Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

That's kind of the whole point, though. We should be comparing with the expected CFE standard - it's a CFE Higher.

There are just too many daft wee things in it that a C candidate will not pick up on. There's a derivative question that's dT/dt, too many folk will integrate it with respect to x, not t. There's a compound angle question involving tan2x, which is easy if you realise that tan2x = sin2x/cos2x, but loads of folk won't.

Here are some of the harder questions:

attachicon.gifzebra.png

That's an insane question to give a 16-year old. Thing is - what's the first part even asking? Time taken to do what? Swim across? Eat the zebra? Start talking about upstreams and you've got folk thinking it's a vector question.

attachicon.gifIMG_1326.JPG

From having a look at the paper, this is supposed to be a Level C question, worth 4 marks. There's far too much work involved for a Level C question there.

attachicon.gifIMG_1329.JPG

A discriminant question with a = 2, b = 2-p and c = p-2. Horrible.

attachicon.gifIMG_1328.JPG

Integral of dT/dt. I would wager at least half of the candidates will integrate with respect to x.

attachicon.giffrog.png

This picture is being widely shared on social media. Ironically, it's not one of the harder questions - it's pretty straightforward and even gives you the recurrence relation. However, look at the first question - calculate the height of the toad. It's not "calculate the height the toad has reached". It's "calculate the height of the toad". Unbelievable - we have candidates who'd written "not enough information given about toads, but I think they are about 2-3 inches". You've got to laugh.

It's been a horrific exam. We have kids who have went from 85%+ in their prelims, to acing every single past paper, and the specimen material and specimen paper are nothing like the standard required. Our council are putting a focus group together to respond to it.

There is a reason I gave up on maths.

make maths relate to everyday situations (such as controlling a crocodile optimally...). This

Aye everyday as f**k that like.

Am also interested to find out that drinking a can of Monster is the same as doing a line of coke.

I started panicing while reading them. Then remembered I've gone almost ten years without having to work out the length of different sides of a triangle and done just fine

I'm quite honest with my pupils in saying that for a lot of them the only time they'll use N5- or Higher-level maths is when filling in application forms to say they've had it. It's still probably the most valuable subject to employers. Edited by Gaz

I absolutely beasted Higher Maths in 2008, but I have not got the slightest clue what is going in those questions. I'd probably fail a Foundation Standard Grade Maths paper (whatever the equivalent is these days) if one was put in front of me right now, I've forgotten pretty much everything I learned in Maths.

I'm quite honest with my pupils in saying that for a lot of them the only time they'll use N5- or Higher-level maths is when filling in application forms to say they've had it. It's still probably the most valuable subject to employers.

Most valuable subject to employers?

Surely you're mistaking your subject for English?

The majority of employers / training schemes / further and higher education providers we speak to value maths above English. Narrowly, but the distinction is there.

(Classic puzzle) A farmer returning home from the market must get across the river and return home with his three purchases, a dog, a chicken and a bag of rice. However, He must take them in his boat. He can't have more than one item with him on his boat at all times. He cannot leave the dog alone with the chicken because the dog will eat the chicken, and he cannot leave the chicken alone with the bag of grain because the chicken will eat the bag of grain. How does he get all three of his purchases back home safely?

Answer, how did he get from the shop to the boat? Just do the same.

Did a Yougov survey the other day where, in the midst of the usual "what political party do you support?", and "What emotion do you feel about Nandos?" type questions, I was asked "If 10 men can make 10 widgets in 10 hours, how long would it take 1,000 men to make 1,000 widgets?".

Fair put me off my stroke.

Has something changed in last 10 years? Back when I worked at supermarket under 16's couldn't buy these

It still is, I was in tescos and my sister got id'd for it. She's 18 :lol:

I'd have told the parent it was her own fault for letting her child drink liquid cocaine as she calls it.

AFAIR CfE was shite, glad I left the country when I did.

However I'd have expected my last Higher Maths Class (2009) to have done ok with that.

Yeah, didn't you once bullshit that none of your pupils had ever failed an exam?

That's kind of the whole point, though. We should be comparing with the expected CFE standard - it's a CFE Higher.

There are just too many daft wee things in it that a C candidate will not pick up on. There's a derivative question that's dT/dt, too many folk will integrate it with respect to x, not t. There's a compound angle question involving tan2x, which is easy if you realise that tan2x = sin2x/cos2x, but loads of folk won't.

Here are some of the harder questions:

attachicon.gifzebra.png

That's an insane question to give a 16-year old. Thing is - what's the first part even asking? Time taken to do what? Swim across? Eat the zebra? Start talking about upstreams and you've got folk thinking it's a vector question.

attachicon.gifIMG_1326.JPG

From having a look at the paper, this is supposed to be a Level C question, worth 4 marks. There's far too much work involved for a Level C question there.

attachicon.gifIMG_1329.JPG

A discriminant question with a = 2, b = 2-p and c = p-2. Horrible.

attachicon.gifIMG_1328.JPG

Integral of dT/dt. I would wager at least half of the candidates will integrate with respect to x.

attachicon.giffrog.png

This picture is being widely shared on social media. Ironically, it's not one of the harder questions - it's pretty straightforward and even gives you the recurrence relation. However, look at the first question - calculate the height of the toad. It's not "calculate the height the toad has reached". It's "calculate the height of the toad". Unbelievable - we have candidates who'd written "not enough information given about toads, but I think they are about 2-3 inches". You've got to laugh.

It's been a horrific exam. We have kids who have went from 85%+ in their prelims, to acing every single past paper, and the specimen material and specimen paper are nothing like the standard required. Our council are putting a focus group together to respond to it.

This has reminded me once again why I chucked Higher Maths midway through 5th year and did Int.2. One day I looked at the questions and though; I have no idea what any of this means and I really don't care, I want to be a journalist. Why am I doing this to myself?

Turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. I'd committed so much time to studying Maths that my other highers suffered. I went from a mixture of Cs and low end Bs in my Prelims before dropping it to getting 4 A(1s) and a B in the final exams.

^^^Cool story etc etc

This has reminded me once again why I chucked Higher Maths midway through 5th year and did Int.2.

What was the point in that, if you don't mind me asking? To be accepted to study Higher then presumably you must have had a decent grade at Standard Grade Credit... given that Credit outranked Int 2 I don't really see the point in what you did?

What was the point in that, if you don't mind me asking? To be accepted to study Higher then presumably you must have had a decent grade at Standard Grade Credit... given that Credit outranked Int 2 I don't really see the point in what you did?

Yeh sure. I got a 2/3 in Standard Grade so I was borderline not getting in to Higher. The teacher said it would be tough, but I'd always found maths tough and said I'd take up the challenge. Me and him didn't get on particularly well from that point onwards as I think he always saw me as a weakness in his class.

When I dropped it I had to take another subject and my options were severely limited to Int.2 Maths, Higher French or Higher Physics. I was pretty poor at French and hadn't done it for a year and hadn't done Physics at all since 2nd year! That basically left me with the only option of doing Int.2. I actually quite enjoyed it, my understanding was far greater than it had been the year previously for standard grade and I got on brilliantly with my teacher. Whilst it technically isn't an improvement it made me a lot more confident with maths, improved my 4th year result (an A v 2) and meant I didn't have to solely focus on Maths.

So aye, whilst it wasn't a greater move in terms of final grading, it helped me a monumental amount.