The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, ShaggerG said:

What would you be saying if Housty hadn't signed Loy when the chance to do so was there and he'd gone to St Mirren and proceeded to tear up the league?

He didn't though. We signed him and he was shit. That's all that basically matters.  If we had signed him and he had been great I would be saying that but he wasnt so  I'm afraid he goes down as a dreadful signing.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He didn't though. We signed him and he was shit. That's all that basically matters.  If we had signed him and he had been great I would be saying that but he wasnt so  I'm afraid he goes down as a dreadful signing.

Aye, but the point is, nobody could have foreseen the injuries and illness that would befall him. You're slating Houston for signing him because he turned out to be bad when Houston, like just about everyone else, thought that he'd be great.

If he'd signed for St Mirren and did well, you'd be doing your nut because he hadn't been signed when we had the chance to do so. So, although he turned out to be crap, he was in fact a good signing at the time!

11 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, but the point is, nobody could have foreseen the injuries and illness that would befall him. You're slating Houston for signing him because he turned out to be bad when Houston, like just about everyone else, thought that he'd be great.

If he'd signed for St Mirren and did well, you'd be doing your nut because he hadn't been signed when we had the chance to do so. So, although he turned out to be crap, he was in fact a good signing at the time!

Loys just one of a pile of shit signings though that's the problem. The signing of loy and it being a disaster isn't why he got sacked.  Let's face it if  Harris had been a great signing people wouldve seen past the loy debacle but he was just as shit.  You'd excuse the loy signing if there wasnt so many more examples of dross getting signed.  Look at the seasons we won the championship. I can scarcely think.of a dreadful signing JJ made in his two or mccall made in that season. Hughes maybe made one mediocre signing in Marshall but the rest contributed. That's the sort of recruitment you need  to be successful not having 2 or 3 failures for every decent signing.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Loys just one of a pile of shit signings though that's the problem. The signing of loy and it being a disaster isn't why he got sacked.  Let's face it if  Harris had been a great signing people wouldve seen past the loy debacle but he was just as shit.  You'd excuse the loy signing if there wasnt so many more examples of dross getting signed.  Look at the seasons we won the championship. I can scarcely think.of a dreadful signing JJ made in his two or mccall made in that season. Hughes maybe made one mediocre signing in Marshall but the rest contributed. That's the sort of recruitment you need  to be successful not having 2 or 3 failures for every decent signing.

are we forgetting Neilly Scally or McBride in Yogis signing not to mention Scott Higgins (although to be fair he wasnt as bad as Fasan) then you have your David Xausa and a few others in the awfulview season 

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You're not answering the question though, are you?

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

are we forgetting Neilly Scally or McBride in Yogis signing not to mention Scott Higgins (although to be fair he wasnt as bad as Fasan) then you have your David Xausa and a few others in the awfulview season 

Yogi made so many signings that he was bound to get some of them right.

28 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

We didn't sign any of those players  the year we got promoted so I've no idea why you've brought them up.  Hughes signed some dross yes but the year we got promoted his signings were spot on as was JJ and mccall. You'll never win the championship unless your recruitment that season is at those levels.  

Bit harsh on scally too. Made 39 apps in a team that won the championship at a canter.  Hardly a stinking signing.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You're not answering the question though, are you?

The state loy was in there was little chance he was going to rip up the league for anyone that season. History will show that loy signed for us and was dreadful. As I said it doesnt matter what any of us thought.   I base all my ratings of signings on what players did at the club and not how I felt about them when signed or how I wouldve felt if they'd signed for someone else as again that's all that matters. I.have no probs putting my hand up and saying I made mistakes about players too.  I thought signing miller was a dreadful idea after the terrible time he had at killie but he was excellent. If I'm rating the signings at the start of that season I'm not going to put. Harris was shit and I thought he would be shit so he really was shit whilst loy was shit but because I thought he was a decent signing that's ok so I'll no rate him as a shit signing. They were both shit end of as were morgan. Cooper, smith, boulding, Tudur jones, rankin, sinnamon, gasparotto, mccann,  aird and thomson and as I said previously they're only the really shit ones.

19 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The state loy was in there was little chance he was going to rip up the league for anyone that season. History will show that loy signed for us and was dreadful. As I said it doesnt matter what any of us thought.   I base all my ratings of signings on what players did at the club and not how I felt about them when signed or how I wouldve felt if they'd signed for someone else as again that's all that matters. I.have no probs putting my hand up and saying I made mistakes about players too.  I thought signing miller was a dreadful idea after the terrible time he had at killie but he was excellent. If I'm rating the signings at the start of that season I'm not going to put. Harris was shit and I thought he would be shit so he really was shit whilst loy was shit but because I thought he was a decent signing that's ok so I'll no rate him as a shit signing. They were both shit end of as were morgan. Cooper, smith, boulding, Tudur jones, rankin, sinnamon, gasparotto, mccann,  aird and thomson and as I said previously they're only the really shit ones.

Sigh. 

So, would you have been happy or angry if Loy had signed for Saints instead of us? 

Sigh. 
So, would you have been happy or angry if Loy had signed for Saints instead of us? 

I don’t think Shadwell understands that bad decision making is a key attribute of bad management.
However, resigning Loy was not a bad decision. It just didn’t work out in the end.
A good example of bad management is signing a team of complete unknown rookies, without ever having seen them. I can think of a manager who’s a more deserving case....

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Sigh. 

After the initial disappointment of losing out to st mirren I wouldve been pleased as they would have had a shit player and not us and quite possibly they wouldnt have won the league.  We then may have used loys large salary on a couple of other players one being a left back. Either way we would still have been left with the completely shit Harris mind you.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

I don’t think Shadwell understands that bad decision making is a key attribute of bad management.
However, resigning Loy was not a bad decision. It just didn’t work out in the end.
A good example of bad management is signing a team of complete unknown rookies, without ever having seen them. I can think of a manager who’s a more deserving case....

I for one dont know why we are concentrating on the one signing of loy when there is a list the length of your arm of dross that houston signed.  You can perhaps make an excuse for loy but you cant make many excuses for the other pile of crap.

Thing about Loy everyone was happy at him returning even Loy said himself he should never have left, the end of the day he is a footballer and has a limited career as that and left for financial reason its just unfortunate the way things panned out no one would be criticsing him if he had the same impact first time round the down side of things was part of his problems as Dundee ended up at Falkirk i.e. Hartley (correct me if i am wrong here as over the past 3 yrs we have signed so many). also if it was a mental health problem that affected him then thats going to affect even the strongest person.

7 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Thing about Loy everyone was happy at him returning even Loy said himself he should never have left, the end of the day he is a footballer and has a limited career as that and left for financial reason its just unfortunate the way things panned out no one would be criticsing him if he had the same impact first time round the down side of things was part of his problems as Dundee ended up at Falkirk i.e. Hartley (correct me if i am wrong here as over the past 3 yrs we have signed so many). also if it was a mental health problem that affected him then thats going to affect even the strongest person.

As I said he has to go down in the shit signing column but u can make excuses to a certain extent. If he had been a one off then fair enough but the shit signing column was  about double the length plus of the really good column for houston and over the past few seasons that has risen to probably 5 or 6 times bigger  under Hartley and mckinnon and shows no signs of getting any better anytime soon.

Dont think we've signed anyone since  Pressley was the manager that has gone on to bigger and better things ? That sums it up really.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

21 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

After the initial disappointment of losing out to st mirren I wouldve been pleased as they would have had a shit player and not us and quite possibly they wouldnt have won the league.  We then may have used loys large salary on a couple of other players one being a left back. Either way we would still have been left with the completely shit Harris mind you.

Ok, I think that's as good as I'm going to get.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Ok, I think that's as good as I'm going to get.

What does it matter about loy anyway. Theres a huge list of crap that Houston signed even if you ignore loy and put him down to circumstances. No idea why we're highlighting him as if he was a one off mistake.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What does it matter about loy anyway. Theres a huge list of crap that Houston signed even if you ignore loy and put him down to circumstances. No idea why we're highlighting him as if he was a one off mistake.

Because I specifically asked you about Loy. I didn't mention any other signings.

The reason we ended up signing dross like Alex Harris in Houston’s last season was because he was promised extra funds a few months prior to the summer and yet when the summer came his budget was reduced rather than extended. He was just another who was sold down the river by the board without a paddle. As BPM says, if we have Houston the money we gave the two muppets after him we wouldn’t be where we are just now.