The get fit, stay fit thread

34 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I could probably deadlift about 120/130kg as a 1RM, but there's no way I could do that for 4x5.

Yes, I meant as 1RM. Most of the people I train with don't actually test with 1RM, but infer it from doubles.

One of our young lads with no appreciable body fat whatsoever, about 12st/6ft, managed a 100kg clean last week. I've no idea where he keeps the muscles for that - except he's extremely quick (well under 11s for 100m), and I think he may be throwing it up before gravity notices and has a chance to pull back. Not that I'm bitter.

35 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

To trick your body into getting bigger muscles you need to do sets with more reps, like 8-20.

To trick your body into making your muscles stronger, you need to do sets with fewer reps, like 4-6.

When I squat, I'm doing it to get stronger so I do 5x5 reps. When the lassie next to me squats, she's after a Kardashian arse so she does 3x15 reps.

Ties in with the changes I have noticed the last couple of months. Changed my weights routine and now do 20 reps at around 50% of my max, 15 at 75% of my max, 10 at my max, then as many as possible adding a few kg on top. Have noticed that I lost a little bit in terms of strength(I think due to being knackered by the time I get to the max weight) but I am definitely gaining a bit more muscle. Content with the results for now and not lost enough strength that it bothers me. I'm more looking for functional strength anyway and the higher reps should give me a little more stamina, which will hopefully help when I'm lugging boxes up and down 3 flights of stairs in a months time as I move house.

ETA: By max weight I mean the highest weight I can do 10 reps without breaking down completely or having to pause before I finish.

Edited by Ross.

Went out running before lunch with 3 colleagues. I was well behind it and let them go onwhst was a couple of minutes ahead by the end.

Didn't fucking bother to wait until I finished and just fucked off, was and still seething.

c***s, or am I just a moaning c**t (this instance considered only!!)

Went out running before lunch with 3 colleagues. I was well behind it and let them go onwhst was a couple of minutes ahead by the end.

Didn't fucking bother to wait until I finished and just fucked off, was and still seething.

Probably both

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Did you want them to hold your hand back to the office? Hope you didn’t have any roads to cross when out running on your own!  

12 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I use DL. I like it but they are pretty outrageous in their annual increases. I've been with them 3 years and think it's gone up between £15-£20 a month in that time.

The gym itself is much better equipped than say a Pure gym or whatever, especially if you're wanting a wider range of exercise than treadmill, machine weights etc but the price really is a big ask. A lot of members seem to use it more as their middle class social club than a gym which I also find a little irritating.

Good gym but probably not worth the expense, in short.

Thanks, it is probably more for the wee one and to give him access to the swimming and kids clubs. Given it is so close to our new house it might be worth the investment but I am happy at my current gym. I know they are heavily criticised for their fee increases.

Thanks, it is probably more for the wee one and to give him access to the swimming and kids clubs. Given it is so close to our new house it might be worth the investment but I am happy at my current gym. I know they are heavily criticised for their fee increases.

Ah ok, I don’t have kids myself so can’t comment.

From what I see the facilities for kids are pretty good to be honest but obviously haven’t experienced it. Can’t hurt to get a tour to help make up your mind?

I am a member of a budget gym (Xercise4Less) and pay £15 a month.  I used to pay £60 a month for Nuffeidl but packed it in because I hardly went.  The Livingston Xercise4Less has better facilities for barbell lifting than Nuffield did - more proper squat racks with deadlift platforms and additional squat racks without platforms.  

I do miss having a sauna but I'm not paying £60 a month to have a swim and sauna every couple of weeks.

I recently left a small gym at a hotel where I had been a member for a few years (we got married in the hotel so got a great deal). I’m back at one of the big chain gyms and I’m really enjoying it.

In a few months we are moving house and our new home is just a few minutes away from a David Lloyd complex. Has anyone got any good/bad/indifferent experiences of DL? I know that it is incredibly expensive but we are thinking of a family pass for the pools and the kids clubs. Are the facilities that much better than in ‘normal’ gyms, or are you paying for the whole experience and the classes, pools etc?

I was a member before. Facilities like the pool were decent. However was paying £120 a month for the wife and i and she never went. Leavint them was a chore as its a three month notice period apparently. I joined pure gym for £20 a month where the gym equipment is better, the gym is much bigger (when busy you can still move about unlike DL) and its not full of middle class wanks pretending to do a workout. Saves me £1,200 a year

Some of the figures posted on here are absolutely mind boggling to me. My upper body is so weak. I mentioned earlier about my wrist, and now have some physio appointments in January to try and help. 

I don't think it helps that I know little to f**k all on how to improve my strength. I don't really have a plan to follow as such. Mostly stick to the machines, as I am not confident to do anything else in case of injuring myself. 

Pretty similar to above, you need to work out your calories required to maintain yoir weight (formula is online). Then you essentially need to add calories to that. You should also get on the free weights. Start with a low weight (we have all started there sometime) and see whwre you get to. Take a note of the weights and, next time you do that exercise, aim to either lift more weight or do more reps. Its called progressive overload. Also mix up the weight and reps (i.e one week do high weight low reps and then vice versa the next week).

If you are struggling for technique then add the gym instructor or google it.

Edited to add. Did i not send you a workout plan?

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Edited to add. Did i not send you a workout plan?

You did indeed, going to go through it again over the next couple weeks and kick on from the New Year. 

Lost a bit of weight over the year though, bit annoyed that I had a break in the summer months. Shows how easy it is to put all back on. 

Screenshot_20191220_084622.jpg

Edited by LondonHMFC

Anyone got any 2020 goals? I'm toning down exercise over Xmas then going hard again in January. By end of march I want to get to:

Squats - 120kg (currently 100)

Deadlift - 100kg (Currently 80)

Master pull ups 

Bench 80 (currently 65)

Body fat down to 12% (Currently 15-16% and have been stuck there for ages)

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Eww you're one of those mental folk who can squat more than they can deadlift.

I never quite hit my 2019 aim of a 140kg squat. My 1rm is 140 but it's estimated, I've never actually lifted it.

Other than that, I'd like to improve my bodyweight exercises: pull ups, chin ups, dips etc. Being able to do 10 proper pull ups consistently would be magic. I'd also like to put a bit more effort into posture correcting exercises, and get more cardiovascular stuff done.

I've always had chunky legs. Handy when you're fit but try buying jeans when you're a fat c**t.

Tbf I'm relatively new to deadlifts, avoided it for a long time due to not having the technique. Got the technique now so working to try and build it up. Pull ups are my biggest challenge though, can do 2 wide armed at the moment which is progress but not good enough.

Would like to do a Spartan race in the future but until I get the upper body strength it's not going to happen.

18 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Guy at my gym wraps chains round his shoulders and just fires through pull-ups, no fair. I can do about 6 or 7 narrow and like you about 2 wide!

There's a couple at mine like that too. Even without the chains i see some guys just jumping up and bashing them out with little to no effort and want to ask them to leave.