The get fit, stay fit thread

You can find articles online to back up any theory. 

Well, yeah, but to say that ingesting supplementary amino acids won’t have an effect on your brain (considering everyone’s brain reacts differently to whatever chemical reaches the BBB) is a bit flippant.

That study is showing negative effects when BCAA are low though.  

I never said that BCAAs would do the opposite, just that they DO have an effect, the direction of which isn’t my point. And like I highlighted previously, everyone’s brain reacts differently.  

At least you read it, though.

Shit study imo. Small sample size and no controlling for important factors associated with depression that could confound with varying BCAA like malabsorption.

Statistical test applied is nonparametric so can't infer causation.

Listen, I know in the grand scheme of things that study is obviously small-scale, poor design and methodology, etc etc. If there’s a study which used a MANOVA which yielded a significant effect with an effect size of 1, then jamming. However there probably isn’t.

All I was saying, is that it’s flippant to say that the ingestion of supplementary amino acids won’t have some kind of effect on the brain. What that effect may be, I don’t know.

Right so here we go.....
After being virtually off my feet since the start of December, 2 knee dislocations and an operation, I think I'm now ready to start trying to build up some strength in my legs (and lose a few lbs again). I posted on this thread probably a year ago and I managed to lose a few stone doing slimming world, but obviously being laid up for a couple of months I've put about 1.5 stone back on!! Treadmill came yesterday so I'm going to try and walk 5-6k a day either split in 2 or in the one go when I've got time.
I'm not going to slimming world again, but I am loosely following the plan and cooking the meals, and probably in a month I'll be going to the gym to do some weights for legs, maybe a spin class a week too. What I want to know is....
Have any of our p&b fitness officionados ever been in the position of recovering from bad knee/leg injuries and done recoup through gym/exercise and how did you go about it? Cheers.

My wife (no pics) is on a diet at the moment and is eating oats for breakfast.  I haven't eaten oats since I was a kid and hated porridge, so gave them a go.  I didn't make porridge as such, just oats and milk (unheated), and it was pretty good, certainly way less stodgy than proper porridge.

Anyway, being a bit of a geek for this sort of thing, I played about with ingredients to try to produce a perfect breakfast in terms of nutrition, taste and cost.  This is what I came up with, ready to be shot down in flames by the P+B fitness and diet gurus: 80g oats, 170 ml milk, 100ml water, 40g bran flakes and 10g protein shake powder.  The key nutrition info is: 561 kcal, 10g fat, 15g sugar (almost all 'natural'), 26g protein, 14g fibre... and just 41p per portion.

It tastes pretty good, is quick to make and is properly filling, not like a bowl of normal cereal that leaves me hungry 2 hours before lunchtime.  Before anyone says it's lacking in fruit and veg, yes it is, but I always make up for that with lunch and dinner.

50 minutes ago, Gnash said:

My wife (no pics) is on a diet at the moment and is eating oats for breakfast.  I haven't eaten oats since I was a kid and hated porridge, so gave them a go.  I didn't make porridge as such, just oats and milk (unheated), and it was pretty good, certainly way less stodgy than proper porridge.

Anyway, being a bit of a geek for this sort of thing, I played about with ingredients to try to produce a perfect breakfast in terms of nutrition, taste and cost.  This is what I came up with, ready to be shot down in flames by the P+B fitness and diet gurus: 80g oats, 170 ml milk, 100ml water, 40g bran flakes and 10g protein shake powder.  The key nutrition info is: 561 kcal, 10g fat, 15g sugar (almost all 'natural'), 26g protein, 14g fibre... and just 41p per portion.

It tastes pretty good, is quick to make and is properly filling, not like a bowl of normal cereal that leaves me hungry 2 hours before lunchtime.  Before anyone says it's lacking in fruit and veg, yes it is, but I always make up for that with lunch and dinner.

That's a dreadful post, Gnash.    I suspect the wife's on the snake-hips diet to get away from the "oats enthusiast" and bag herself a charismatic middle aged man with normal hobbies like tit-wanks, good cheese and lashing of imported premium lager.    

12 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

That's a dreadful post, Gnash.    I suspect the wife's on the snake-hips diet to get away from the "oats enthusiast" and bag herself a charismatic middle aged man with normal hobbies like tit-wanks, good cheese and lashing of imported premium lager.    

I like all of those things too....

5 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I like all of those things too....

You've redeemed yourself Gnash in the eyes of me and that's very very important.   People bounce back, take Anthony  Mcpartlin for example sure he released "Get ready to rumble" and polluted the air with the airbag dust in his drugs fueled car crash, but by god can he host a TV talent show.   I wish him well and I wish you well too.  

I’ve tended to have eggs or Greek yoghurt for breakfast in the last few months but have started having porridge again. Forgot I had a pouch of protein powder on the shelf so have been mixing in half a scoop or so.