Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

I was really disappointed with this season actually. Episode 8 was incredible - but they seem to have dismantled the dynamics that made that episode so great already.

That anyone can die is undoubtedly a draw of the show, but over the last couple of seasons we've lost so many great characters, dynamics, and situations that it has been very difficult to create the great storytelling that has epitomised the show. I think they've really struggled with that this season. From the red wedding to the death of Tywin we lost so much of what had made the show so great. You could add in a great character like Oberyn because the dynamic for him to slip into was already there. I think this year there was too much flailing around trying to find things that really work this season - especially since they had to depart from the books more than they had before (this was always going to be a problem).

Why should Dany care about Meereen, for example. And a big problem here is that the city is completely one dimensional - we'd know why she care if the city had some life. The population as a whole has a very shallow character. And that's a big problem. We care about individuals that they drag into storylines, usually to be killed a moment later (the women flayed at WInterfell or the wildling woman at Hardhome, for example), but the population as a whole has no real character - that's been a major failing. The places don't feel alive - you're either a main character, a whore, or part of a mob. It would have been good for Ayra to have gotten out and about in Braavos much earlier (which was about the only time in the season that a place actually felt alive), or had people in and around Winterfell involved more. Stannis should have been seen talking other people in positions of power in his army (generals etc). Fair enough he has meant to cut many people off, but even then you've got to talk strategy at some point - the army were nothing but cannon fodder for his story (which didn't even work very well).

The great thing about Hardhome was that the journey was made very quickly (we don't always need to see people on a ship), we were instantly given a taste for the place and its people, and we got to the point straight away. Too often we were shown too much detail about characters that we are more than capable of imagining for ourselves, while failing to really move the story on in the way that it needed to be moved on.

Edited by SpoonTon

I was disappointed in that. A kill-em-all finale to the season to close so many storylines, making them all pointless. Eps 8 and 9 were awesome though.

What storylines closed because of the deaths? Just Stannis' story surely?

Even if Jon really is dead (which most of us doubt), the White Walker story will continue.

Meryn Trant wasn't exactly critical to any storyline.

Sansa and Theon won't be dead, but we'll probably see the Greyjoy's come into it more against the Bolton's now.

And Myrcella's death will move the Lannister/Martell story forward.

I'm struggling to find a character that I like in the show now. The dwarf aside, the characters that are left are all very bland.

Season 6 will need to bring about something pretty strong.

I'm struggling to find a character that I like in the show now. The dwarf aside, the characters that are left are all very bland.

Season 6 will need to bring about something pretty strong.

Tyrion and Olenna Tyrell are about the only 2 characters left, that I actually like. Bronn to a certain extent, but his storylines have been pretty poor, since Tyrion got arrested.

That may well be true. It doesnt really help with drawing a line for spoilers though. Some might be off and watch it during the day, some might not watch it till 6/7 pm when they come home from work.

Therefore, the logical cutoff is after the 9pm airing.

So why do Sky bother showing it again at 9pm? There will still be a lot of people who watch it at that time, as its the main UK broadcast.

I feel like we're arguing over nothing here though. If you really dont want to risk seeing a spoiler, avoid the thread until you've watched the episode. If you've seen an episode before its main UK air date, have the courtesy to use spoilers. Neither are difficult

Surely the main UK air date is the first time it's aired? Ergo 2 in the morning. That is the logical cutoff.

If you're coming on any thread on here after the show has been aired in the UK you'd rightfully be expecting people to be discussing it, that's logical.

Right:

"Jon" might be dead but I've convinced myself that he's Azor Ahai, he is simply too important to be completely out of it. I just don't believe the producers when they insist he is gone, maybe I'm an idiot.

Also don't understand why they didn't show Stannis dying but I don't see any point in continuing his storyline.

Theon and Sansa will definitely still be alive.

Can anyone actually explain what the f**k actually happened in the House of Faces?

I agree with most that don't think this season has been as fucking amazing as most seasons before it but I reckon next year has the potential to be much better; The Mountain kicking shit up in King's Landing against the Sparrow nutters, the all out war between the Lannisters and Dorne, the return of the Greyjoys (hopefully they don't f**k it up like they have with Dorne so far), Bran hopefully being badass etc. No idea what's going to happen with Dany and the Dothraki though, hopefully it's not another full season of fannying about. Interested to see where the Tyrells go from here, as well as Littlefinger.

Surely the main UK air date is the first time it's aired? Ergo 2 in the morning. That is the logical cutoff.

If you're coming on any thread on here after the show has been aired in the UK you'd rightfully be expecting people to be discussing it, that's logical.

At the risk of repeating myself, no. How can anyone argue that 2am is the "main" air time for anything in the UK!

Nah, just made an arse of it. I also have a pet Ghost I bought at the same time at the HBO Shop in New York.

Remember Ghost? The dire wolf who was meant to protect Jon Snow?

I suppose, with Jon being stabbed, the wolf's protection was pretty dire?

Right:

"Jon" might be dead but I've convinced myself that he's Azor Ahai, he is simply too important to be completely out of it. I just don't believe the producers when they insist he is gone, maybe I'm an idiot.

Can anyone actually explain what the f**k actually happened in the House of Faces?

I agree with most that don't think this season has been as fucking amazing as most seasons before it but I reckon next year has the potential to be much better; The Mountain kicking shit up in King's Landing against the Sparrow nutters, the all out war between the Lannisters and Dorne, the return of the Greyjoys (hopefully they don't f**k it up like they have with Dorne so far), Bran hopefully being badass etc. No idea what's going to happen with Dany and the Dothraki though, hopefully it's not another full season of fannying about. Interested to see where the Tyrells go from here, as well as Littlefinger.

This is the show thats killed of the likes of Tywin, Ned and Robb. Nobodies too important to die, sadly.

I think Ayras been blinded to teach her a lesson

I hope Dany deserts Mereen, and makes her march towards Westeros with the Unsullied, the Dothraki, and three Dragons in tow. I can see the final scene of the next series already. A smoking, torched Kings Landing being looked upon from the Red Keep by the Lannisters/Tyrells/Martells/Littlefinger after the great war. Only to see a swarming mass of an army appear and three great shadows in the sky. Ooft.

Jons dead, tbh. We're always going to have someone up North so the White Walkers storyline gets continued, and next season it'll be Bran. Wouldn't surprise me if the opening sequence for next season was Jon being burned.

Stannis is dead, why the never showed you I don't know, but I'm almost certain he wanted to die the moment he seen his wife, and that he marched onwards in hope of being slaughtered, even if he survives he'll he'd up topping himself, and he'd rather go in battle.

No idea about Theon and Sansa, not even sure what they jumped into though, no doubt Ramsey and Brienne will find them though, even if they fall through a hole into the centre of the Earth, as both seem utterly invincible and capable of absolutely anything, hopefully they never meet or the fight will never end.

When did Ayra become so "ninja" btw? Her training seems to consist of being hit, sweeping the floor and cleaning dead folk, yet shes suddenly some shit hot assassin? :lol:

You're forgetting her training by Syrio Forel.

With theories abounding, everyone's missing the obvious storyline. Having read the books, I don't want to blow a trumpet, but.

There are three dragons, who's going to be riding them, Dany's one, who are the other two?

With theories abounding, everyone's missing the obvious storyline. Having read the books, I don't want to blow a trumpet, but.

There are three dragons, who's going to be riding them, Dany's one, who are the other two?

The popular theory is/was Jon and Tyrion.

We never saw him die either...#BringBackSyrio

Ah, but was he Jaquin Hagar? Remember he was taken from jail to be transported to the Wall. We don't know whether the 'first sword of Bravos' had been arrested/killed?

At the risk of repeating myself, no. How can anyone argue that 2am is the "main" air time for anything in the UK!

Because that is when it's first broadcasted in the UK, the vast, vast majority of people I know record it at 2 then watch it sometime before 9.

Similar to F1, it can be shown halfway through the night but that is the broadcast time, you wouldn't go in the F1 thread after it has been broadcast even if it has a repeat later on?