Queen

KeeperDee

I'd take Oasis over AC/DC, The Stone Roses and Rolling Stones from that list.

Oasis are a joy to listen to. You could argue talent and shit like that. Personally, I think that matters not a jot. If the music is good to listen to, then that's what matters.

Oasis are a joy to listen to. You could argue talent and shit like that. Personally, I think that matters not a jot. If the music is good to listen to, then that's what matters.

hammer-nail.jpg

Words cannot describe how ridiculous a statement that is.

Anyone else think that Queen are possibly the best band ever? :D

I think you'll find Hot Space and the last 3 albums go to disprove your premise.

I love Queen though, great band, and one I've never seen live funnily enough (I don't like stadium gigs and by the time I was old enough to see them, that's all they did). Their best work though, imo, is the first 3 albums (Q1, Q2 and Sheer Heart Attack). The anthemic stuff is good, but too populist, I honestly could go my entire life without hearing We are the Champions or We Will Rock You one more time. That said from the very same album (News of the World) there is a cracking track called Spread Your Wings. So good that I think I'll post a YT link to it, but it demonstrates perfectly the problem with Queen; some excellent music, some painfully over played chart hits, some utter rubbish.

One of the nicest thing about this is despite the fact Queen are very famous and live luxury lifestyles, they can still put out songs on subjects far removed.

As I say though, the earliest stuff is what I like best..

I've played this track to quite a few people, and when I tell it's queen they seem genuinely surprised.

There is also a common argument given that Queen failed to do a great studio album after Jazz (1978) and to be honest I find it hard to argue against that.

Surely one of the worst records in Queen's impressive back catalogue - much of that maudlin last minute stuff was just dreadful.

Sorry.

Backing up my point exactly. The dreadful last 3 albums (The Miracle, Innuendo & Made in Heaven) are pretty poor. There is the odd track of the three that is worthy of a listen (like the title track from Innuendo) but it is mostly filler, especially the last album as it was a cut and shut job with everything left over once Freddie was dead.

As for the worst album, surely Hot Space. Now granted it had Under Pressure on it, the rest is gash and if you listen to The Game (before it) and The Works (after it - I'll not count Flash Gordon as a standard studio album) it's so out of place it's almost like another band came in and did the work. For those who have never heard Hot Space here is a medley from YT...

For a band who up until The Game (1980) actively promoted the fact no synthesisers were used on their albums, Hot Space just seems like a very bad mistake.

I read an interview with Roger Waters, late of Pink Floyd, who declared himself one of the top five songwriters since the war - when asked who he thought would be in the top five beside him, he said John Lennon and, maybe, Freddie Mercury - praise indeed!

Mr Waters? Having a high opinion of himself? Imagine that..