Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

For the first time I feel the affect of having too many characters and giving them each 5 mins screen time. I think I would prefer longer for each group of people even if it means we don't see them for a few weeks. Apart from the Jaime/Briene storyline, I don't feel we have seen much movement in a few weeks.

That's not to say I don't still love the scenes they do have, I love the individual scenes but part of me wants things to move on a bit . Theon has been tortured for about 7 episodes in a row now! I have also completely forgotten the relevance of the two kids hanging about with Bran? Whose side are they on and why they with him again? Poor Bronn is almost a nothing character now as well.

Robb Stark's the "King in the North". He gets his @rse on a plate.

Getting back to the tv prog, didn't like how Melisandre had taken Gendry. It's a major deviation to the book, IIRC, though I can see where it's going within the storyline.

Edited by kiddy

I have also completely forgotten the relevance of the two kids hanging about with Bran? Whose side are they on and why they with him again?

Jojen and Meera Reed. Their father, Howland Reed, is lord of 'The Neck' which is between the North and the Riverlands, but is part of the Kingdom of the North. He also faught alongside Ned Stark during Robert's rebellion and saved his life. Jojen is a greenseer, is has dreams which are kind of like prophecies and he's had dreams about Bran so they've come to help him out.

Still chuckling over the bear punching Briene.

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Theon now.

Was hoping that Tywin would burst Joffrey, but that was never going to happen. Quality to see him terrify that wee c**t though.

Robb Stark's the "King in the North". He gets his @rse on a plate.

Getting back to the tv prog, didn't like how Melisandre had taken Gendry. It's a major deviation to the book, IIRC, though I can see where it's going within the storyline.

It is, but it's easy to see why they've done it. Book spoilers I strongly recommend those who haven't read do not look at:

Obviously there's no point introducing a new character for all the time Edric Storm would be there, so I presume they'll just have Gendry doing what Edric does having his blood leeched for the ritual with the three leeches (perhaps that'll be how they end episode 8, with the Red Wedding following in episode 9?) then Davos will release him at the end of this series or start of the next. Obviously can't see him going back to The Brotherhood but it's not like he's essential to them in the books - at least not so far - he just pops up very briefly in ADWD.

For the first time I feel the affect of having too many characters and giving them each 5 mins screen time. I think I would prefer longer for each group of people even if it means we don't see them for a few weeks. Apart from the Jaime/Briene storyline, I don't feel we have seen much movement in a few weeks.

That's not to say I don't still love the scenes they do have, I love the individual scenes but part of me wants things to move on a bit . Theon has been tortured for about 7 episodes in a row now! I have also completely forgotten the relevance of the two kids hanging about with Bran? Whose side are they on and why they with him again? Poor Bronn is almost a nothing character now as well.

i think you can tell that george rr martin isn't too interested in the form of a tv episode from the structure of that one. i don't if anyone else is reading the grantland reviews but the guy there is clearly getting dismayed despite the two show runners giving him lots of access.

it's obviously a challenge handling such a big cast and so many locations but there must have been better ways of doing it than flitting about the way they are. robb, jon snow and theon's narratives are boring - robb has been grimacing while not fighting a war from a tent or great room for two years now - and although dany has kicked ass this season she has been all business.

jamie and brienne has worked so well because their narrative has moved and the characters have developed along with it. kings landing is entertaining because there are enough featured characters who can interact there to keep it interesting. the other parts would have benefited from getting longer chunks of episodes to give a bit of depth even if it meant not seeing theon or dany for 3 or 4 weeks at a time.

been having a look at some sites during this wigan game.

plenty of people seem to be think that tulisa is a lannister spy and she is betraying robb to tywin with her valarian letters.

that got me thinking that the reason she was introduced is so they can have someone else for ramsay to marry other than the fake arya (which is probably too grizzly for hbo). ramsay marries tulisa on the show and takes custody of robb's baby which gets him winterfell.

the books aren't my cup of tea but i'm up to date due to the wiki and some mates that have read them. i get the impression the books get a bit more out there as the series goes on and i think the tv show will go it's own way on quite a few plot lines.

There is a distinct lack of evilness in all the characters at the moment, aside from Tywin.

Even Joffrey looked like he was being bullied a bit by his grandfather the other night.

There needs to be good and evil to make a show like this work. Too many edges have been blurred at the moment, and we cannot root for all the characters.

I'm getting pissed off with the straying from the book. Osha, Rickon & Shaggydog split from the others, not far from Winterfell, but here they're almost at the wall & still with them!

Can't wait to see how they (the scriptwriters) deal with the encounter that's coming.

Also, wasn't it Yunkai where Strong Belwas (whom we've yet to see) performed his party piece?

Edited by kiddy

I can't be arsed with folk moaning about how they've changed things from the books. The whole point of adapting it is that TV is a totally different medium and let's you do things that pages of a book can't. By its very nature an adaptation isn't going to remain totally faithful -what works in the book isn't necessarily going to work on screen. That's the beauty of doing it.

Who gives a flying f**k if some random character is swapped with Gendry? He's about as unimportant a character at this point in the series as there is and it means people who haven't read the book don't find it any more confusing than it already is with dozens upon dozens of characters fighting for screen time.

Osha hasn't split from the others, again, who actually cares? It's pretty obvious the TV has strayed slightly from the book but to actually stay faithful to books that can be up to 1,000 pages long would make for one of the worst TV series ever. Thank feck the producers know what they're doing.