The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

That's fair enough. Although triggered by a post in this thread, it wasn't really directed at anyone in particular - just a bit of pet hate generated by reading folk refer to clubs as their own after playing a season with them on Footy Manager or some other equally tenuous, frankly psuedo, association.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. It could also be that posters are just referring to them as 'we' on P&B to highlight that that's who they support. I don't refer to Ayr as 'we' in day to day life but do so on here more as a means of identification rather than anything else and it wouldn't surprise me if others did the same. Each to their own though I guess, in general I've got no problem with people referring to their team as 'we', though TV fans doing it irritates me also.

There is absolutely nothing more cringeworthy than a Scottish football fan referring to an English team as "we".

Back to the topic, it'll be interesting to see how Martinez does this season because I don't think he's half as good as Dave Whelan would have you believe.

Why?

I've been supporting Everton since the 70's, been going down to Goodison since the early 80's and was down there only a couple of months ago. I think anyone who does actually support an English, or any other team, is entitled to refer to that team as "we".

Sky reporting that Dave Whelan is expecting to sell Kone to Everton for £5m in the next 24hrs.

£5 million for Kone? Sceptical about how it will work out.

Do you reckon Anichebe, Jelavic, Naismith will all be kept on?

Wouldn't see why not.

Also reporting that Alcaraz will sign on a free transfer <_<

As with Kone, I'm sceptical.

I'd class going to the games, perhaps buying a season ticket, as a far bigger contribution and one worthy of the "we" reference as opposed to watching a team on the television on a Saturday night and possibly going to a game every season. I watch Fulham a couple of times a season and have done for the last 15 years, have been abroad for European games, etc. yet certainly wouldn't refer to them as "we".

This has been debated on P&B numerous times before, but I don't see the issue. I buy a 'Foreverton' membership each year, and in each of the last two seasons I've made about 10 or 11 Everton games, including the 2012 FA Cup semi final. What about people who support, say, the Pars, but who live in another part of the country and can't attend many games? Should they stop referring to them as 'we'?

I know where you're coming from with people who claim to support teams like Man Utd and Liverpool by simply buying a top once in a while, but if you feel strongly enough about a team that I don't have a problem with calling them 'we'.

In my case, Dunfermline will always come first but I enjoy getting to a lot of Everton games too and they are close to my heart too.

Phil Neville to be named as coach at Old Trafford later today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23177876

Next week Moyes is expected to sign Kevin Ratcliffe, Peter Reid and big Nev Southall, and it will also be announced that Man U will start walking on to the strains of Z Cars.

Phil Neville to be named as coach at Old Trafford later today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23177876

Next week Moyes is expected to sign Kevin Ratcliffe, Peter Reid and big Nev Southall, and it will also be announced that Man U will start walking on to the strains of Z Cars.

Manager brings backroom team to new club shocker!

Man Utd forum for this kind of ordinaryness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23230927

So it seems that Everton have signed Kone in the end. Decidedly unimpressed.

Yup. But like anyone else who wears the shirt, he'll get my support.

On another and much sadder note, club legend Dave Hickson has passed away. I met him after a game a couple of seasons back with the guys I go down with and he was an absolute gentleman. A very sad day for the club.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/07/08/dave-hickson

Yup. But like anyone else who wears the shirt, he'll get my support.

I would have tended to agree, but according to Armand2 I'm not an Everton supporter after all - and therefore have no moral right to do so. :P

I would have tended to agree, but according to Armand2 I'm not an Everton supporter after all - and therefore have no moral right to do so. :P

Ha! Good point.

The keeper Joel Robles has also signed.

Serious question. If Everton were near the relegation places by the end of the year would the chairman panic or stick by Martinez?

Robles I think is a good signing, but Howard should still be number one.

In answer to you RandomGuy, most likely give him time. He gave Walter Smith perhaps more time than the fans wanted / expected - if the Blues are struggling, he'll be backed by Kenwright. Not that I expect Everton to be in the lower reaches of the league.

Gerard Deulofeu likely to be signing for the season on loan from Barca apparantly.