Doctor Who

yoda

Dr Who's strength to the BBC is not in it's drama or concepts but in the bottom line value it adds from merchandising. It makes a fucking mint for them. Given that, and the primary role of the Doctor to be a wee bit cool and give big grandiose speeches, then so long as she can monologue with the best of them and shift enough action figures, she'll do fine.

It's Chibnall I'm more worried about. His episodes for the show have been boilerplate filler at best. He wandered well off the beaten track with Broadchurch in it's 2nd season and Torchwood was generally just shite.

12 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Peri was great!!!

60df76edb681a263a6aa95b3a16cb253.jpg

I'm pretty sure, The Doctor becoming a woman is going to be linked to that weird wee touch of his hand that Missy gave him in the last episode!!!

Peter Davison always says he was acting his heart out in that scene, and nobody noticed!

Rodger - "I can't be misogynistic, my party has a female leader"

You have previous for it, don't try & use Ruth as an excuse.

lol you're lost mate. Scrambling for relevance. Sit doon you absolute VL of a man.

Looking on twitter it's the exact same crap as the Ghostbusters remake.

Any negative opinion on it and that's you labelled a misogynist.

Willing to give her a chance as the show certainly needs a kick up the arse but doesn't change my opinion that they should be looking to create new original strong female characters rather than just gender bending male ones.

But hey ho...at least that shite version of the theme tune will be replaced.

Looking on twitter it's the exact same crap as the Ghostbusters remake.
Any negative opinion on it and that's you labelled a misogynist.

Willing to give her a chance as the show certainly needs a kick up the arse but doesn't change my opinion that they should be looking to create new original strong female characters rather than just gender bending male ones.

But hey ho...at least that shite version of the theme tune will be replaced.

Surely the only folk upset about this are misogynist?

Doctor Who is an alien, not a bloke. There's f**k all gender bending about it.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Forget whether Doctor Who is an alien or not, he is a character that has been on TV for over 50 years and has been portrayed by twelve different men. It doesn’t make someone a misogynist just because they disagree with the decision to cast a woman in the role.

Forget whether Doctor Who is an alien or not, he is a character that has been on TV for over 50 years and has been portrayed by twelve different men. It doesn’t make someone a misogynist just because they disagree with the decision to cast a woman in the role.

I've yet to see a decent reason against it - but my mind remains open.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Time Lord

Time Lady   

There was never any mention of them changing sexes until someone decided to randomly change it in the rebooted series.

Time Lord
Time Lady   
There was never any mention of them changing sexes until someone decided to randomly change it in the rebooted series.

But it's an alien. There's no reason why it couldn't happen.

Series rebooted in what, 2005? They've left it open since then so what's the problem?

What difference does it make if it's a man or a woman portraying an immortal 1000+ year old time travelling alien with two hearts?

They'll still fire around the universe (paying special attention to Earth for some reason) and still easily beat all their foes whist cracking lame jokes.

Just now, Sir Peh McBridie said:

Whilst I somewhat agree fantasy/sci fi doesn't really have set rules it still feels odd to suddenly change the sex of a character who was always seen as a man.

It's not really been that sudden, since it's been obviously coming for a few years now.

Whilst I somewhat agree fantasy/sci fi doesn't really have set rules it still feels odd to suddenly change the sex of a character who was always seen as a man.

That's the key thing. It might feel a bit 'odd'. That's fine, though. Change is like that.

Those is also not guarantee to be successful. And if it doesn't work out the idea of a female doctor shouldn't be ditched.

There is no rational reason for doctor who not to be female.

I think the main problem is there doesn’t seem to be a reason within the program to change to a woman. A female Doctor, at this point, is all about the real world with headline news and people (who usually wouldn’t pay attention to Doctor Who) discussing the issue. Until the first few episodes with Jodie Whittaker are broadcast people won’t know whether there will be a reason within the storyline for the change (I assume there will be at least some reasoning given) or they’ve just changed it “because they can”.

I think most fans of the show would agree it needed refreshing in some way, I just remain sceptical that this was the best way of doing it until I see otherwise.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What difference does it make if it's a man or a woman portraying an immortal 1000+ year old time travelling alien with two hearts?

They'll still fire around the universe (paying special attention to Earth for some reason) and still easily beat all their foes whist cracking lame jokes.

If it is just a case of  "Oh I'm a woman now....meh whatever." then great but part of me doubts that's how they'll play it.