The get fit, stay fit thread

That's more or less the thing I have, it will do the job fine. If you are in a Victorian house with huge architrave round the door frames then it won't clip over the door frame and you will need to get a screw in effort. I have mine in a kitchen bit in the extension.:P I also have an iron bar I used to put over the beams in the garage, which was better from my point of view because I could hang full length but in the door based one I need to keep my knees bent or I cant get a complete rep done properly.

Do you reckon that Powerbar would be ok in a modern house with plasterboard walls?

Wouldn't want to bring a door frame down, the wife would not be pleased :ph34r:

I'm going back to the gym tonight after a couple of months of just dropping in and out - its time to get fit again.

Great info relating to pull up's on this page - thanks.

I'm 13st and 6"3 so a good weight. I'm only really interested in building up my abs and arms (although I do follow a routine where over an 8 day period (4 sessions) I cover off my whole body, anyone got any good tips for bringing out the abs a bit more?

I'm going back to the gym tonight after a couple of months of just dropping in and out - its time to get fit again.

I'm 13st and 6"3 so a good weight. I'm only really interested in building up my abs and arms (although I do follow a routine where over an 8 day period (4 sessions) I cover off my whole body, anyone got any good tips for bringing out the abs a bit more?

darryn_vaser.jpg

Sorted :P;)

Lose body fat

This is something that concerns me; having never really lifted weights I'm worried that my form will be utter shit, so when I start I'm going to start on fairly low weights to perfect form for squats, deadlifts, seated rows etc. and then just try to lift slightly heavier the next week, keeping a wee notepad of how many sets of each exercise I've done + at what weight.

How useful/friendly are gym staff, generally? I know this sounds daft, but would I be able to explain how green I am on all this and get someone to watch my form?

As said above, you should start with no weights on the bar getting form correct. You see loads of people doing that and having notepads, totally normal.

As for gym staff, in my gym they are all Personal Trainers who are trying to sell sessions so will be super, super friendly - they want your cash! The guys should be trained to do sessions for complete beginners as well as people with experience, if most gyms are like mine then most of the PT sessions will be sold to people who have little experience so they'll be absolutely fine.

Chris raises an interesting point with the notepad. I always think it's a good idea to have an idea of what you will do at the gym before you go. Don't wander around aimlessly when you're down there. Maybe just a personal thing though.

I haven't actually fought yet, but it's been more down to a lack of having a convenient time than anything else to be honest. I started training maybe a year and a half ago, got to a level where I felt like I could've done myself justice and then went out to France where I was training at a club that was more kickboxing / K1. They didn't really match anyone much, and I was actually surprised at how different it was anyway. Since getting back I've got back into training MT, but due to work times wasn't really able to spar as much as I'd have liked (we only spar later in the evening where I train, which is fine normally but not when I'm working nights). Been able to spar more again recently, but moving back over to Stirling. I'll be training at the uni club, which is fine but the best I'll get through them's an interclub event. Bit frustrating, to be honest, but I'll be back in Edinburgh between December and February so I'll try to get matched at some stage then. I definitely feel ready. I walk around at about 67-70kg, so would be fighting somewhere below that.

How about you? I remember seeing you saying on here before that you've had a few fights?

Only two so far (1w 1L) however I've had my last two cancelled due to pull-outs which is frustrating as hell, especially the last one a couple of weeks ago as I was more than ready and had worked harder than ever. I've got one lined up for October though that's looking promising as itll be my first pro-am bout (first two were amateur rules). Completely understand with the work thing, I find it difficult and I'm 9-5! If you can manage it though I couldn't recommend it enough, the camaraderie in fight camp is brilliant and the adrenaline buzz you get walking out is immense. I'm 74kg max this time so a fair bit heavier, to be honest though you lighter lads make for better fights, the speed is mind blowing!

It's just really a hobby for myself I've no aspirations to go pro or anything but it's a great sport to be involved in I'll hopefully catch you at a couple shows in the future!

Only two so far (1w 1L) however I've had my last two cancelled due to pull-outs which is frustrating as hell, especially the last one a couple of weeks ago as I was more than ready and had worked harder than ever. I've got one lined up for October though that's looking promising as itll be my first pro-am bout (first two were amateur rules). Completely understand with the work thing, I find it difficult and I'm 9-5! If you can manage it though I couldn't recommend it enough, the camaraderie in fight camp is brilliant and the adrenaline buzz you get walking out is immense. I'm 74kg max this time so a fair bit heavier, to be honest though you lighter lads make for better fights, the speed is mind blowing!

It's just really a hobby for myself I've no aspirations to go pro or anything but it's a great sport to be involved in I'll hopefully catch you at a couple shows in the future!

Ah right, good stuff! Let us know how you get on in October. I'm pretty much the same with it just being a hobby, to be honest, but if I'm going to be as obsessively weird as I obviously am about training and nutrition then I at least want to be testing myself to the highest level that I can. laugh.gif

Consider switching to 93/7 ground turkey. Assuming your sauce is tomato/veggie loaded you really won't notice the difference.

I was in Michigan last month and barely went indoors because the weather was so nice. I see it's 27 C where you are. Well, it's 40 C here. That's what warm is :P

It's been ridiculously humid though, probably thanks to Isaac. It should be cool enough to do some proper exercise by the end of the weekend.

Fannies in the gym...

I changed gym last month from my work one to an independent one, because the opening hours and facilities are better. However the work gym had, well, people who work in finance whereas the new one has people from all walks of life.

A lot of folk I hadn't encountered are the 16-21 year old guys with fake tan, Cristiano Ronaldo haircuts, who work out in a group and do about 40 sets of bicep curls and not a lot else while taking up loads of floor space.

My particular "fanny" award at the moment goes to the guy who worked out wearing a baseball cap at a diagonal angle.

Fannies in the gym...

I changed gym last month from my work one to an independent one, because the opening hours and facilities are better. However the work gym had, well, people who work in finance whereas the new one has people from all walks of life.

A lot of folk I hadn't encountered are the 16-21 year old guys with fake tan, Cristiano Ronaldo haircuts, who work out in a group and do about 40 sets of bicep curls and not a lot else while taking up loads of floor space.

My particular "fanny" award at the moment goes to the guy who worked out wearing a baseball cap at a diagonal angle.

Sadly, gyms are mobbed with this sort of creature after Geordie Shore.

They all want big arms so they can wear their low cut vests in the club.

Fucking bellends.

Did this really start out as a conversation about how people shouldn't judge other people in the gym? 'Cause that's pretty much all anyone's doing at the moment.

I think what those guys are doing looks a bit daft too, but it's their business.

Do you reckon that Powerbar would be ok in a modern house with plasterboard walls?

Wouldn't want to bring a door frame down, the wife would not be pleased :ph34r:

It's designed for that. There won't be any problem that way at all. The thing I have is an iron gym and it has a sort of rubbery bumper thing which obviously bears a bit of the load, the missus might not be impressed with the fact that it can leave a bit of a dirty mark on the doorframe, nothing serious and not a dent or anything, but I found that if I stuck an old pair of my daughters baby socks over the ends it stopped it and kept the wife happy.:P

It's designed for that. There won't be any problem that way at all. The thing I have is an iron gym and it has a sort of rubbery bumper thing which obviously bears a bit of the load, the missus might not be impressed with the fact that it can leave a bit of a dirty mark on the doorframe, nothing serious and not a dent or anything, but I found that if I stuck an old pair of my daughters baby socks over the ends it stopped it and kept the wife happy.:P

Cheers. Do pull ups at the gym but having something in the house would be really handy.

Did this really start out as a conversation about how people shouldn't judge other people in the gym? 'Cause that's pretty much all anyone's doing at the moment.

I think what those guys are doing looks a bit daft too, but it's their business.

To be fair the only thing that annoys me about chucking the weights down is that it damages them and some of the more extreme grunters can put you off your concentration. Folk siting on equipment not using it is annoying if you are tight for time as well. Basically you can be as much of a fandan you want in the gym as far as I'm concerned, however when they are causing other folk problems then they should quite rightly be getting slated.

To be fair the only thing that annoys me about chucking the weights down is that it damages them and some of the more extreme grunters can put you off your concentration. Folk siting on equipment not using it is annoying if you are tight for time as well. Basically you can be as much of a fandan you want in the gym as far as I'm concerned, however when they are causing other folk problems then they should quite rightly be getting slated.

Would agree with that, to be fair. Just seems like a few posters on here are fine with 'other people shouldn't look down on me' but then want to be allowed to look down on those people themselves. Bit weird.

I'm feeling as fit as I have since I stopped playing club football, I can tell in the mirror that I'm trimmer than I was, I lift weights three times a week and cycle anywhere between 3-5 times a week, I am eating better than I ever have with barely any junk food, i have a few beers at the weekend and that is it ... and yet my weight is increasingly fairly drastically every time I step on the scales. :o i even bought a new set of fucking scales and they still tell me the same thing!

im feeling a lot more muscular but no way have i put on what the scales are telling me in muscle. i drink a lot of water every day, is it possible that my body is retaining a ridiculous amount of fluid?!

I know you shouldn't worry too much about the scales but it goes against everything im doing lifestyle wise and it sort of kills my motivation.

any ideas why this is happening? :huh: