Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

The contortion was needed when you wished to tie the FTTT verdict to the title stripping inquiry; before then completely divorcing the two when the CoS revised the FTTT ruling.

That's a fair point (in general terms - I have no idea if it is a relevant stick with which to beat the poster you are referring to).

A quote from the telegraph

" However, it is believed that one argument against the supposition that Rangers secured players by means of EBTs is that a range of variable inducements were in operation at that time and not only at Ibrox. Other avoidance schemes involved investment in such vehicles as film production companies and forestry development"

Film production companies?

A pretty common tax dodge amongst media types, apparently. Not sure exactly how it works, but I think its something along the lines of investing money in a film production company which makes losses that you use to offset tax ...possibly. Its what some of Take That were done for I believe.

How apt that Rangers main line of defence is pure whataboutery

Never had a RM account and never will, the place is a joke, probably more Rangers hating obsessives post there than genuine Rangers fans.

FF, I have about 300 posts.

Wunf / Njord probably has 10x that on FF, he already admitted on here to having 7 user accounts, he also claims to know a celtic fan who lives on FF and has over 20k posts.

Hahaha what a sad obsession mate from CFC fans

RM is alright but there's always a few really poor posters on it, (BiB ) who just talk mince sarcastically about everything etc. Even if they are a real bear it's not really worth reading for more than 30 mins a week unfortunately, that seems to be the way the big posters of that forum operate rather than check every day

Edited by MRF-LCC-RFC

A pretty common tax dodge amongst media types, apparently. Not sure exactly how it works, but I think its something along the lines of investing money in a film production company which makes losses that you use to offset tax ...possibly. Its what some of Take That were done for I believe.

How apt that Rangers main line of defence is pure whataboutery

Rangers may have been systematically cheating for years but Celtic put on a production of "Springtime for Hitler".

What I don't get about this line of reasoning is Celtic cheating (if they did outside of benny's head) doesn't make Rangers cheating OK. At the most it should mean Celtic get the book thrown at them too.

Rangers may have been systematically cheating for years but Celtic put on a production of "Springtime for Hitler".

What I don't get about this line of reasoning is Celtic cheating (if they did outside of benny's head) doesn't make Rangers cheating OK. At the most it should mean Celtic get the book thrown at them too.

It all happened 10 years ago everyone has moved on except from small club fans who are obsessed with the hype and CFC fans whose only motivation isn't sporting integrity but trying to cheat their way to tittle stripping which is already ruled out ... Waste of time going on about cheating

One of my favourite non-arguments. "But other clubs could have cheated too." It's a classic.

It operated on a basis that was fluid at the time and has since changed. Saying that they were doing so and had no interest in how that situation might change does not make it right.

I assume that the commission pretty-much disregarded the use of EBTs as their use in no way contravened SPL rules. Instead they thoroughly investigated how players' contacts were presented to the authorities and, rightly, found us culpable.

Its ruling also contained a mention of "no sporting advantage". This is a ludicrous notion and it has been discredited.

I thought your issue was over the way the commission conducted its business. What you actually take issue with is the outcome. The two are very different.

It's kind of you to suggest that I'm the only one capable of seeing and highlighting such things Kincardine, but I'm afraid that it's not remotely the case.

I was, of course, being ironic. Rightly so in the light of your post.

It all happened 10 years ago everyone has moved on except from small club fans who are obsessed with the hype and CFC fans whose only motivation isn't sporting integrity but trying to cheat their way to tittle stripping which is already ruled out ... Waste of time going on about cheating

I just don't understand the desperation to keep titles from a time when your club was cheating. Honour and dignity seem to be foreign concepts.

Great piece and puts forward a very strong argument.

The final paragraphs echo my dismay at the fact we're coming out of this saga full speed ahead back to square one. A really depressing moment in Scottish football history.

I stopped reading at the end of the first paragraph.

Anyone who tries to be serious yet says, "Most significantly, the campaign to have the farcical Nimmo Smith Commission findings set aside must be put on ice." is clearly marching to a different beat to we sane people.

I assume that the commission pretty-much disregarded the use of EBTs as their use in no way contravened SPL rules. Instead they thoroughly investigated how players' contacts were presented to the authorities and, rightly, found us culpable.

I thought your issue was over the way the commission conducted its business. What you actually take issue with is the outcome. The two are very different.

I was, of course, being ironic. Rightly so in the light of your post.

When clubs can get done for the "Sporting Advantage" of paying their players a week late yet a commission finds no advantage in not paying the taxman at all it looks like the commission might not have conducted it's business correctly.

Anyone who tries to be serious yet says, "Most significantly, the campaign to have the farcical Nimmo Smith Commission findings set aside must be put on ice." is clearly marching to a different beat to we sane people.

So... as a sane person(?) you think the Nimmo Smith Commission should be put aside?

And there was me saying rangers fans have no honour or dignity. I stand corrected - there is at least one.

Actually I am not a huge advocate for title stripping, I'd rather see scottish football improved going forward. I am also trying to take an objective approach to the whole thing.

Reading the linked piece it makes a very strong argument for title stripping it has to be said. I do appreciate that there is clearly a certain bias to the writing so it's hardly concrete evidence especially given not all of the facts can be verified. For example, I have never seen evidence that Rangers openly lied to HMRC during the EBT period so therefore I appreciate that may not be true.

However, taken as read it is a pretty compelling argument. I would happily read a piece with as strong an argument to the contrary.

When clubs can get done for the "Sporting Advantage" of paying their players a week late yet a commission finds no advantage in not paying the taxman at all it looks like the commission might not have conducted it's business correctly.

I am amazed that you spend so much time on this thread yet still come out with this dross.

I like this part.

'On 22nd May 2005, Rangers defeated Hibs at Easter Road to win the SPL by a solitary point with Nacho Novo scoring the only goal of the game.'

What he fails to acknowledge however, is the fact that they could not defend against wee Scotty Macdonald for 2 minutes, will they ever get over it?

Why should anyone ever forget what has happened? Those who forget history etc.

I like this part.

'On 22nd May 2005, Rangers defeated Hibs at Easter Road to win the SPL by a solitary point with Nacho Novo scoring the only goal of the game.'

What he fails to acknowledge however, is the fact that they could not defend against wee Scotty Macdonald for 2 minutes, will they ever get over it?

Bear in mind I despise Celtic in my response to that.

To point out Celtics failings in that season is a mere distraction from the actual debate. It is a wider debate around Rangers actions at that time.

The whole 'sporting advantage' debate is a red herring for me anyway, in sport you can forever talk about the ifs buts and maybes and how much of a direct impact having De Boer or whoever in the team may have had.

For me it's simple, was a form of deception and contravention of rules used to sign football players to compete for a league title. If so, there is a huge argument to say that title is void.

There are many real life examples of teams being disqualified from competitions for administrative errors on a hugely smaller scale than this.