The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

Martinez is a decent enough appointment, although my gut reaction is a bit 'meh'. He's a decent manager and seems to be rated by many in football, I'd just have liked to have seen us aim a bit higher.

His win record with Wigan was far from great, and he's resided over a very leaky defence, and a side which in the end was relegated from The Premiership.

I think he'll do a decent job for us, and for me, Top 6 should again be the aim. If he's able to being players in, then it will all depend on how much he's got to do so, on the calibre of those players.

Yes, I'd certainly have McCarthy, probably McArthur too, and perhaps one or two others as squad players, but I'd like to see Martinez be given at least a wee bit of money to spend.

As much as he's great and we all love him, if a Fellaini offer comes in, I'd let him go. It would free up some money for Martinez to strengthen the squad, and perhaps more importantly, as has been our downfall in the last couple of seasons IMO, add a bit of depth to the squad as well.

Everton will do very well to make top 6 next year, not because they'll necessarily regress under Martinez, but because Liverpool look like slowsly getting their act together, and I expect them and Spurs to duke it out for fifth.

• 3 weeks later...

It would seem that I'm in the minority here, but if we could get a decent fee (£12m plus), I'd punt Baines.

He's a cracking player and has done terrifically for us since his arrival from Wigan, and I'd more than happily keep him, but we need to add to and improve the squad. And £12m-ish for a 28 year-old left back would give us good scope to do that. We brought Baines in at a relatively low cost and improved him no end, I'd like to see us do similar again.

We're a great club, and have a very decent squad, but it could do with a bit of freshening up and having a bit of depth added to it. I'd like to see Martinez be given a bit of money to spend, and if we were to sell Baines and/or Fellaini to facilitate that, then I wouldn't be unhappy.

I would however be worried if the money was used to bring in the likes of Kone or Scharner, however...

Do you reckon Anichebe, Jelavic, Naismith will all be kept on?

No reason he'd let any of those players go, although if someone came in with a decent offer for Jelavic i would take it.

Really concerned he'll turn out to be a half-season wonder.

Edited by Christophe

Bad move for Everton

How so?

Sky reporting that Dave Whelan is expecting to sell Kone to Everton for £5m in the next 24hrs.

Also reporting that Alcaraz will sign on a free transfer <_<

There is absolutely nothing more cringeworthy than a Scottish football fan referring to an English team as "we".

Back to the topic, it'll be interesting to see how Martinez does this season because I don't think he's half as good as Dave Whelan would have you believe.

There is absolutely nothing more cringeworthy than a Scottish football fan referring to an English team as "we".

Why? Is it more cringeworthy that saying your Scottish team is "we". It's not as if you actually contribute to either

Why? Is it more cringeworthy that saying your Scottish team is "we". It's not as if you actually contribute to either

I'd class going to the games, perhaps buying a season ticket, as a far bigger contribution and one worthy of the "we" reference as opposed to watching a team on the television on a Saturday night and possibly going to a game every season. I watch Fulham a couple of times a season and have done for the last 15 years, have been abroad for European games, etc. yet certainly wouldn't refer to them as "we".

I'd class going to the games, perhaps buying a season ticket, as a far bigger contribution and one worthy of the "we" reference as opposed to watching a team on the television on a Saturday night and possibly going to a game every season. I watch Fulham a couple of times a season and have done for the last 15 years, have been abroad for European games, etc. yet certainly wouldn't refer to them as "we".

While I agree with the point you're making, some of the regular contributors to this thread attend games at Goodison frequently so it's unfair to lump them in alongside the 'we brigade' who only watch the highlights on MOTD.

While I agree with the point you're making, some of the regular contributors to this thread attend games at Goodison frequently so it's unfair to lump them in alongside the 'we brigade' who only watch the highlights on MOTD.

That's fair enough. Although triggered by a post in this thread, it wasn't really directed at anyone in particular - just a bit of pet hate generated by reading folk refer to clubs as their own after playing a season with them on Footy Manager or some other equally tenuous, frankly psuedo, association.