The Falkirk FC Thread

6 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:
7 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I'm sorry but signing a guy who scored 6 goals and 12 assists for East Fife on loan if that's the barometer for next season then get in the sea. We need far better than that if Pingu wants to get real and actually get us out this league. 

Expand  

Who are you actually expecting us to sign?

We're coming up for our 5th season in league 1 and are one of the lowest placed full time teams bar QOS in Scotland. So the pool of players interested in signing with us isn't the biggest.

Loans will be where most of our quality comes from as shown this season with Alegria, Kennedy and Kucheriavyi.

If we want out of this shitehole we must break the cycle of signing mediocre and mostly “average” at best players. I don’t believe for one minute we can’t get two or three good signings in, when you look at our budget. We suffered seasons of soulless imposters that simply trot up to play maybe 2 x 90mins each week, that couldn’t give two Fcks.

The last few weeks have been humiliating, and for me and many others devastating to watch these charlatans. We need players that actually look like they give a Fck. Doesn’t help when we have a manager that stands like a pigeon  when we are getting an absolute rodgering and does nothing about it. 

We don’t need a squad of more than twenty players for L1, but I’ve no doubt when whatever happens we will have these numbers. We need to think quality over quantity. I’ve watched teams like Airdrie work with a much smaller squad, (and no doubt a smaller budget) with some youth given the chance. 

There are players out there that would come to the club, but we need to change the mindset, I don’t want to use Griffiths as an example, but let’s not get burned on one bad apple. 

I think the point is that if you've spent 5 seasons in League One, your only real priority is to get promoted out of League One.  Worrying about whether manager X or player Y is equipped to take the Championship by storm is largely irrelevant.  

I'm exaggerating to prove a point here, but if you could get 11 guys in their mid-30s, all on 12-month contracts, and 5 loan players, and that was the formula that got you out of the division, that's what you do.  Worry about filling the squad for the Championship thereafter - there are always players available, and more options the higher up the leagues you go.

There's no point in future planning or a 5-year strategy to get in the premier league when you're in a division where you haemorrhage money.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

We don’t need a squad of more than twenty players for L1, but I’ve no doubt when whatever happens we will have these numbers. We need to think quality over quantity. I’ve watched teams like Airdrie work with a much smaller squad, (and no doubt a smaller budget) with some youth given the chance.

Interested if you could expand on how many players you think we had this season just past that you would define as "first team"?

Edited by Blame Me

11 hours ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

Donaldson is garbage and his attitude stinks. Get rid.

Attitude stinks? He has his faults but I would say that is certainly not true 

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

If we want out of this shitehole we must break the cycle of signing mediocre and mostly “average” at best players. I don’t believe for one minute we can’t get two or three good signings in, when you look at our budget. We suffered seasons of soulless imposters that simply trot up to play maybe 2 x 90mins each week, that couldn’t give two Fcks.

The last few weeks have been humiliating, and for me and many others devastating to watch these charlatans. We need players that actually look like they give a Fck. Doesn’t help when we have a manager that stands like a pigeon  when we are getting an absolute rodgering and does nothing about it. 

There are players out there that would come to the club, but we need to change the mindset, I don’t want to use Griffiths as an example, but let’s not get burned on one bad apple. 

I think you are a couple light at 20, 22 is probably a safer number when injuries and suspensions kick in. 

7 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Thanks but he is best ignored. I didn’t buy a ST for a reason and location wasn’t it. I did buy last season as a member of the Premier Club. Next season I am back to the KM stand. 

How was the Premier Club experience?

Looking forward to being back amongst us peasants?

Edited by Reggie Perrin

23 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I don't think what I said was unrealistic. I think he's fine to get us out the league but cant see us going much further with him, which is ultimately the goal.

Must be 100% focus on getting out of this league.

Four seasons of abject failure.

Your man Lewis on the FD podcast isn't being wholly truthful regarding Mcglynn, budget etc. The point he made about having a squad of 18 and only being able to bring in 4 is complete waffle.

14 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think you are a couple light at 20, 22 is probably a safer number when injuries and suspensions kick in. 

Do you know how would this change with the addition of the reserve team? 

19 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I agree, I was simply stating my opinion on the future should we get promoted

To be honest, I couldn’t give a shit about getting into the Premier League just now. If we eventually get back into the Championship, that’s going to be a pretty difficult nut to crack, especially from where we’ve come from (and changing squads all the time). 

It’s by no means a dig at Lewis - the stick he gets on here is ridiculous,  he’s a volunteer and has given up so much of his time to the club.

He obviously knows a lot of the players and the management on a somewhat personal level, so he’s never going to have a go at them full-scale on a fan podcast.  It means he’s less likely to be 100% objective and he’ll be more inclined to watch what he says and be defensive of particular people, and that was clear to see on that Falkirk Daft. Again, that’s absolutely fine btw, but you do have to take it in that context. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

13 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Your man Lewis on the FD podcast isn't being wholly truthful regarding Mcglynn, budget etc. The point he made about having a squad of 18 and only being able to bring in 4 is complete waffle.

I didn't hear him mention that, we had 14 players leftover from the season before and the talk last summer was those 14 players took up 60% of our budget.

McGlynn made some signings then went to the board for more money as we were still well short so they increased the budget by 150k to allow for another 4/5 signings.

This summer the only players he's saddled with that he didn't sign himself are Brad Mckay, Leon Mccann and Callumn Morrison. 2/3 of those are capable of starting for us next season so there's no excuses at all.

Lewis obviously tries to avoid where possible revealing anything he's heard in his position at the club that isn't already common knowledge. But he did say to his knowledge we already have 12/13 players signed up for next season which hints at the fact there's a few that have had their 1 year extension applied. 

PJ Morrison, Stephen McGinn, Ola Lawal, Gary Oliver and Rumarn Burrell being the ones signed with that optional extra year. Fair to say Burrell's gone especially with Lewis saying he most likely has better offers. 

He also said Liam Henderson was a centre back and that he would find himself back there but then later in the podcast went on to say he reckoned we'd bring in a new centre back to partner Coll Donaldson.

Edited by FFC 1876

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Lewis obviously tries to avoid where possible revealing anything he's heard in his position at the club that isn't already common knowledge. But he did say to his knowledge we already have 12/13 players signed up for next season which hints at the fact there's a few that have had their 1 year extension applied. 

PJ Morrison, Stephen McGinn, Ola Lawal, Gary Oliver and Rumarn Burrell being the ones signed with that optional extra year. Fair to say Burrell's gone especially with Lewis saying he most likely has better offers. 

He also said Liam Henderson was a centre back and that he would find himself back there but then later in the podcast went on to say he reckoned we'd bring in a new centre back to partner Coll Donaldson.

I didn't listen to the entire podcast as I was knackered. Was anything mentioned about what seemed like a "farewell" from Lewis on FTV at the end of the match on Saturday?