The get fit, stay fit thread

16 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Congrats! Any tips/methods to increasing your bench quicker? That's some amount of weight. 

Work up to a heavy single then do your working sets after, so your chest is used to the idea of one rep of heavy weight.

warm up your triceps before benching. 

try messing around with your grip, I've got a narrow grip when I bench as my shoulder dexterity isn't great and it feels comfortable but a lot of people prefer a wider grip as the reps can be more controlled and less distance to travel.

That's what I'd suggest but I'm not a pro or anything haha.

I've been walking to work for the best part of a year. According to the pedometer app on my phone it's about 3.65 miles either way and I am burning ~1000 calories a day.

I'm still a fat b*****d though. What gives?

12 minutes ago, nsr said:

I've been walking to work for the best part of a year. According to the pedometer app on my phone it's about 3.65 miles either way and I am burning ~1000 calories a day.

I'm still a fat b*****d though. What gives?

what is your diet like?

First time actually posting on this thread. After a semi-challenge from my boss I’m now determined to beat his 5km times. I’m not unfit, play 5s twice a week, occasional run and walk everywhere. Plus I’ve started doing more high intensity work outs at home, since I’m nowhere near a gym. Not interested in bulking up or gaining muscle at all to be honest, just get fitter.

Problem is I think my body is so used to short sprints from playing football and tennis for over a decade that I’m finding it hard to keep the pace that I need going and tend to run out of steam 2/3 of the way in. I guess it’s all about building up a different kind of stamina, but right now I need to try and take 4 minutes off my 5km time to get sub 20!

Work up to a heavy single then do your working sets after, so your chest is used to the idea of one rep of heavy weight.
warm up your triceps before benching. 
try messing around with your grip, I've got a narrow grip when I bench as my shoulder dexterity isn't great and it feels comfortable but a lot of people prefer a wider grip as the reps can be more controlled and less distance to travel.

That's what I'd suggest but I'm not a pro or anything haha.

I’ve not tried a 1 rep max for bench in a while, stopped doing them once I hit 100kg, maybe give it a go over the next week and see what happens, never tried a 1 rep max for squatting cause I’m scared i either shit myself or seriously injure myself.

Got a 200kg deadlift I’m quite chuffed with though!

24 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

I’ve not tried a 1 rep max for bench in a while, stopped doing them once I hit 100kg, maybe give it a go over the next week and see what happens, never tried a 1 rep max for squatting cause I’m scared i either shit myself or seriously injure myself.

Got a 200kg deadlift I’m quite chuffed with though!

200kg is a class lift

I had a sore back over the weekend so rested for a couple of days and decided not to do squats or deadlifts today.  Did benchpress (just over 100kg, although my form at that weight isn't perfect), then did seated row and 5x10 Arnold press with 20kg dumbbells for a change, felt it in the shoulders.  It's good to change up things I think.

3 hours ago, Widge said:

First time actually posting on this thread. After a semi-challenge from my boss I’m now determined to beat his 5km times. I’m not unfit, play 5s twice a week, occasional run and walk everywhere. Plus I’ve started doing more high intensity work outs at home, since I’m nowhere near a gym. Not interested in bulking up or gaining muscle at all to be honest, just get fitter.

Problem is I think my body is so used to short sprints from playing football and tennis for over a decade that I’m finding it hard to keep the pace that I need going and tend to run out of steam 2/3 of the way in. I guess it’s all about building up a different kind of stamina, but right now I need to try and take 4 minutes off my 5km time to get sub 20!

If you are managing a 5k in 24 minutes or there abouts, you are in a fantastic place to get started. Different things will work for different people but I would probably experiment a little with on/off intervals where you go full pelt for 30/60/whatever seconds and then slow down to an easy pace until the heart/legs are ready to go again. Rinse and repeat. Worked well for me. The other thing that worked for me, and I've seen it mentioned on here a bit also, is to run longer distances than 5k. If you can manage 7/8k no bother you'll go back to 5k and be able to hammer it a bit more. When I was out regularly that was probably the thing that took most of the time off my 5k runs.

Did a gym triathlon lastnight. Wee competition with some lads whilst bored on nights. 1km row, 5km cycle, 2km run. My time was 25.10 with the run being particularly awful. Good wee workout though. I am guilty of not taking myself to exhaustion in the gym but that is just the ticket. Tingly teeth by the end....

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Did a gym triathlon lastnight. Wee competition with some lads whilst bored on nights. 1km row, 5km cycle, 2km run. My time was 25.10 with the run being particularly awful. Good wee workout though. I am guilty of not taking myself to exhaustion in the gym but that is just the ticket. Tingly teeth by the end....

f**k you Bairnardo! I thought that sounds a decent way to get me out of bed on a Saturday when I don't want to spend ages at the gym. 

I feel like I'm about to abandon this mortal land and end up boxed up, still, 26.23 I'm delighted but the run did just about kill me. Also my forearms are particularly sore after the row will that improve with time or are there better excersizes for fore arms?

Being a fat lazy b*****d is so much easier.

3 hours ago, Adam101 said:

f**k you Bairnardo! I thought that sounds a decent way to get me out of bed on a Saturday when I don't want to spend ages at the gym. 

I feel like I'm about to abandon this mortal land and end up boxed up, still, 26.23 I'm delighted but the run did just about kill me. Also my forearms are particularly sore after the row will that improve with time or are there better excersizes for fore arms?

Being a fat lazy b*****d is so much easier.

🤣 outstanding! I am going for it again tonight. Owing to poor arithmetic I did 0.1 miles too long on the bike, and like you I dont row so arms were screaming on there. I tgink I can gosub 24 tonight but will have to smooth it out and push the run harder. 

On 23/08/2019 at 17:33, Bairnardo said:

Gave this a go earlier and was a broken man. Thought you must be super human. Then I realised the exercise bike was in mph.

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Gave this a go earlier and was a broken man. Thought you must be super human. Then I realised the exercise bike was in mph.

Hahaha our bike was but I made thr neccessary adjustments! Did it again overnight and cut down to 23.44