The get fit, stay fit thread

I'm 41 and if I lived off a teaspoon of water a day I'd still put on weight. It's fucking ridiculous. At the end of the day your genes won't be stopped.

Over a period of time, if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. That's how the body is designed.

Been to the gym 58 times this year now, aiming for atleast 200 plus, I never got started properly until few weeks in, been doing 5 days a week, sometimes 6 depending on what I'm feeling like, Thursdays and Sundays off

It's been easy to do when im staying in saving money, when I was drinking before on a Saturday Mondays and even Tuesdays seemed like a chore because you still felt shite from the weekend. Usually ended up missing them

Feeling superb just now

Over a period of time, if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. That's how the body is designed.

That's pretty much impossible though isn't it? If your daily intake of calories was negative you'd struggle to get out of bed in the morning?

I thought the idea was to do cardio which burns fat and eat enough to keep yourself nourished without going over the 2500 calories per day

That's pretty much impossible though isn't it? If your daily intake of calories was negative you'd struggle to get out of bed in the morning?

I thought the idea was to do cardio which burns fat and eat enough to keep yourself nourished without going over the 2500 calories per day

You know cardio burns calories don't you? TheScarf is right, it's fairly simple, you eat less calories than you burn and you'll lose weight, eat more than you burn and you'll gain weight.

No, no it isn't. And I'm talking about losing weight, not burning fat.

Do you think people just keel over and die if they're a few hundred calories short??

You create a calorie deficit and the body uses fat stores to provide energy.

There's a reason humans can survive weeks or months without food.

You can't literally "burn more than you eat" though because even doing a decent amount of cardio will only burn a couple of hundred calories.

You burn calories just existing. Throughout the day when you are just sitting about doing nothing you are burning calories. I thought this was pretty basic common knowledge tbh.

Bought myself some dumbells about 6 weeks ago and have added a few fairly basic exercises using them into my normal 3 x a week cardio routine. Early days, but already noticed a massive difference in my body shape.

You burn calories just existing. Throughout the day when you are just sitting about doing nothing you are burning calories. I thought this was pretty basic common knowledge tbh.

So did I. Think Mr Bairn is just mis-guided. That's what this thread is for after all!

So your BMR is what you would naturally burn if you did no cardio?

And if you wanted to eat more without gaining weight you would need to do cardio to match the extra calories?

BMR is what you are burning while at rest I think. So you burn a certain number of calories just by living, then anytime you move (even just walking about) you are burning more. So eat more than you burn in a day = gain weight, eat less than you burn in a day = lose weight.

BMR is what you are burning while at rest I think. So you burn a certain number of calories just by living, then anytime you move (even just walking about) you are burning more. So eat more than you burn in a day = gain weight, eat less than you burn in a day = lose weight.

Is there a way to calculate your BMR?

Do a look up on google for BMR calculators. Remember that nobody really has much of a clue what their actually value is but it's a good starting point to use with myfitnesspal and you can then adjust accordingly depending what progress (or lack of) youre making.