Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

George Parr

Probably not everyones favourite comedian but has anyone been watching this? The current series has so far been slightly weaker than the last and there's not really any original material for anyone who has followed Lee's sets. That being said, I thought his piece on William Wallace last night was brilliant. All the eps are on the i-player.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not everyones favourite comedian but has anyone been watching this? The current series has so far been slightly weaker than the last and there's not really any original material for anyone who has followed Lee's sets. That being said, I thought his piece on William Wallace last night was brilliant. All the eps are on the i-player.

I like this series because it doesn't have as many 'sketches' as the last series. However the stand-up is just not as funny. It's strange that you mentioned the William Wallace part because it was the only joke that I had seen before.

I like this series because it doesn't have as many 'sketches' as the last series. However the stand-up is just not as funny. It's strange that you mentioned the William Wallace part because it was the only joke that I had seen before.

Agreed re the sketches, the interview segments with AI have worked much better imo. Re the Wallace joke, I realise now I've seen it before as well! Terrible memory! But most of the series has deffo just been a rehash in general - as confirmed by Lee himself apparently.

I found this series actually funnier than the 1st. The IRA/al Qaeda stuff was really laugh out loud for me. Really like the Armando Ianucci bits too but the sketches I could take or leave. Great show.

I know Stewart Lee divides opinion generally, but he's really pulled off an unusual one with me as he's managed to Divide Mine! I actually love and hate him in roughly equal measure :blink: He is without doubt a self satisfied smug pseudo w**k, but at the same time I do find him funny at times.

I must say that I've found this series better than the first' although I thought the other nights episode (Identity), was really quite poor.

I've heard his 'Scottish' routine he did the other night before. Quite a good routine, but I was annoyed that it wasn't original.

The one the week before where it was just him and the guitar was superb. Loved his song at the end.

Enjoying it this series, but it's not as good as the last series, I have never laughed as much at anything in my life than when I saw his episode with the Only Fools And Horses bit in it. I couldn't breathe for about 20 minutes.

I can't remember if I liked his actual stand up but I got really put off with this thing he kept doing. He began by telling the joke to like straight on to the audience and then at the punch line he'd sort of swoop round and leave big spaces in his words, whilst all the while doing this kind of "I f**k your wife when you're not home" grin. It was pretty annoying for some reason.

I know Stewart Lee divides opinion generally, but he's really pulled off an unusual one with me as he's managed to Divide Mine! I actually love and hate him in roughly equal measure :blink: He is without doubt a self satisfied smug pseudo w**k, but at the same time I do find him funny at times.

I must say that I've found this series better than the first' although I thought the other nights episode (Identity), was really quite poor.

I would say that is more his on stage persona. For example his on stage persona rips into Michael McIntyre regularly and the type of comedy which he creates, however hearing him speak in an interview on 5 live he says he has a lot of respect for McIntyre's act because "it's a talent to appeal to such a large number of people".

I love Stewart lee, but find him hard to watch. He described his performance as a war of attrition and I have to agree, any more than half an hour is too much for me. His review of Chris moyles book in the first series was absolutely hilarious tho.

The 10 minute routine earlier in the series on why Russell Howard should do more charity work and less comedy was one of the finest constructed backhanded put-downs I have ever seen. Just brilliant.

"every day that Russell Howard is not cycling, crops are failing & children are dying. Russell Howard has as good as murdered those children"

:lol:

He steals crisps. :lol:

I think this series is much better than the last. The Scottish material I had heard before but it is still classic. I like the Ianucci interviews too, "apart from the IRA, who makes you proud to be British?".

Gutted that this series and Psychoville are both finishing next week. I am going to have to find something else to watch., and there's not even any sodding football on!

I gave it a chance with the first episode as I thought the last series was decent - albeit poor sketches - but it really was beyond dire. I was quite interested in the national identities theme so might watch still give that a chance on iPlayer.

I've watched a couple of these recently and I really don't find it funny at all. Caught the National Identities one last night and aside from one throwaway line that I can't remember I barely even cracked a smile. I think it's the constant repetition that puts me off, although the material is quite poor anyway. I mean "William Wallace is gay" and "Churchill was a pig"? Aye, very good. In fairness, I'm 19 and I did catch an episode where he said his act wasn't aimed at young people.

I think the part that made me laugh most last night was how annoyed he was getting with Ianucci's questioning.

Archived