Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Haven't seen the film yet, but in Ultimate Avengers didn't Banner develop the super-soldier serum (the stuff that made Steve Rogers into Captain America) to have some sort of calming effect on the Hulk, allowing him to have a measure of control over the Hulk? Of course it didn't work out in the end, as the Hulk went mental as usual, but it was effective for a time.

Banner changed himself into the Hulk using his own super soldier serum, he tried to replicated it using gamma radiation and it failed and turned him into the Hulk.

I'm not sure what you're referring to in the Ultimate universe.

It's got an 8.9 on IMDB at the minute. Is it really as good as that? I remember Toy Story 3 had some sort of nonsense rating like that when it came out.

Honestly? Yeah, I think it is. It's pretty much perfect in what it's designed to do. I'm not sure how they work out the rating(like whether offical IMDb reviewers carry more weight) but if it's reviewed thinking about what it's actually supposed to do (I mean, it's not supposed to be a serious drama or anything like films such as the Godfather, Pulp Fiction etc) then I think it deserves to be rated that highly.

Banner changed himself into the Hulk using his own super soldier serum, he tried to replicated it using gamma radiation and it failed and turned him into the Hulk.

I'm not sure what you're referring to in the Ultimate universe.

Honestly? Yeah, I think it is. It's pretty much perfect in what it's designed to do. I'm not sure how they work out the rating(like whether offical IMDb reviewers carry more weight) but if it's reviewed thinking about what it's actually supposed to do (I mean, it's not supposed to be a serious drama or anything like films such as the Godfather, Pulp Fiction etc) then I think it deserves to be rated that highly.

why does it deserve to be reviewed differently? couldn't we then say that movies like a serbian film deserve an excellent rating, seeing as they do exactly what their set out to do - be disgusting, shocking and controversial?

8.9 is a scandalous rating imo

why does it deserve to be reviewed differently? couldn't we then say that movies like a serbian film deserve an excellent rating, seeing as they do exactly what their set out to do - be disgusting, shocking and controversial?

Every Genre of movie should be reviewed and held up against films of it's own kind. The Avengers is a comic book superhero movie and should be judged on that, will it win Oscars or get nominated? No of course not, that doesn't make it a bad movie. You don't compare Apples with Oranges. The 8.9 score on IMDB is representative of those who enjoyed it and it is an enjoyable movie but not everyone will enjoy it and most of those won't see the movie because they know their own tastes.

Because you wouldn't rate a comedy in the same way you'd rate a thriller. If you do then you're a fucking moron.

Every Genre of movie should be reviewed and held up against films of it's own kind. The Avengers is a comic book superhero movie and should be judged on that, will it win Oscars or get nominated? No of course not, that doesn't make it a bad movie. You don't compare Apples with Oranges. The 8.9 score on IMDB is representative of those who enjoyed it and it is an enjoyable movie but not everyone will enjoy it and most of those won't see the movie because they know their own tastes.

Exactly. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see it get nominations in the SFX/costume categories but I know you were probably referring to the best actor-type categories.

Saw Avengers again today. It's still great. 3D didn't really add anything though. There was only a few times that it was really flying out at you, but when you take the glasses off, the image is fuzzy so it was in 3D but just a subtle extra dimension. I'm happy to pay the extra £1.50 because it was that good.

Having watched, for the first time in the last week

Thor, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain America

and Hulk on Sky planner to be taped.

I'm unsure i'll enjoy an "Avengers" film. Sure they are all good in their own way, but bringing them all together. No story can do that justice surely? It just seems like a film for the fan-boys IMO. Maybe i'm utterly wrong(i don't proclaim to be a movie buff), but would i really enjoy it as a casual film fan.

And they can shove their 3D up their arse too. Another reason not to see it

Having watched, for the first time in the last week

Thor, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain America

and Hulk on Sky planner to be taped.

I'm unsure i'll enjoy an "Avengers" film. Sure they are all good in their own way, but bringing them all together. No story can do that justice surely? It just seems like a film for the fan-boys IMO. Maybe i'm utterly wrong(i don't proclaim to be a movie buff), but would i really enjoy it as a casual film fan.

And they can shove their 3D up their arse too. Another reason not to see it

Is it Hulk or The Incredible Hulk? Because the former isn't related to the Avengers or the others you listed.

I'd say yes. The person I went to see it with on Thursday had only seen Iron Man and enjoyed it immensely. It really does do it justice. If you've seen the previous films then even more so since you've had their major character development.

Is it Hulk or The Incredible Hulk? Because the former isn't related to the Avengers or the others you listed.

I'd say yes. The person I went to see it with on Thursday had only seen Iron Man and enjoyed it immensely. It really does do it justice. If you've seen the previous films then even more so since you've had their major character development.

It's "Hulk" that's set to record.

I might go and see it, but i'll probably "acquire" it because i hate the whole cinema experience, but that's a whole other thing.

It's "Hulk" that's set to record.

I might go and see it, but i'll probably "acquire" it because i hate the whole cinema experience, but that's a whole other thing.

Yeah that's the 2003 Ang Lee one with Eric Bana. The Incredible Hulk is the 2008 one with Edward Norton(who was replaced with Mark Ruffalo for the Avengers).

XBL will implore you to watch Hulk anyway, it's one of his favourite films.

On the topic of Bruce Banner, why was Norton replaced for The Avengers?

And was one of the folk on that council that Fury talks to the father of Betty Ross? The Colonel type dude?

"Will you ever NOT fall for that?!" Made me laugh.

With Thanos as the main villan in the next Avengers film, I assume that Death will also be in it in some form? Especially as the (unintentional) mention of her name is what makes him smile? Also wonder how he'll get to Earth?

Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are set to come out in the next couple of years. Should be decent and hopefully can move the plot for The Avengers 2 along a bit.

On the topic of Bruce Banner, why was Norton replaced for The Avengers?

And was one of the folk on that council that Fury talks to the father of Betty Ross? The Colonel type dude?

"Will you ever NOT fall for that?!" Made me laugh.

With Thanos as the main villan in the next Avengers film, I assume that Death will also be in it in some form? Especially as the (unintentional) mention of her name is what makes him smile? Also wonder how he'll get to Earth?

Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are set to come out in the next couple of years. Should be decent and hopefully can move the plot for The Avengers 2 along a bit.

I don't think it was actually ever said explicitly but I presumed it was because Norton's a bit of a c**t and doesn't work well with others.

I didn't really clock anyone on the council, General Ross would've been the one you're referring. It's been so long since I've seen the Incredible Hulk that I'm not overly familiar with his face.

Possibly. I think he'll be involved in Thor 2 as his weapon of choice in the comics(the Infinity Gauntlet) was seen in the weapon's vault in Thor.

Infinity-Gauntlet-in-Thor-Screencap1.jpg

I'm very surprised they're going with Thanos though. I'd have expect the Fantastic Four to be involved if he is since they're the long-term enemy more than the Avengers (it's also sort of silly that New York gets over run with Aliens in this and there's no sign of the FF, Spider-man, Daredevil, Dr Strange or any of the other heroes that run around that area.

It would make sense that either in Thor 2 or the after the scenes credits, we see him break in and take the gauntlet. It depends how they're running the story. I think I said before in this thread, but the gauntlet runs on gems that major people in the universe (Mr Fantastic, Iron Man and Xavier were three of the notable people who took one to prevent them being easily attainable if you got the gauntlet. It'd be nice to see them make an appearance to tie it in.

Norton was apparently unhappy with the final cut of The Incredible Hulk but he wanted to take part in The Avengers (most reports seem to agree on this). However Marvel apparently dropped him because his face wouldn't fit in with the other actors:

We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks.

I don't think it was actually ever said explicitly but I presumed it was because Norton's a bit of a c**t and doesn't work well with others.

I didn't really clock anyone on the council, General Ross would've been the one you're referring. It's been so long since I've seen the Incredible Hulk that I'm not overly familiar with his face.

Possibly. I think he'll be involved in Thor 2 as his weapon of choice in the comics(the Infinity Gauntlet) was seen in the weapon's vault in Thor.

Infinity-Gauntlet-in-Thor-Screencap1.jpg

I'm very surprised they're going with Thanos though. I'd have expect the Fantastic Four to be involved if he is since they're the long-term enemy more than the Avengers (it's also sort of silly that New York gets over run with Aliens in this and there's no sign of the FF, Spider-man, Daredevil, Dr Strange or any of the other heroes that run around that area.

It would make sense that either in Thor 2 or the after the scenes credits, we see him break in and take the gauntlet. It depends how they're running the story. I think I said before in this thread, but the gauntlet runs on gems that major people in the universe (Mr Fantastic, Iron Man and Xavier were three of the notable people who took one to prevent them being easily attainable if you got the gauntlet. It'd be nice to see them make an appearance to tie it in.

In regards to Thor 2, it could be Thanos as the main bad guy. Seemingly Loki is in it, but is not the main villan. It would make sequential sense in the run up to The Avengers 2 if Thanos was in Thor and got the Gauntlet, and if in Iron Man 3 Stark somehow got one of the gems. They never make things like showing the Gauntlet accidental. See the World Tree references in both Thor and Captain America for just one example.

I think there would be some problem if both the Fantastic Four and Captain America were in the same film. They'd have to wonder how Johnny Storm was ever trapped in ice! I think they're best keeping it as simple as they can in regards to other superheroes, as with them all kicking about it could get really fucked up. Then again, it might be worth staying after the credits of the new Spiderman movie.

In regards to Thor 2, it could be Thanos as the main bad guy. Seemingly Loki is in it, but is not the main villan. It would make sequential sense in the run up to The Avengers 2 if Thanos was in Thor and got the Gauntlet, and if in Iron Man 3 Stark somehow got one of the gems. They never make things like showing the Gauntlet accidental. See the World Tree references in both Thor and Captain America for just one example.

I think there would be some problem if both the Fantastic Four and Captain America were in the same film. They'd have to wonder how Johnny Storm was ever trapped in ice! I think they're best keeping it as simple as they can in regards to other superheroes, as with them all kicking about it could get really fucked up. Then again, it might be worth staying after the credits of the new Spiderman movie.

Yeah could be. There was also something that was strongly rumoured to be the Eye of Agamotto in the weapon's vault, which is one of the things the Sorcerer Supreme gets and it's usually Dr Strange who gets that title. He's also one of the people who holds one of the infinity gems. It all depends on what order they do them, like is it Thor then Iron Man? I also heard there's a Cap sequel and a Nick Fury film coming out. Not sure is they're confirmed or anything though or whether Fury's is an origins story.

I hadn't thought of that laugh.gif Yeah, I guess the FF aren't really possible(although you could recast them but I think Fox still own the rights which is probably the main reason they're not in it. I hope Spider-man is in the next Avengers film, Joss Whedon writing Spider-man's lines would be absolutely fantastic, he managed to make Iron Man so funny, I can only dream of what he'd do with Spider-man.

Is it true they are making a black widow/hawkeye film?

I haven't heard anything except from Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2 and a Nick Fury film. Would make sense though. I'd love to see more Johansson and I guess more Renner won't be bad tongue.gif