Hillsborough debate

Desert Nomad

Fair enough. Felt really sorry for that copper tbh - seemed like even the rank and file polis were hung out to dry by their superiors.

There was a lot of good police caught up in that. No-one took charge but people tried to get things organised. Human nature kicks in and some folk panic and cover their own arse, and others simply try to help.

The cover up would've been hard to challenge from the inside. Grassing up nowadays is difficult enough but back then, not really an option.

I posted on page 1 of this thread about my opinions and got shouted down and abused, perhaps I wasnt talking pish after all 

Page 1 of this thread actually perfectly demonstrates how well the authorities got their version of events out there as being "the facts".

Page 1 of this thread actually perfectly demonstrates how well the authorities got their version of events out there as being "the facts".

Spot on - I re-read pages one and two (couldn't go any further) of this thread yesterday and was disappointed/saddened/sickened with the amount of nonsense many people spouted as truth because they'd read it in the papers, seen it on the news or just held it to be true due to their own prejudices.

It shows the incredible power of the senior policemen who were responsible. They briefed the gullible media and politicians who believed every word that they said.

Yep, a reflection on how poorly football fans generally, were thought of back in the 80s. People would believe the worst.

Spot on - I re-read pages one and two (couldn't go any further) of this thread yesterday and was disappointed/saddened/sickened with the amount of nonsense many people spouted as truth because they'd read it in the papers, seen it on the news or just held it to be true due to their own prejudices.

I wonder if any of the hard and edgy posters spouting that shite will comment now?

Either they are thundering morons who will believe any old shite the media tell them to believe or for some reason simply wanted what they said to be true. Which is odd given some of the posters involved as some of them come across as reasonable and not that kind on many other threads. Do any of them buy in to the whole 'our brave boys' bullshit about soldiers that the media peddle for example? If not then why were did they seemingly so quickly and unquestioningly believe the lies about 'drunk ticketless fans' and the other lies used to smear the fans as part of the cover up?

Edited by DA Baracus

There are a couple of older threads on here somewhere about Hillsborough with even worse. I was shot down with all sorts for saying so.

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

Yep, a reflection on how poorly football fans generally, were thought of back in the 80s. People would believe the worst.

People believed the worst, believed the things the media said, because in those days fans often behaved badly and the things that were said were believable.

Given that English football was still in a period where fans were banned from Europe for their behaviour (stemming from Liverpool fans behaviour at Heysel) the idea that people are stupid or moronic for believing what was said is ridiculous, in the context of the time it was sadly all too plausible.

That said I am glad they have managed to get get the truth out and have some kind of redress - it's a shame that those responsible, especially for the cover-up and smearing the victims names, probably can't be brought to justice now.

Probably. I was going to suggest he checks any EPL/Liverpool match thread, but it's more fun watching him humiliate himself. I think you offended him be failing to show the appropriate gratitude for his wee flag upload laugh.gif

I'd forgotten about Graham Kelly actually until you mentioned it there. Duckenfield however receives the lion's share of the blame for all this. These appear to be the Police's main players re Hillsborough. Two of them are dead, one was nothing more than a mouthpiece/lackey, which really only leaves 75 year old Duckenfield to face the music from the Police side of things. The chances are that any enquiry will take ages, then be followed (presumably) by a court case. He'll have croaked before anything happens unfortunately.

Peter Wright, ex-chief constable South Yorkshire Police. Orchestrated police attempts to blame fans. Resignation initially rejected, but quit in 1990. Died 2011, aged 82.

David Duckenfield, ex-chief superintendent SYP. Lied to senior officers, blaming drunken, violent supporters. Retired, aged 55, in 1992 having avoided disciplinary action for neglect of duty. No verdict was given in manslaughter case brought by families in 2000.

Bernard Murray, ex-Superintendent SYP. Escaped disciplinary action following Duckenfield�s retirement. Acquitted of manslaughter charges brought by families in 2000. Died in 2006.

Paul Middup, ex-SYP Police Federation Secretary. Was part of the briefing process to White�s News agency in Sheffield, wrongly blaming supporters for the tragedy. Clearly felt he was acting on the authority of the Chief Constable.

There's the post you were alluding to earlier Jupe. That was not a good experience going back through this thread. That Celtic fan who thought I was a troll because I didn't like his picture I had totally forgotten about.

There's the post you were alluding to earlier Jupe. That was not a good experience going back through this thread. That Celtic fan who thought I was a troll because I didn't like his picture I had totally forgotten about.

I'd forgotten about that guy as well. A totally surreal series of posts. He was an absolute mentalist.

Even after this verdict there were morons shouting about a 'political' verdict and that Liverpool fans were still to blame. Gone extremely quiet now.

There were always going to be some who would not be happy about the verdict no matter which way it went.

I don't think anyone is in the position to comment fully as they have not listened to and seen the full evidence.

That being said if there are criminal proceedings then they have to follow the same process of natural justice - any conviction must be on the basis of the evidence available.

They did have a P.A. I read somewhere that Kenny Dalglish used it to announce the game was abandoned. Why it wasn't used before that to announce what was going on is just another example of the total failure of the response.

In fact the PA wasn't working-Kenny Dalglish had to go into the DJ's area to use the system there to appeal for calm.

If anyone is interested and missed it, here's the programme shown the other week:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
58 minutes ago, JamieStevenson said:

I might have felt a little sympathy for him if he hadn't gone out of his way to blame the fans for what happened on that awful, tragic day.

The mistakes and misjudgments were one thing but to blame the fans for what happened was unforgivable. I don't know how the despicable c**t can live with himself after his actions.