The get fit, stay fit thread

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fucking lad at my work went sub 20 on the triathlon. Brutal.

I reckon the equipment has a lot to do with it as well. The treadmill at the school gym isn't the best and takes time to get up to top speed. The rowing machine is excellent though.

If I had a proper spinning bike and a better treadmill I think I could get low-21s with a few week's practice on the cycling. Even on that dodgy treadmill I've hit below 8 minutes for 2km before (admittedly not after 5km on a bike right enough).

I reckon the equipment has a lot to do with it as well. The treadmill at the school gym isn't the best and takes time to get up to top speed. The rowing machine is excellent though.
If I had a proper spinning bike and a better treadmill I think I could get low-21s with a few week's practice on the cycling. Even on that dodgy treadmill I've hit below 8 minutes for 2km before (admittedly not after 5km on a bike right enough).

Yeah I do it on, not quite a spin bike but a road bike style exercise bike. Its tactical too. I think the nost important tactic though is not going too hard on the row. You can really destroy yourself on that and reslistically you wont even gain a minute. Thebig time saving is on the treadmill IMO so strong runners are going to post the best times eventually

Significant improvement tonight. I think the time off helped a bit, felt better in general. Running still a c**t. Most of it at 11kph but the last 2 and a half minutes or so I rattled it up to 14.5 and near killed myself. Absolutely worth it.

41C30ACF-68EC-420F-830E-F2F76239268F.png

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:
What’s the challenge here again?

1km row, 5km cycle, 2km run. Watch starts at the first stroke on the rower and stops at the 2km on the treadmill.

Interesting, sounds good.

I'm not quite ready for rowing yet but whoever holds the record, I'll be breaking it soon :)

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Interesting, sounds good.

I'm not quite ready for rowing yet but whoever holds the record, I'll be breaking it soon :)

Unsure who the P&B record holder is currently. Gaz wont be far away with that run time though. My best is 23:23. As I said before though, some smartarse at my work has done sub 20 mins. 

Lodged my "cycle to work" application today. Tax dodge here I come! Err, I mean, new bike here I come! I've opted for a mountain bike, as I've decided I'm going to attempt an off-road Triathlon next year. I do very little cardio of any sort as I almost exclusively do just weights. I did the parkrun quite a lot last year but the only proper event I've done in my adult life is a 10k a good few years back (and that was before I got fit and stayed fit). I used to be a swimmer though, so hopefully I'm not too rusty. Any advice for my first Triathlon would greatly appreciated.

Is there any ruleson transitions or resistancesor types of machine?
No really other than your time between machines counts to your total. Resistance is up to you. Obviously the lower the resistance the machine will account for that in measuring your distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost a month since I've tried this. Went a whole second quicker than last time and done it in 23:06.

Rowing 4 min 39

Cycling 8min 34

Running 9 min 53

Absolutely belted it at the running nearer the end and with the cycling too. 

Almost a month since I've tried this. Went a whole second quicker than last time and done it in 23:06.
Rowing 4 min 39
Cycling 8min 34
Running 9 min 53
Absolutely belted it at the running nearer the end and with the cycling too. 

First time for me today. 31 minutes :D

Plenty scope to improve :)

Been struggling to stay interested the 2/3 weeks, finding it a bit of a slog to get to the gym let alone do anything. Longer hours at work, people over visiting and finding out the missus is up the duff has meant I have had more on than usual and definitely affecting the motivation. Still forcing myself in twice a week but only been doing a quick weights work out and ignoring cardio completely. Really need to get a 3rd session back in and start tagging on a bit of running or cycling again, before it becomes too much of a habit.

Time to get the excuses out the way first...

I've been signed off of all strenuous physical activity by my doctor since August due to having ridiculously low iron levels that were so low they wouldn't register on a blood test, which explained a lot of things. Got a double dose infusion and was told it would probably be late October before iron levels were back to normal

Anyway, gradually been building my fitness back up over the last 4 weeks by doing mainly strength training and light cardio.

Decided to give the rower, bike, treadmill challenge a blast today at a steady pace to see where I was at - came in at exactly 31 minutes. A big thank you to @Daydream for unwittingly motivating me. I got the foot down when it was obvious I was going to be similar to his time. 

Aiming to knock at least 1 minute off per week now I know what sort of pace is required. Some very decent times posted here to aim for.