Doctor Who

yoda

Excellent episode I thought. Scary-looking monster that was central to the plot rather than tacked on as an afterthought, genuine wonder as to how they were going to get out of it and decent dialogue. That'll do for me.

Sure, the story seems to have rendered that whole falling out with Clara episode obsolete already, but I can't say I'm too bothered about that.

I'm not really one for drooling over celebrity actresses, of course the vast majority of young women on tv are going to be absolute rides. But Clara tonight... ooft.

I feared for the series after the first three episodes, especially that dreadful Robin Hood effort, but since then I think most have been very original and have played to Capaldi's strengths - Capaldi being undoubtedly their best asset by some distance. I'd have liked to have seen Clara take a back seat for an episode or two and let the tension from last week fester away for a bit, but either way it's the most intriguing Doctor/companion relationship I've seen since I've started watching and it feels like it's building up to something big. They're two completely different individuals, and I'm glad that's being addressed and accentuated head on.

As for tonight, I enjoyed the episode even if the villain and his motives were a little unclear and the disappointing way the monster (which was pleasingly creepy) just fell into dust. It was a unique and original setting that didn't allow for much movement, and contributed to the sense of helplessness at escaping from the mummy. The Doctor's improvisation on his own 66 seconds was great to watch.

When I saw the title of last night's episode I feared it would be naff. Very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Also enjoying the lack of snogging and such like in this series.

Last night Capaldi seemed like a hybrid of Hartnell, Troughton and McCoy.

Enjoyed last nights a lot, Frank Skinner was ok but glad he's not staying about. A bit frightening at the start and the hark back to 'The Empty Child' was great. I do wonder tho if the Doctor saved them all, it felt like he was saying it to Clara in very offhandish bullshitting way, spinning an ending to keep her satisfied and she was willing to believe it.

Really enjoyed that last night - thought the mummy looked great and the scene where Capaldi opened the cigarette case to reveal jelly babies was tremendous. Am really enjoying this series so far and Capaldi is superb

I do wonder if we will see Perkins again - few rumours bouncing around on the Gallifrey Base forum that there is more to his character than meets the eye

Really enjoyed that last night - thought the mummy looked great and the scene where Capaldi opened the cigarette case to reveal jelly babies was tremendous. Am really enjoying this series so far and Capaldi is superb

I do wonder if we will see Perkins again - few rumours bouncing around on the Gallifrey Base forum that there is more to his character than meets the eye

Tbf Doctor Who forums are filled with uber-fans who could find a conspiracy in anything and back it up with things from previous episodes

Clara was hot as f**k in that episode!!!

But that isn't the only reason I reckon it was one of the best if not the best episode of the season yet!!!

Also after rewatching it, did anybody else notice that when the Doctor was lying on his bunk discussing/talking with himself, he was definitely using his own voice and a Tom Baker voice to emphasise the opposing viewpoints. Is this something they're perhaps trying to add to the mythos, that the Doctor can reuse or tap into previous incarnations at will when required???

Please somebody else rewatch that scene and tell me I didn't dream it up!!!

Edited by King Kebab

Also after rewatching it, did anybody else notice that when the Doctor was lying on his bunk discussing/talking with himself, he was definitely using his own voice and a Tom Baker voice to emphasise the opposing viewpoints. Is this something they're perhaps trying to add to the mythos, that the Doctor can reuse or tap into previous incarnations at will when required???

Please somebody else rewatch that scene and tell me I didn't dream it up!!!

I thought that too. I did think I imagined it but I'm glad someone else noticed it as well

They've "referenced" older Doctors a few times this series, last week when they were on the beach he was quoting old lines and that.

I enjoyed it too tbh. Plenty of intrigue and guessing to be had, and the plot kept you interested the whole way through. We've also got the question of who "Gus" is and why he's hunting the Doctor, while the longer the ignore this Heaven place the more intriguing it gets.

I don't think he saved everyone either, tbh. He seemed to be trying too hard to make a joke about leaving them all to die in a double bluff sort of way. This Doctor also seems to be put self preservation above all, can't believe he'd waste time risking himself for so many dying people.

Edited by RandomGuy.

They've "referenced" older Doctors a few times this series, last week when they were on the beach he was quoting old lines and that.

I enjoyed it too tbh. Plenty of intrigue and guessing to be had, and the plot kept you interested the whole way through. We've also got the question of who "Gus" is and why he's hunting the Doctor, while the longer the ignore this Heaven place the more intriguing it gets.

I don't think he saved everyone either, tbh. He seemed to be trying too hard to make a joke about leaving them all to die in a double bluff sort of way. This Doctor also seems to be put self preservation above all, can't believe he'd waste time risking himself for so many dying people.

He at least saved frank skinner.

As for 'heaven', a few deaths this week but apparently nobody ended up there.

He at least saved frank skinner.

As for 'heaven', a few deaths this week but apparently nobody ended up there.

Yeah, but for whatever reason he wanted him as a companion, thats possibly the only reason he saved him.

And that we seen, yes.

Really enjoyed that. The tiny TARDIS had me chuckling quite a bit, especially the Doctors angry face frowning out of the wee doors and the Doctor's hand saving the TARDIS on the train tracks.

Once again the monsters/threat were totally inconsequential and it was all about the developing relationship between Clara and the Doctor. Clara learned what it's like to be the Doctor, to be relied on and to have to make tough decisions. The Doctor understood what it was like to rely on a person like the Doctor.

The bit at the end was VERY interesting