The get fit, stay fit thread

On 01/01/2019 at 06:41, MixuFixit said:

Well its that time of year, what are folks fitness goals for 2019?

I'm aiming to squat 140kg by the end of the year, suspect I'll need to get the weight up a wee bit first.

I'd also like to get this tennis elbow to f**k, though it has improved a lot already.

I have a few goals for this year but my main aim is getting fit enough to do the Tour du Mont Blanc next year. Its basically a weeks walking starting and ending in Chamonix and walking the Alps through France, Italy & Switzerland.

35 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

That sounds amazing

Yeah, when I saw it I just thought that it was somethinfg I really wanted to do. I am hoping to walk it early 2020, so this year is mostly about losing enough weight and getting fit enough. After the Black Magic is gone anyway :) 

CrossFit starts back tomorrow, dreading it - will be horrendous lugging around the extra pounds I have put on in the last 2 weeks. Hope they go easy!

47 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I have a few goals for this year but my main aim is getting fit enough to do the Tour du Mont Blanc next year. Its basically a weeks walking starting and ending in Chamonix and walking the Alps through France, Italy & Switzerland.

How do you organise that, is there a travel company etc?

Sounds fantastic.

13 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

How do you organise that, is there a travel company etc?

Sounds fantastic.

I am looking at a company called Exodus Travel. This is the walk here:  https://www.exodus.co.uk/france-holidays/walking-trekking/tour-du-mont-blanc-camping-trek/twb#itinerary

Its not cheap but its in 'experience of a lifetime' territory, so I reckon its worth it.

15 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Going with anyone or is it a solo venture?

Well you join up with a group as part of the hike so I won't be alone but none of my mates or my OH fancy it so i'll be going alone in terms of people I actually know :) 

10 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I am looking at a company called Exodus Travel. This is the walk here:  https://www.exodus.co.uk/france-holidays/walking-trekking/tour-du-mont-blanc-camping-trek/twb#itinerary

Its not cheap but its in 'experience of a lifetime' territory, so I reckon its worth it.

Have you looked at the Camino Di Santiago thats one i fancy doing just trying to work out how to take 6 weeks away from work.

8 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Have you looked at the Camino Di Santiago thats one i fancy doing just trying to work out how to take 6 weeks away from work.

Not till you mentioned it but it does look great :)

34 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Not till you mentioned it but it does look great :)

its on my too do list, if you ever get a chance watch a film called The Way its on that films a bit deep but you get the gist with the walk, it can be done in 5 weeks am sure but would rather take the 6 to do it 

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

its on my too do list, if you ever get a chance watch a film called The Way its on that films a bit deep but you get the gist with the walk, it can be done in 5 weeks am sure but would rather take the 6 to do it 

You could start practically anywhere in Europe and it would be an authentic previously normal route. So you can decide how long you want to take.

Not quite Mont Blanc but The Pentlands are a fantastic place for running and mountain biking. Since quitting booze 5 months back I’ve put on a stone. Sweet cravings and cutting out weights (not had the same aggression to burn off without hangovers) being the cause. My family prefer me with a bit more weight (I no longer look like something out of the film Coco according to my daughter) but there’s a bit of spare tyre that needs to go.  Have been exercising plenty over the hols but not enough to offset my calorie intake. 

Don’t really enjoy weights but did find starting a gym session with some really heavy weights and finishing with skipping would keep my weight where I’d want it. 

My dog loves a long run so my plan for this month is:

5-10k run each morning. Either round park running track or up in the hills (head torch good for the early starts)

3-4 heavy punchbag sessions each week. A couple of rounds of shadow boxing then 10x3 min rounds with 30seconds of jumping between each round as “rest”. Finished with some kettlebell ab/punch exercise and skipping.

2 weights sessions

Main thing for me is cutting out too much food. Big portions, chocolate, crisps - just all goes straight to the love handles. 

Not quite Mont Blanc but The Pentlands are a fantastic place for running and mountain biking. Since quitting booze 5 months back I’ve put on a stone. Sweet cravings and cutting out weights (not had the same aggression to burn off without hangovers) being the cause. My family prefer me with a bit more weight (I no longer look like something out of the film Coco according to my daughter) but there’s a bit of spare tyre that needs to go.  Have been exercising plenty over the hols but not enough to offset my calorie intake. 
Don’t really enjoy weights but did find starting a gym session with some really heavy weights and finishing with skipping would keep my weight where I’d want it. 
My dog loves a long run so my plan for this month is:
5-10k run each morning. Either round park running track or up in the hills (head torch good for the early starts)
3-4 heavy punchbag sessions each week. A couple of rounds of shadow boxing then 10x3 min rounds with 30seconds of jumping between each round as “rest”. Finished with some kettlebell ab/punch exercise and skipping.
2 weights sessions
Main thing for me is cutting out too much food. Big portions, chocolate, crisps - just all goes straight to the love handles. 

Only thing I would question whether that is sustainable or whether you are going to fall off the wagon and get fed up of it? A 5-10k run eqch morning plus other stuff plus work plus spending time with your daughter seems awful busy.

I didn't do much over November/December with being on a 3 week holiday and the festive period taking priority. 

Bought some healthier food and got a bit of a gameplan together for my diet so I'm looking forward to that. Still looking to put on weight so need to eat around 3,000 calories a day which is a bit of a chore but do-able.

Got back to the gym yesterday and I've deloaded substantially on the Stronglifts so will focus on building that back up and take the opportunity to sort my form right out on the lower weights. I'm planning on doing Stronglifts Mon/Wed/Fri and doing some bodyweight and ab work Tue/Thu.

Back into my regular game of fives on Wednesday next week and looking to add a second game on Thursdays to sort my cardio out.

I need to get more consistent with yoga (starting this Saturday morning) and bought my own yoga mat for the first time to give me a bit of a kick up the backside.

Supposed to make your goals measurable so I'll aim for being a stone heavier by the start of December (would put me at approx 6'3 and 13.5 stone), adding around 20-25% to my PBs on the Stronglifts, 60-70 games of fives minimum and 40-50 yoga classes minimum.

Now I've written it down on here I'm accountable for it.

EDIT: Should say as well that the biggest barrier I've always had is caning the drink on the weekends - I don't eat anything when I'm drinking or hungover and essentially undo a week of work in 24 hours. Some laugh the drink but I need to limit myself and cut out the daft impromptu nights out. Too many pals is my problem.

Edited by Marshmallo

I didn't do much over November/December with being on a 3 week holiday and the festive period taking priority. 
Bought some healthier food and got a bit of a gameplan together for my diet so I'm looking forward to that. Still looking to put on weight so need to eat around 3,000 calories a day which is a bit of a chore but do-able.
Got back to the gym yesterday and I've deloaded substantially on the Stronglifts so will focus on building that back up and take the opportunity to sort my form right out on the lower weights. I'm planning on doing Stronglifts Mon/Wed/Fri and doing some bodyweight and ab work Tue/Thu.
Back into my regular game of fives on Wednesday next week and looking to add a second game on Thursdays to sort my cardio out.
I need to get more consistent with yoga (starting this Saturday morning) and bought my own yoga mat for the first time to give me a bit of a kick up the backside.
Supposed to make your goals measurable so I'll aim for being a stone heavier by the start of December (would put me at approx 6'3 and 13.5 stone), adding around 20-25% to my PBs on the Stronglifts, 60-70 games of fives minimum and 40-50 yoga classes minimum.
Now I've written it down on here I'm accountable for it.
EDIT: Should say as well that the biggest barrier I've always had is caning the drink on the weekends - I don't eat anything when I'm drinking or hungover and essentially undo a week of work in 24 hours. Some laugh the drink but I need to limit myself and cut out the daft impromptu nights out. Too many pals is my problem.

My wife has started yoga and seems to really enjoy.

59 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Only thing I would question whether that is sustainable or whether you are going to fall off the wagon and get fed up of it? A 5-10k run eqch morning plus other stuff plus work plus spending time with your daughter seems awful busy.

Oh I'm sure I won't drink again. I probably did about 2 big workouts a day when boozing. Usually to unleash all the stress and anger from problems my booze would cause. Already run about 7-8 4 or 5 times a week with the dog and a couple of boxing workouts at weekend so allied to cutting out junk food it's not much of a stretch. I'm always up early so can do a run at 6ish in the morning and have plenty of time for work. Going on hols next month so like to treat it like training for a fight.

I’ve got 8 nights in Chamonix booked in August this year, with the aim of summiting Mont Blanc. Seriously need to get my fitness sorted between now and then!