on this one game but instead of the body of evidence against it.

I wasn't sticking up for Muirhead as a right back just the fact the centre of our defence has been brutal, he did have a decent season at right back the season afore and there was no complaints like there is now. We can hope that we at least get that form back if he is selected. The fact we had 4 or 5 players vying for most supporters poty that season and last season it was one player only, tells it's own story.

Finlayson getting 45 yesterday and Muirhead playing centre half doesn't mean a lot in regard to Muirhead but it's gave Finlayson a chance to show what he can do and if he's not better than Kidd and Muirhead at 19, he is as well bracing himself for part time football in the future.

If you look at the past 3 season with Hearts, Hibs and The Rangers being in the league it was always a big ask to get promoted with those in the league and the best we could have hoped for was to fluke it by going via play offs despite the disadvantage against the championship teams.  its been a leanring curve all the way if it wasnt for the lack of depth in the team or not a big enough squad or with injuries being carried etc.

This season we havent got the likes of a Hearts and Hibs, ok we still have Dundee Utd but they have their own financial worries and going by the looks of it caley are on a rebuilding job following their relegation and i mean no disrespect to calley but they are hardly massive in the size of teams relegated. I do think though with the younger players being in the team we are going to rely on experience to bring them through some of the games and are hoping that a couple of the youngsters shine enough to get them in the shop window and sold on. 

In an ideal world we would have recruited in both full back areas. A left back to help Gallacher, and a right back to displace Muirhead/Kidd.

Whilst Gallacher is a fantastic talent, it may be unfair to rely on him consistently for 36 league games. We seen him have an encouraging start last year when he came in, which ended up with a poor game away at Morton in the cup. Young players generally tend to find issues with consistency in performance so having an alternative, perhaps slightly more experienced option who could be depended upon.

Despite having two first team options there, I believe right back is the weakest point in the team. Although he never started his career there, I think we've got to recognise Muirhead as a right back. It's a position he has played consistently for at least two seasons now for us. Defensively I think he is sounder than Kidd, despite what some of the stats would suggest, but ultimately his weakness is going forward with the ball. This is something you'd hope the coaching staff, in particular McDonagh and Maybury, would look to coach into him, especially since the latter played in that position. If he could improve on that side of his game, he'd be an ideal right back for this level. Kidd came in last season on the assumption he is a wing back, a more natural wide sided defender. But doesn't contribute going forward as much as you'd perhaps expect and he's not as good defensively as Muirhead. I'd have looked for a new right back and Muirhead as cover for both this position and centre half.

Muirhead Luca/Watson Grant & Gallacher isn't the worst back 4 combination we've had since being in this league, time will tell how it compares to other defences in this division.