Fascinating Photos

Tristan Da Cunha is a british overseas territory and one of the most isolated places in the world. There is about 250 people that live there and the nearest place to them is over 2000 miles away in South Africa. They get 1 boat a year that visits them with mail and other stuff they need. They finally got tv in 2001.

The-Tristan-da-Cunha-archihelago_Spectacular-nature_9367.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tristan Da Cunha is a british overseas territory and one of the most isolated places in the world. There is about 250 people that live there and the nearest place to them is over 2000 miles away in South Africa. They get 1 boat a year that visits them with mail and other stuff they need. They finally got tv in 2001.

Half of it's inhabitants also suffer from Asthma. Nothing at all to do with inbreeding of course :rolleyes:

Aye apparantly the 80 families all share the same 8 surnames :lol:

Googled and unashamedly ripped straight from wikipedia, although loving the way they 'just added one' back in 1986:

"Glass (Scottish), Green (Dutch), Hagan (Irish), Lavarello (Italian, a typical Liqurian surname), Repetto (Italian, another typical Ligurian surname), Rogers (English), Swain (English), and Patterson (Scottish). The addition of the eighth surname, Patterson, occurred in 1986 when a Tristanian married a Scotsman and returned to settle on Tristan. There are 80 families on the island."

I remember standing on the glass floor in that tower years ago. Heights don't normally bother me but the thought of the glass breaking scared the hell out me.

I did that too and for the life of me I could not manage to step onto the glass without looking away while stepping on - I was fine once on it just that initial 1st step.

As for space photography I have been following Ron Garan on google+ who has just finished a 5 1/2 month stint on the international space station. Some of the images from his time up there are stunning

Ron Garan Google+

As for space photography I have been following Ron Garan on google+ who has just finished a 5 1/2 month stint on the international space station. Some of the images from his time up there are stunning

Ron Garan Google+

Those ones work for me, looking back at the earth isn't quite so hollywood!

Archived