Nightshift.

Do any of you night shift c***s actually do any work?

Do they f**k, I used to spend my nightshift eating the produce and getting paid for sleeping.

I'm in the admissions ward and we do either 2 nights 3 off then another 2on/3off or a run of 3 each month it is absolutely non stop in our ward but I love it shifts just fly by, quite often a lot busier than the day shifts, the only bad thing that I've experienced is minor hallucinations due to tiredness at the end of the run of 3

(I'm unlucky this month, have 2x 3 runs of nights )

Been watching beer lines being cleaned for three hours now. If I hear one person complain about their pint tomorrow I'll give them a pint of line cleaning fluid instead.

On a positive note, having a shite in the ladies' toilets is a weirdly great experience.

• 5 years later...
Thread bump.  Nightshift is brilliant, currently on 9 of 14.  
Tonight, I've been to the gym, spent a couple of hours fannying about online and currently watching Boston Celtics v Toronto Raptors.
The changeover when you go home is literally the only negative to nightshift. Honestly have no idea how I didnt end up in the disciplinary process for internet usage during my last 9 or so months of 3 weekers.

The changeover when you go home is literally the only negative to nightshift. Honestly have no idea how I didnt end up in the disciplinary process for internet usage during my last 9 or so months of 3 weekers.

I’m actually pretty good at changing back over, 2 weeks I can change over by the time the chopper lands. 3 weeks, takes me a day, maybe 2 at the most. You know yourself, absolutely f**k all gets done on nightshift.

54 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I’m actually pretty good at changing back over, 2 weeks I can change over by the time the chopper lands. 3 weeks, takes me a day, maybe 2 at the most. You know yourself, absolutely f**k all gets done on nightshift.

I was never big on sleeping at my old work, specially towards the end of the trip where I was fully in night mode anyway. In my current work I tend to fall off my perch more frequently. 

• 3 years later...

That's me back on the 12 hour nightshifts for a couple of months after being on 8-5's for the last few years.

It's taken a few weeks adjustments at home but it's been a breeze, 6-6 two weeks days then two weeks nights.

It's a strange system but it gives plenty of time off, week one is Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Week two is just Wednesday & Thursday. 

The weekends & nights are easy as there's 3 of us on with no management or hastle.

3 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

That's me back on the 12 hour nightshifts for a couple of months after being on 8-5's for the last few years.

It's taken a few weeks adjustments at home but it's been a breeze, 6-6 two weeks days then two weeks nights.

It's a strange system but it gives plenty of time off, week one is Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Week two is just Wednesday & Thursday. 

The weekends & nights are easy as there's 3 of us on with no management or hastle.

I'm back on night/backshift soon, can't wait! The last few weeks have been a blurry mess doing early morning training, but obviously done something right for the new boss to trust me on it.

Back to the midnight Asda shops in peace n quiet, and late night P&B ramblings without the fuzzy, half asleep heid! 

On 14/09/2020 at 05:53, MONKMAN said:

I have a lot of downtime with my role and so actively choose nightshift as TV is better, and the rec' area is significantly quieter.  That and being able to have the occasional kebab for breakfast with no questions asked.

Doesn't matter how I manage my hours on the return day of departure, I will always involuntarily fall asleep on the couch by 8pm for the best part of a week.  My other half wanted to see Dune 2 on its release date, and I feel asleep for pretty much the duration (a mountain of popcorn spilled out my lap when I got up at the end 😄).  I watched it 'again' offshore and didn't even recognise Feyd-Rautha.

I always do the early check-in and then go to bed expecting it to get cancelled, asking somebody to wake me up should it surprisingly turn up on time (cf. fog / trigger lightning / wind / sea state / alternative airport closure / pilot hours / pilot illness / strike action / another platform suddenly being in limits... and so on).

Edited by Hedgecutter

I haven't done a nightshift in years, but the thread bump has reminded me. 

When I worked in Somerfield, I did a few nightshifts. We were paid the handsome sum of time and a third. Stacking the shelves when the shop was shut. It was non-stop, and the guy running the shift was a bit of a bellend, always trying to get us to hurry up and finish so that we could all then sit in the (closed) canteen together. 

A few years later I was doing them in a different way. We'd get beamtime at a synchrotron source of a neutron source, and you'd be given 48 hours, 72 hours and (in one awful case) a week. The expectation was that you were gathering data the entire time. We'd go out as a team and take it in shifts - sitting in a windowless, air conditioned room, hour after hour of putting samples in the hutch, securing the doors, setting up the run, hitting start, then surfing the internet. I remember leaving it to go back to the on-site accommodation once and being surprised that it was dark outside. All sense of time lost. 

The hardest places to do this was the synchrotrons. You do all the set up etc. and the sample would be exposed to X-rays for a fraction of a second (at Diamond or the ESRF) or a couple of minutes (Daresbury). You could set up multiple samples to stretch it out. Neutron sources were easier - at the ILL the sample would be exposed to the neturons for 15 minutes, so you had plenty of time to mess about online. ISIS was even better - 8 hour run times. Literally, every 8 hours go down into the well, take out the old sample, put in the new, come back out and start it again. I got through DVD box sets on my laptop there. 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I haven't done a nightshift in years, but the thread bump has reminded me. 

When I worked in Somerfield, I did a few nightshifts. We were paid the handsome sum of time and a third. Stacking the shelves when the shop was shut. It was non-stop, and the guy running the shift was a bit of a bellend, always trying to get us to hurry up and finish so that we could all then sit in the (closed) canteen together. 

A few years later I was doing them in a different way. We'd get beamtime at a synchrotron source of a neutron source, and you'd be given 48 hours, 72 hours and (in one awful case) a week. The expectation was that you were gathering data the entire time. We'd go out as a team and take it in shifts - sitting in a windowless, air conditioned room, hour after hour of putting samples in the hutch, securing the doors, setting up the run, hitting start, then surfing the internet. I remember leaving it to go back to the on-site accommodation once and being surprised that it was dark outside. All sense of time lost. 

The hardest places to do this was the synchrotrons. You do all the set up etc. and the sample would be exposed to X-rays for a fraction of a second (at Diamond or the ESRF) or a couple of minutes (Daresbury). You could set up multiple samples to stretch it out. Neutron sources were easier - at the ILL the sample would be exposed to the neturons for 15 minutes, so you had plenty of time to mess about online. ISIS was even better - 8 hour run times. Literally, every 8 hours go down into the well, take out the old sample, put in the new, come back out and start it again. I got through DVD box sets on my laptop there. 

I was with you upto the end of the 2nd paragraph, after that I think you’ve made up most of those words 

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I was with you upto the end of the 2nd paragraph, after that I think you’ve made up most of those words 

Back in 2002 (jeezo - 22 years ago!) I was travelling back from the ESRF through Manchester Airport with a guy who has been with me at the synchrotron. He was an archaeologist and had taken thin sections of some soil for analysis. We'd spent days looking for something called spherulites in these sections with the X-ray machine. I can't remember exactly why - something to do with 2000 year old sheep dip and it telling him something about farming back in the day. 

Anyway, coming back he had taken his thin section slides in his hand luggage. We got stopped (this was not much post-9/11 and security was insane). The guard asked him to open his bag, which he did, and brought out all these slides. The guard asked him to explain what these were, and he did - in lots of detail. He went on for ages talking about northern Scottish farming practices in ancient times and how this affected bones, and digestion, and what we had spent the last few days looking at, long past when the guard had given up the ghost. The poor guy's face, he just wanted to make sure it wasn't semtex. He did not want to learn about the digestive practices of a sheep from millennia ago. 

28 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Back in 2002 (jeezo - 22 years ago!) I was travelling back from the ESRF through Manchester Airport with a guy who has been with me at the synchrotron. He was an archaeologist and had taken thin sections of some soil for analysis. We'd spent days looking for something called spherulites in these sections with the X-ray machine. I can't remember exactly why - something to do with 2000 year old sheep dip and it telling him something about farming back in the day. 

Anyway, coming back he had taken his thin section slides in his hand luggage. We got stopped (this was not much post-9/11 and security was insane). The guard asked him to open his bag, which he did, and brought out all these slides. The guard asked him to explain what these were, and he did - in lots of detail. He went on for ages talking about northern Scottish farming practices in ancient times and how this affected bones, and digestion, and what we had spent the last few days looking at, long past when the guard had given up the ghost. The poor guy's face, he just wanted to make sure it wasn't semtex. He did not want to learn about the digestive practices of a sheep from millennia ago. 

I used to get the call of shame at the heliport in Aberdeen when they realised a box in my boots* contained microscope sides.  It was actually them that kept asking me questions out of curiosity.

As for your previous post, replace synchrotron with 'electron microprobe' and I'm not too far off what you describe.  I probably should have learned about a dozen languages fluently by now.

*I had to explain that it was because they needed to be kept upright, not because I was trying to sneak them in.

Edited by Hedgecutter