The Hobbit

Musketeer Gripweed

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trailer looks good but agree with the barrel thing. They were sealed, Bilbo's wasnt though so you could have made a scene from his perspective, trying to hold on for dear life while trying to guide the remaining barrels down the river.

Read the book a good 5 times and will no doubt find many changes from the original script.

Tom Bombadil is a c**t.

As is his wife.

I was so glad Peter Jackson decided to cut his character out of the film adaptation.

Edit: Seems Savage Hendry beat me to it on page 1.

^ Doesn't understand Bombadil, nor the significance of his constant singing

You've changed your tune.

I've been reading more since then, I was a dullard back then. For what it's worth he was the first character Tolkien thought up, so it's quite possible that's why he called "The First" so much. And I'd also still commit mass genocide if a film based on him came out, his rhyming gets on my tits. Although I now understand the reason behind it more now (based on one theory)

So are you going to post this theory so we can all laugh at it?

There's a theory he's the incarnated spirit of the Music of Ainur. The music that Illuvatar sang at the very beginning, "the first" thing to be created by this God like being. And the thing that will be "last", much like the story of the trumpets sounding at the end of the world Tolkien suggests that at the ending of the world the song will be heard again and fully understood.

Tom is the strongest being to fight with song, there's other. Yet none have the variety nor the power he has, no matter how much they try.

He has no desire nor knowledge of the Ring, nor does it hold any power as Illuvatar adapted the song to be rid of Melkor's evil essence, Tom cannot be affected by the Ring as evil simply does not exist within his mind. The "cast off" of the song, Melkor's bit, was thrown into the void, and created Ungoliant. Tolkien once said how two music spirits were created, and how they were completely at variance, there are no further opposites than Bombadil and Ungoliant, none. Although it could be said that the Discord of Melkor survives in Sauron and all his creations too, whihc would explain why Tom cannot simply destroy the Wraiths or Sauron, as he cannot destroy the song without destroying himself.

We're told that in the water there lives an echo in the water of the Music, more so than any substance on Earth. This is how the Elves are drawn to it. Goldberry is a water spirit, and this is why Tom's so fucking obsessed with her

• 3 months later...

so much potential,so much almost good but then you see them riding in the barrels in the river and it just makes me think it will be the same shitty cartoony deus ex machina chase scenes back to back for 3 hours again.

Aye a repeat of the the same chase style movie is what I fear as well.

Be better off watching Smokey & The Bandit

Who's seen the new trailer for the second film? It's absolutely doss, getting more and more excited for this movie. Smaug sounds so badass.

The first installment was disappointing enough for me to lose interest in the sequel(s). More than this, LOTR cash-cowing a 300 page kids book into three 3-hour films with a load of stuff not even in the books is an appetite killer from the get go.

• 1 month later...

Well there we are, finally sat and watched it, the extended edition.

Can't comment on differences from cinema version, as there's no funky wee insert with chapter numbers and titles to explain what's new/extended.

Anyway: whereas FOTR had me awestruck and awarding an instant 10/10, this is more a 7. Some good/great things (Timbo Baggins, riddles, Rivendell confab, Radagast) it also had some real pish (the company falling about half a mile on a piece of wood like the feckin' A-Team really got on my tits, and Barry Humphries as the GG was a disaster I think).

It gets bonus points for being THE FUCKING HOBBIT MOVIE!!! but I see that Jackson still can't get wargs right. I'll watch it again about, ooh 23 times, and the appendices with interest, but I can't see me loving it, like I do the LOTR fils, #1 especially. Maybe that's me being a bit older and jaded, I dunno.

PS was Peter Jackson in this one, I never noticed him.

Films will always be a tad tainted to me simply because of how much they change from the books, much like LOTR. Really hope they leave Middle Earth after this, always gives me the fear they decide to take on The Silmarillion.

Anyway, heres a song to get us in the mood...

I hope at some point they do a movie or trilogy on the second or first age, there's a massive amount of stuff that would make excellent viewing imo.

They should leave Melkor and the Creation alone, although Beren and Luthien is pretty much made for Hollywood

Story of Huren?

Hurin? And that stories probably far too bleak to make a movie out of, remember he commits suicide at the end, and spent 25 odd years getting tortured

Archived