Doctor Who

yoda

31 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The Web of fear

Back on track after a few "meh" stories. This is probably the best one since The Moonbase. The Yetis are back but the story, dialogue and characters are all much better. 

The only down side is the one animated episode. Animated by a high school kid, I think. The quality was atrocious. 

Oh, and a random SNP poster in quite a lot of it. 

doctor-who-web-of-fear-snp-yeti.jpg

I spotted that when it first came out. Still no idea if there was a Ewing on the production team or if it is complete coincidence 

The Wheel In Space

Nobody does cybermen stories better than Troughton. They're genuinely menacing in his stories, before they became cartoon baddies later on who are easily defeated. 

This one had similarities to The Moonbase. More than a few. But I don't mind that as this was still a cracking story. 

Last two.

The Invasion

Just amazing. Possibly a contender for best story of the 60s. Once again the Troughton/Cybermen combo paying dividends in a way that no other dalek story ever did. Good characters, locations, well directed, proper baddies. 

The Space Pirates

The dialogue was good, as you'd expect from a Robert Holmes story. But I felt it was a bit thin, like a 4 parter that had been extended to a 6 parter. 

Overall, the saddest thing for me is that the missing stories by and large are among the best. If you ranked the 10 best stories of the 60s then Troughton takes most of them, and a fair whack would be those junked by the BBC. 

And now I am caught up all the way to the beginning of the McCoy era. Sigh. As a general thought, the 80s really were dire. The way I've watched these has really put it into sharp focus that what made the show great all just fell off a cliff in 1980. Maybe I'd have been better off going backwards through the oldies, starting at McCoy and ending with Hartnell. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Decided to finally get through the classic Who after getting bored in series 22. Actually really enjoyed the Revelation of the Daleks. 

Onto Trial of a Timelord, I've seen it before but not for ages. Not long to go

17 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Decided to finally get through the classic Who after getting bored in series 22. Actually really enjoyed the Revelation of the Daleks. 

Onto Trial of a Timelord, I've seen it before but not for ages. Not long to go

Don't do it. No good will come of it. 

36 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If he's got through The Twin Dilemma and The Mark of The Rani, Trial of a Time Lord should be a piece of piss.

The bowlcut brothers were terrible. The Mark of the Rani was just about barely watchable, but ruined by the Master showing up and being useless. 

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If he's got through The Twin Dilemma and The Mark of The Rani, Trial of a Time Lord should be a piece of piss.

Mark of the Rani was what killed it first time to be honest. It being filmed in Beemish just made it far too realistic for Doctor Who to be honest

55 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Five Drive Live , whatever , reporting a large number of episodes now on i - player.

Bye !

643 classic eps, all the modern ones(which were already there), all confidentials and six episodes of previous doctors/companions looking back at their time. I'm just about to start watching the first series of confidential as I didn't have access to it at the time.

The whouniverse crashed on me so it was back to some of " the Beach "

I did manage to catch the classic clip where the Dr. and a n other were going to escape from the Robomen by diving into the river only for a Dalek to surface.

I have not seen Zoe yet 

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

14 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

The whouniverse crashed on me so it was back to some of " the Beach "

I did manage to catch the classic clip where the Dr. and a n other were going to escape from the Robomen by diving into the river only for a Dalek to surface.

I have not seen Zoe yet 

36 episodes a day and you'll have watched them all by the 60th