Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

George Parr

Nae surprise that Stewart Lee is a P&B favourite.

Tedious, pseudo-intellectual bollocks for the most part with the odd giggle in there to break up the monotony.

I downloaded one of his books "How I Escaped My Certain Fate" and got about 20 pages in before slipping into a coma.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tedious, pseudo-intellectual bollocks for the most part with the odd giggle in there to break up the monotony.

I downloaded one of his books "How I Escaped My Certain Fate" and got about 20 pages in before slipping into a coma.

What I will say is that his Facebook fans group numbers the biggest collection of knobs in the known universe.

And, no - I'm  not a member.

Well, not any more - I lasted about a day. :lol:

His followers are like some kind of esoteric cult.

"You just don't get it man, it's thinking man's comedy".

roy-chubby-brown-britains-rudest-comedia

Fook off.

Reminds me of this: 

I would posit that you're not in sufficiently an intellectual enough position to accurately analyse whether something someone else does is "pseudo-intellectual".

You don't seem that bright, tbh.

Stewart Lee is a shite comic.

Charlie Brooker is far better at pointing out the absurdities in topical material. Lee isnt as funny as the great Bill Hicks when it comes to rallying against popular culture. Lee's act is cynical without the humour.

And without the humour he's little more than an angry bloke sneering at the world and everything around him.

Charlie Brooker is far better at pointing out the absurdities in topical material. Lee isnt as funny as the great Bill Hicks when it comes to rallying against popular culture. Lee's act is cynical without the humour.

And without the humour he's little more than an angry bloke sneering at the world and everything around him.

His overwrought language, overthought logic and complete lack of comedic timing just leaves me scratching my head as to what those in the audience at his shows are laughing at. He reaches for the offhand insights Bill Hicks' shtick used to stumble through but falls woefully short. 

It's easy being dead Bill Hicks.

I'd love to be judged on 90 minutes worth of material.

http://thequietus.com/articles/11439-why-i-hate-the-cult-of-bill-hicks

This is an absolutely excellent read on why Bill Hicks is utterly awful.

Think Hicks is somewhere in the middle. Alot of his material is very very good, but was some very cringey stuff in there and I doubt if he had remained alive his continued output would've been as highly thought of.

I love Stewart Lee. I think I have watched every single clip of him on YouTube. The "generation of people confusing political correctness with health and safety legislation" cracks me up every time I see it.

He's very clever, really enjoy his work.

The girl at the salon says I can't have a cup of hot coffee because it might upset a Pakistani.

Love Stewart Lee - his bit on Top Gear is some of the best comedy I have ever seen.

He used to do a festival run where I worked and he was class. Even with pissed-up late night crowds he always did very well. A very intelligent comedian who is a cut above the "Have you ever noticed?" crowd.

A genuinely nice guy as well in an industry full of wanks.

Love Stewart Lee - his bit on Top Gear is some of the best comedy I have ever seen.

I used to run a comedy club in Edinburgh and he did the late night show during the festival so it was about 2:30am. The place was packed and he did a 30 minute bit slaughtering William Wallace. It was a predominantly Scottish crowd and he got a standing ovation at the end. A genuinely nice guy as well in an industry full of wanks.

This clip was filmed in The Stand in Glasgow

Archived