Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Problem is everything has to be either top tier best thing ever, or a complete waste of time that ruined everyone's life (see Game of Thrones S1-7 vs Game of Thrones S8). She-Hulk was fine, not the disaster that the neck-beards are desperate for it to be; but I didn't think it properly achieved its goal of being a big feminist hit. Didn't really like how she gave a speech about how she always controls her emotions only for her to then lose control of her emotions. Think they could have tackled that better.

Personally I thought the finale fell very flat for me seeing as nothing actually happened. Popping out of panels might have worked in the comics but thought it was just shite in the series, happy enough with breaking the 4th wall with one-liners but was way too much IMO. Other than that it was decent enough and good fun.

Bit of a separate issue but the Disney+ series have pissed me off really, I initially thought they'd be nice additional/optional viewing, but there's no way you watch Multiverse of Madness without watching WandaVision and not be confused as f**k. I'm sure when (if?) Loki makes an appearance in a movie, it won't make sense without watching the series. Likewise Hulk suddenly having a son will be lost on anyone who hasn't watched She-Hulk (and presumably a Planet Hulk series*).

*I tend to avoid watching trailers, and reading news/rumours that could 'spoil' anything, so I might have missed an announcement for what they're doing with that if anything.

Edited by LiviLion

I'd like to think this will fade, a bit like the 3D fad after the original Avatar came out and was a success. Packing everything on a streamer expecting everyone to follow everything just doesn't work.

A bit like when the Netflix shows existed in the MCU world but only at the margins. Marvel are going to have figure out a divide between the movies and Disney+. Maybe they've figured that out and working through it. Not many second seasons planned. Armor Wars becoming a movie and other characters bumped into movies.

Pretty sure Marvel have said that the TV shows are to be considered in the same way as the films, although so far there's nothing you'd miss in the films if you haven't seen the TV shows, with the exception of Wandavision and Dr Strange in the Multiverse or Madness.

This year we have Guardians 3 and Ant Man 3. The former has no connection to the TV shows and the latter probably not, unless the big bad is the same as the one in season 1 of Loki...

There are too many though. They need to stop introducing so many new characters, especially shit ones. The recent Black Panther introduced a new hero too. It's not just main characters, but also their pals and their antagonists.

Are Marvel shooting for an all female Avengers perhaps? Ironheart, Black Panther (Shurri), Wasp, She-Hulk, Black Widow (Yelena), Ms Marvel, Rescue (Pepper) and Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) could be a team. Wouldn't be against it as long as it was decent, but think it's more likely they'll introduce different 'teams', like Young Avengers (Kate, Ironheart, America, Ms Marvel) and integrating folk in to the Avengers (folk like Shurri, Yelena and Wasp, who would be alongside the new Cap, Bucky, Ant Man, Shang Chi, Wong, Dr Strange, Hulk, Thor etc).

Also, they'll have more 'local' heroes, like Spiderman, Daredevil, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones (assuming they'll somehow integrate the latter two).

We'll also have The Eternals returning at some point, and don't forget that Black Knight is still on Earth and that the voice at the end speaking to him was apparent Blade...

P.S. Who is the besr character in the MCU, and why is it Wong.

Suffering through Stargirl with the kids. Turgid pish. 

Add to this, completely plagiarised. The end of season 1 ends with Brainwave (Professor X) using a transmitter (Cerebro) whilst a man-beast (The Hulk) protects the door. 

On 02/01/2023 at 21:30, DA Baracus said:

This year we have Guardians 3 and Ant Man 3. The former has no connection to the TV shows and the latter probably not, unless the big bad is the same as the one in season 1 of Loki...

Guardians 3 will surely acknowledge a big (albeit predictable) reveal in the Holiday Special. 

As for Ant Man (spoiler references the trailers):

Spoiler

Kang The Conquerer aka He Who Remains from Loki is indeed the big bad.

Looking at the other shows, Falcon and the Winter Soldier will almost certainly be relevant to Captain America 4. Ms Marvel will be in The Marvels this year. You’d think Kate Bishop will eventually appear in a movie. 

The only TV show that looks like it will be fairly standalone is Moon Knight. Even What if…? might soon be relevant with Secret Wars in the pipeline. 

• 1 month later...

Watched Wakanda Forever earlier.

Saw it at the cinema and enjoyed it. Wasn't as good as the first one but was what it needed to be in terms of the story, both individually and as part of the overall MCU. Interesting to see how Namor and his blue lot feature going forward. He said that he's got Wakanda on his side and that at one point it will be them and Wakanda against many others. I can see that, especially when you consider how other countries want to steal vibranium, but unsure how this will feature in the overall MCU arc. Chuck in Ironheart (wasn’t a big fan) and de Fontaine, who has been manipulating shit for a while now, and things are getting interesting.

Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumani is out next week and looks like it will introduce (or reintroduce) the new big bad and will be the start of shit going down.

P.S. Okoye or M'Baku should have been the next Black Panther.

Edited by DA Baracus

Ant man 3 will likely burst open the doors to absolute carnage in phase 5, already mutants have been gently introduced into the mcu, can see it coming in one big film at some point

Probably find that phase 5 will be kinda the same way that AoU was earlier, where theres a big coming together film but is only part of the even bigger storyline

Apart from wandavision and cap and winter soldier id quite like it if the tv shows stayed like the netflix ones did, superheros in their own right but just not big enough for the main show, give smaller characters smaller worlds, the likes of daredevil, lule cage etc, all superheroes in their own right, but in all honestly theyd have been absolutely smashed to bits in endgame for example, 

The idea of the defenders was a good one, and some of the minor characters should have worlds like that and not be forced into the main mcu

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Ant-Man getting pelters. Is the end of the Marvel dynasty finally here?

I'm just back from seeing it, thought it was alright. It quite obviously has the role of setting up the next round of films, and does that perfectly adequately.

It's definitely not as good or as funny as the first two Ant-Man films, and loses points for not having Luis or his crew, but gains a couple for the sheer amount of Michelle Pfeiffer, who has clearly been living her real life in the Quantum Realm, given that she doesn't seem to age at all

On 17/02/2023 at 16:18, Mark Connolly said:

I'm just back from seeing it, thought it was alright. It quite obviously has the role of setting up the next round of films, and does that perfectly adequately.

It's definitely not as good or as funny as the first two Ant-Man films, and loses points for not having Luis or his crew, but gains a couple for the sheer amount of Michelle Pfeiffer, who has clearly been living her real life in the Quantum Realm, given that she doesn't seem to age at all

Just seen it there, thought it was a highly decent setup film, Majors was outstanding as Kang

Obviously lots of issues with tbe science and internal logic in Quantumania, but one bit in particular narked me. When

Spoiler

Cassie goes "big" they're talking like she actually went giant when she's actually just become less small by a factor of 100 but still small enough to fit in a sub quantum universe.