The Falkirk FC Thread

Stupider than it looks now?

No. But building something because it looks a bit less stupid than nothing is a pretty daft way of spending money.

We should only ever consider an east stand if a reliable long term tenant could be found to generate some income from the space beneath/behind it. Otherwise it is a pointless venture.

Absolutely.

A lot of our fans seem to think we’re living in Field of Dreams.

We barely get 5,000 to our games. 8,000 is plenty.

Absolutely.

A lot of our fans seem to think we’re living in Field of Dreams.

We barely get 5,000 to our games. 8,000 is plenty.

Agree with this. But the main issue at our ground can sometimes be a lack of atmosphere as the stadium is so open on one side.
I wonder if a better atmosphere in a more enclosed venue might just generate a bit more interest and increased attendances even if only a couple of hundred at best?

Agree with this. But the main issue at our ground can sometimes be a lack of atmosphere as the stadium is so open on one side.
I wonder if a better atmosphere in a more enclosed venue might just generate a bit more interest and increased attendances even if only a couple of hundred at best?

Do you think you’ll get a better atmosphere with 5,200 spread over four stands than 5,000 spread over three stands?

Possibly, yes actually.
Not because of the extra 200 especially but because the stadium was more enclosed.

I completely disagree.

Spreading 200 fans along the east side of the pitch would make next to no difference to the atmosphere imo.

Don’t think that was my point specifically. My point was that a more enclosed stadium would probably generate a better atmosphere than one that is open on one side.

Hawd the bus, if we can get the gates we are getting with the shite we are offering on the pitch in this guff league then can you imagine the crowds we could generate if we were in the top division playing some sexy stuff. Need to remember away fans count in those attendances. It's not the stadiums fault Dumbarton, queen's, Brechin, inverness etc couldn't fill the away stand combined. 

Hawd the bus, if we can get the gates we are getting with the shite we are offering on the pitch in this guff league then can you imagine the crowds we could generate if we were in the top division playing some sexy stuff. Need to remember away fans count in those attendances. It's not the stadiums fault Dumbarton, queen's, Brechin, inverness etc couldn't fill the away stand combined. 

Pretty sure we had to pay a ridiculous amount of money when we had to rent that awful Gazebo.
Although we are sadly a bit away from being in a position to be bringing in the bigger away attendances...

13 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

We've been in the top division playing some sexy stuff before, in a time when folk had more disposable income than they do now.

We couldn't fill it then.

Here are our attendances for the big (i.e. OF games) in 2006-2007, the season where we finished 7th with more points than the team in 6th:

Celtic 7,139

Rangers 7,245

Celtic 6,438

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We've been in the top division playing some sexy stuff before, in a time when folk had more disposable income than they do now.

We couldn't fill it then.

Think BTH has a point though. Our crowds are remarkable at the level we are at. We seen the potential during the playoffs. Of course you have to then temper that by saying would people stay away if we were int he top league but scraping about the bottom trying to avoid relegation. I tend to think we are fortunate to have a very strong core of dedicated fans, say the 4k or so that turn up most weeks, and that number isn't likely to go up or down a huge amount. We just have the fans we have. 

That said, Hearts, Hibs, Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen are all likely to have a good go at filling the North. The South takes care of itself, and the main stand would likely take any top league type increase in fan numbers, games against the arse cheeks etc. 

An East stand would therefore be useful to run promotions etc and try for expansion (like the Dumbarton game) 

It is a hard sell though and business wise, likely only a good tenant as folk have said, would make it truly viable.

20 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Just seen Craig Campbell tweeting about how he was visiting Parkhead to look at their safe standing arrangements to see if it could be worked into the Falkirk Stadium.

Bring on the TIFO displays, bring on the pyro. The scenes.

Imagine it would look something like this:

Image result for football pyro blue high quality

I'd rather he was concentrating on getting us into the top flight instead of worrying about what we'd do when we got there to be honest.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd rather he was concentrating on getting us into the top flight instead of worrying about what we'd do when we got there to be honest.

I’m delighted there is someone with influence is listening to fans and taking some action. I reckon this is a relatively new concept for board level figures at our club.

Each to their own though shadders! 

if we had an east stand that's where the 3 of us would sit. I don't think any of us want a white elephant though but if it could incorporate revenue generating facilities then great. I think we need to complete the stadium at some point is hate to think that we play in a soulless 3 sided stadium for the rest of my days. we often get over 5000 at games even when playing badly and against poorly supported sides so if it's well over half full and possibly more with new initiatives such as safe standing extend free for kids to 16 and over 65s etc then yes. also the very big league and cup games and play offs you can generate much more income