The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpity bump.

So tomorrow we play host to Swansea in our first home game of 2013 and I'm looking forward to going down for it. Both teams come into it on the back of good cup results during the week - Swansea's victory at Chelsea was impressive, while we were very professional at Cheltenham in the FA Cup and scored some good goals. Hopefully, Swansea's exertions against Arsenal and Chelsea in the last week will have affected them, but we should be confident having comfortably disposed of them in Wales earlier in the season.

These are games we need to be looking to win if the top four is to be a realistic aim. COYB.

I made my first trip of the season down to this one with my wife, and it was a game that was disappointing not to win.

Swansea did their job of defending well and were very resolute. We had a number of half chances but lacked the cutting edge to put any away. Jelavic or Fellaini probably had the best ones, but Swansea's defence stood firm.

Their best chance came from Michu's header which was touched onto the bar, but other than that, they created very little.

Everton could have scored in the first half with the header which went just by the post, but to be fair, I think a home win would have been harsh on Swanse as they defended well and limited us to what we created.

It's disappointing to not have won such a 'winnable' home game, but we won't win many games playing like that, and a draw was a fair result in the end as far as I'm concerned.

Can't really disagree mate. We had enough chances to win but credit to Swansea - they came to sit in and make it difficult, which they did. They defended well and frustrated us, and got the point they were looking for.

It was just one of those days that the ball just wouldn't fall our way in the box. But we still played some decent stuff and we'll pick up more wins than not as the season goes on.

This is a must-win tonight for Everton. After Tottenham and Arsenal dropping points, and especially after all the Southampton fallout on Friday - it's a huge game tonight for both clubs.

Hopefully the departure of Adkins has knocked the stuffing out of them, and we won't be coming up against the kind of resilience Saints have shown in their last few games.

Very disappointing result. We simply HAD to take advantage of Spurs and Arsenal slipping up at the weekend. Poor performance tonight and it was an absolutely terrible game. Southampton should have beat us easily.

Everton were better in 2nd half. Anichebe and mirallas very lively when they came on. Good options to have.

Last night showed that we need new faces, especially up front. Jelavic is devoid of confidence - he had a good chance second half which he fluffed.

First half, Southampton dominated it and deserved to be in front - only a couple of really good saves from Howard denied them. Things were much better second half and overall a point was fair, but it wasn't a great game.

The main positive from it was that Mirallas is back.

The team look like they're running on empty and reinforcements are needed if we're to challenge for the Champions League - over to you, Kenwright.

The team look like they're running on empty and reinforcements are needed if we're to challenge for the Champions League - over to you, Kenwright.

That's been our problem for season-after-season, as far as I'm concerned.

Our first eleven is a match for any side in the PL, but once the heavy fixture list sets in post-Christmas, the lack of depth in our squad is laid bare once again. We rely on youngsters to fill the bench (many with good potential it must be said), but who don't have the experience when needed to step up.

Again, for next season, adding good depth should be the aim as far as I'm concerned.

I thought it was more to do with usually starting slowly and ending up in the bottom 3 after 8 games?

A good job that Suarez goal was disallowed in the Derby or Liverpool would only be a point behind! ;-)

Our first eleven is a match for any side in the PL, but once the heavy fixture list sets in post-Christmas, the lack of depth in our squad is laid bare once again. We rely on youngsters to fill the bench (many with good potential it must be said), but who don't have the experience when needed to step up.

Again, for next season, adding good depth should be the aim as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely. When our first choice team are fit, they're as good as anyone. But when we start to get injuries and suspensions, we don't have enough in depth of a similar quality to come into the team.

A couple of new signings would give the whole place a lift. 4th is still going to be difficult, but is achievable. Though I'd take a run to the FA Cup final ahead of that!

While Oldham played well and deserved their win, it's a tie we've got to be happy with and be confident of progressing from.

We'll take a big support no doubt, and if we treat it the way it should be treated, then we should be confident of progressing.

I would agree. We can't underestimate them given today (and, bearing in mind Oldham knocked us out at Goodison a few years back) but I'm certain Moyes won't. Given some of the teams now out, this is another big chance for us to potentially reach the semi final or final.

Would've preferred a home draw, but not the worst draw we could've got.

I would agree. We can't underestimate them given today (and, bearing in mind Oldham knocked us out at Goodison a few years back) but I'm certain Moyes won't. Given some of the teams now out, this is another big chance for us to potentially reach the semi final or final.

Would've preferred a home draw, but not the worst draw we could've got.

Stop this semi-final/final chat until nearer the time, eh?