The Hobbit

Musketeer Gripweed

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to see at Imax on Sunday there. I found it superb. Much better than the first installment and a lot closer to the quality of the LOTR series. Action packed and didn't stray too far from the original text. A lot of places and characters looked exactly as i imagined they would after reading the book. Just gutted I have to wait another year for the next one :(

Went to see at Imax on Sunday there. I found it superb. Much better than the first installment and a lot closer to the quality of the LOTR series. Action packed and didn't stray too far from the original text. A lot of places and characters looked exactly as i imagined they would after reading the book. Just gutted I have to wait another year for the next one :(

Yeah, you can thank the next X-Men movie for that, it was originally planned for July 2014. :(

Having seen it on Friday, I've only just found time to write about it. I have to say I really enjoyed it, it was definitely better than the first one for me, more action and it was significantly darker, I mean it's a 12, but heads being lopped off, left, right and centre. I'll put the next bit in spoilers, since I'm a nice guy and don't want to ruin it.

There were a few wee bits that annoyed me, let's get them out the way first.

1. I hate spiders, literally hate them, so I was hiding for the 5 minutes that they were in it, petty I know, but still.

2. Beorn. For me there should have been a lot more of him in it, that part of the book is a nice wee section and I felt it was slightly rushed.

3. The end sequence, the bits with Smaug chasing the Dwarves. Doesn't happen in the book IIRC and I get it was to show off the impressive CGI stuff in the mines, but it was an uneeded filler for me.

Still that was just a few points. There was a lot of great stuff in it for me. The fights were nicely done, the wood elfs were really well incorporated. In fact I was somewhat worried about how Bloom, et al would fit in, but they weren't overly used and Evangeline Lily looks amazing, so that was always a bonus. There's also the whole Sauron and Gandalf being captured, which could certainly be interesting in the next one.

I really enjoyed it, it absolutely flew by and at no point was I checking the time which is always a good sign.

I didn't like where it ended though, far too open for it to be left like that for a year.

Smaug looked fucking ace and Cumberbatch was a fantastic choice as his voice.

Whit?

I'm not complaining, because I understand that in order for events to play out in screen in an exciting way for the audience then the text and narritive need changing occasionally, but it is very far away from the original text indeed.

I was mainly meaning the places like Beorns, mirkwood, laketown and the lonely mountain were spot on to what i thought they would be. The characters aswell are quite close to what i imagined.

Whit?

I'm not complaining, because I understand that in order for events to play out in screen in an exciting way for the audience then the text and narritive need changing occasionally, but it is very far away from the original text indeed.

Yeah. It had the basis of events... But how everything played out was totally different.

I understand they have taken artistic license to it. But it was actually annoying how far removed it was.

I didn't get the Dwarf/Elf love element. Aalso Legolas had no reason to be in it at all.

I thought Stephen Fry was great as the master of Laketown.

I had no issue with Legolas being in it. The storyline takes them to his home forrest so I think it's only natural that he was to appear.

The issue that I do have with Legolas in this film is that they changed the character and his attributes I thought. In LOTR, one of the things that made him 'cool' was the fact he was graceful, great with an arrow, and somewhat relied on his brain and cunning to defeat enemies. In the Hobbit, he is like a one man bad ass killing machine which I didn't think fit in with character.

I had no issue with Legolas being in it. The storyline takes them to his home forrest so I think it's only natural that he was to appear.

The issue that I do have with Legolas in this film is that they changed the character and his attributes I thought. In LOTR, one of the things that made him 'cool' was the fact he was graceful, great with an arrow, and somewhat relied on his brain and cunning to defeat enemies. In the Hobbit, he is like a one man bad ass killing machine which I didn't think fit in with character.

I agree. He had an attitude through the whole film, which didn't fit in with the earlier Legolas character in the "Fellowship of the Ring".

I didn't like the barrel down the river scene at all. Pretty poor CGI and gravity defying even in a fantasy world.

Watching the second film and I just feel like they are taking everyone for a ride splitting it into 3 films. Very self indulgent I think.

I agree. He had an attitude through the whole film, which didn't fit in with the earlier Legolas character in the "Fellowship of the Ring".

These films are set 60 years before the Lord of the rings and Elves and dwarves have always had very bad blood between them, even excluding the events of the film, also look at his father's views on the matter, a big part of Lotr is Legolas and gimli becoming best friends despite their differences and looking past the bad blood, it's not really explored in the Lotr films much.

Great film. Smaug's layer was so satisfyingly done, exactly as I pictured in my mind's eye.

Legolas still kicking ass, even in films he shouldn't be in. I'm expecting him to turn up in Anchorman 2 and start square going c***s.

He's already booked in to replace hawkeye in the Avengers 2

Watched it last night, actually better than I thought it would be. Went for the IMAX showing which really lift some of the scenes but as mentioned some of the CGI (barrel sequence) was pretty obvious

Its been a long time since Ive read the book but im assuming the sequence when Bilbo meets Smaug was pretty close dialogue wise?

8/10

Archived