Dota 2

banana

After the last few years where the final has been a relatively tense affair, NewBee (who were a game away from elimination at one point) stomped their way to victory fucking up everyone in their path. After losing the first game in the best of five, they won their final three convincingly. In the end, only one set of 'racks was taken during the whole grand final which was over by the back of 9pm GMT. After making the brackets, they were by far an away the strongest team.

They casually walked away with $5m as the winners, which is pretty incredible considering last year Alliance only took home $1.4m when they one (Vici Gaming took home more in second place this year).

The grand final was awful. EG and C9 really fucked up their chance to make it there in the face of brutal early 5 man balling from the Chinese.

It was effective but it was boring to watch. I'm really disappointed at that finish.

I don't know how correct that is, his mana is down to 1 as well. I think it drops like that at the last second if you're still taking damage during the split.

Incidently, I'm not quite sure how four days has gone past and none of us have mentioned techies. It'll be a nightmare in pub games for the next wee bit, albeit then you've already had ridiculously strong heroes so far with Fire Spirit, Earth Spirit and Terrorblade added quite recently.

Incidently, I'm not quite sure how four days has gone past and none of us have mentioned techies. It'll be a nightmare in pub games for the next wee bit, albeit then you've already had ridiculously strong heroes so far with Fire Spirit, Earth Spirit and Terrorblade added quite recently.

Techies is a gimmick hero that becomes 100% dead weight if he / his team isn't winning hard, getting levels and items. He can be strong in the right hands if he gets items out.

Push with a gem when the time is right.

• 5 months later...

Update. Going back to Frankfurt for ESL again this year. Will take more pics and document it more this time around, cracking experience last time and properly buzzing for June again already.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Going back to Frankfurt for ESL again this year. Will take more pics and document it more this time around, cracking experience last time and properly buzzing for June again already.

Should be pretty beastly. Might see about going myself. Over the last year I've started following the pro scene a lot closer. Not playing as much due to my new job though. Team Secret seem to be wiping the floor at the DAC (which now has a prize pool superseded by TI3 and 4) with their new line up (Puppey, S4, Kuroky, Arteezy and Zai).

In all honesty, I've been surprised at how quickly they've gelled. Obviously rtz and zai are brilliant additions, but I didn't expect them to dominate this much so early. Especially given the synergy that N0tail and Puppey had when he was in Secret. It'll be certainly interesting to see how they get on over the next few months. Also, Puppey brining back Chen is pretty fucking hilarious.

Ha, aye I seen that at the time. Universe's twitter account is something to behold as well.

Fear is the top boy though. I met him at the ESL afterparty in Frankfurt and he was pretty sound geezer. Been my favourite player since I started watching probably 2 years ago now. He had a pretty terrible EG team to carry back then, glad that the last 6 months he's actually had some top level players to work with.

Never thought I'd see a Dota 2 thread on a Scottish Football Fans forum.

8zQcyKv.png

We must be close to 10 P&B players now, time to get that scrim going.

Agree with rw89, it's been amazing how quickly rtz and zai have integrated into Secret. Zai has been fucking phenominal with his ability to get farm from the offlane and/or catch up to have an impact on the game. His Bristleback in particular has rocked. Must be great being Puppey and Kuroky knowing that there's three gamewinning cores in front of you - one or two get shutdown or partially shutdown, the other(s) step up. Kuro's Rubick has been ace too.