Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

Day 19. Actual events since administration:

1. Rangers go into administration.

2. Duff & Phelps appointed administrators.

3. Russell & Smith leave.

4. Matt McKay sold to Korean club.

6. Cousin deal killed off.

Hmm. So how are they doing, saving a million quid per' month, looks like Haudit & Daudit are on top of the situation. I mean, as an example, can a business needing to save that amount each month, justify still having Ally McCoist, Ian Durrant, Kenny MacDowall, and a goalkeeping coach on the books? Is Jim Stewart the keepers' coach? Very strange, but hey-ho.

P.S. It costs with my average maths skills 960,000 a month for the administrators bills

No wage deferrals.....

Chop chop on Monday.

Nice that the administration will be paid thanks to another fools' house at Ibronx....

Off to polish brogues of death then dance up to Firhell :lol:

The bottom line is none of us know Sky/ESPNs thinking. Here's an alternative scenario. Rangers go tits-up, end up in Div 3 as a phoenix club. Sky broker a new deal, no cut in cost, but they get to show the 'Rangers phoenix story' as the new club rise Gretna-like, through the divisions. Sky market the whole deal in a huge campaign along the lines of 'Sky - supporting Scottish football'... They become the good guys, not bad guys who 'did walking away'. For three seasons they mix up SPL games with the Rangers story, before too long, normal service will be resumed.

It's possible. Anything is possible in this soap opera.

It is possible, but it's unlikely it would insulate SPL clubs from reduced income. Rangers would be playing in SFL - if SFL didn't exist, they wouldn't be playing anywhere. Would Sky keep paying SPL its 92% break-even and start paying SFL? Would SFL give rights for free?

There's still naming rights and away gates too.

(And Sky haven't exactly a glowing reputation for altruistic benevolence. Although, as you say, hypothetically anything is possible).

Whatever happens - if Rangers aren't in SPL, the issue is the degree of loss Celtic and the other 10 have to asborb. And if they can/want to.

It is possible, but it's unlikely it would insulate SPL clubs from reduced income. Rangers would be playing in SFL - if SFL didn't exist, they wouldn't be playing anywhere. Would Sky keep paying SPL its 92% break-even and start paying SFL? Would SFL give rights for free?

(And Sky haven't exactly a glowing reputation for altruistic benevolence. Although, as you say, hypothetically anything is possible).

Whatever happens - if Rangers aren't in SPL, the issue is the degree of loss Celtic and the other 10 have to asborb. And if they can/want to.

Hmmmmmmm, how about a newco Rangers start a breakaway from the SPL and invite other clubs to join with their own tv deal? Ie, they disolve the SPL from the outside?

I am ashamed to say that the club I follow would 'probably' apply to join that setup, as would every other SPL and 1st division club.

I can remember waiting to get away from Hampden Park after the League Cup Final defeat to 9 man Rangers watching the Rangers fans leaving the stadium.

Had St. Mirren won it would have been the greatest day ever - what could ever, realistically, top beating Rangers at Hampden in a Cup Final? We know we will never win the league - so beating Rangers in a final was basically a lifetime event. Beating Dundee United in 1987 was good enough.... but beating one of the Old Firm - and in particular, Rangers - at Hampden in a cup final would be something that would last for ever - greatest ever day in the club's history.

If St. Mirren had won, the celebrations would have been uncontrollable. It would have been actual heaven. Greatest day ever. I would have been in floods of tears.

As I sat and watched the Rangers fans leaving, there weren't any celebrations. There was barely a smile on any of their faces. I met Rangers fan I knew leaving the ground and he was basically disinterested. Said he thought Rangers were lucky and that was it.

That win meant absolutely nothing to the Rangers support.

It would have meant absolutely everything to the St. Mirren support.

Old Firm fans will never understand what its like to support a diddy club.

Good post - The same thing happened in the Scottish Cup Final in 2009. Didn't want to hang around for them lifting the cup so left after applauding our players, only to see droves streaming out ahead of us in a rush to the station, even before the cup had been lifted. F'k em

I agree Sky aren't known for being cuddly and warm & fuzzy. However, I just wonder if it is actually in their long-term interest to stick with Scottish football, in the event of a Rangers implosion. In the past, a lot of the banks baulked at calling-in football debt, for fear of being painted as the bad guys. Sky could just stick two fingers up to us and walk away, but they risk a lot of cancelled Scottish Sky subscriptions and ill-will.

Bottom line is I don't know any more than the next guy what will transpire, but there's always hope. I think if Rangers do go tits-up, we can collectively curl up and die, or the clubs, authorities, fans... broadcasters and sponsors too, can pull together to work things out - I hope so anyway. If not, the claim that 'we will die without Rangers' will come to pass. I don't believe that to be the case. All we can do at the moment is watch and wait.

I agree Sky aren't known for being cuddly and warm & fuzzy. However, I just wonder if it is actually in their long-term interest to stick with Scottish football, in the event of a Rangers implosion. In the past, a lot of the banks baulked at calling-in football debt, for fear of being painted as the bad guys. Sky could just stick two fingers up to us and walk away, but they risk a lot of cancelled Scottish Sky subscriptions and ill-will.

Bottom line is I don't know any more than the next guy what will transpire, but there's always hope.

I don't think Sky-ESPN would walk away... not only due to PR aspects, but also since there'd still be profit and value to be had in SPL under Rangers got back. I just think they might renegotiate the deal to more realistic cost-benefit levels.

I'm amazed we get as much as we do for what is a really poor product.

I have never at any point watched a full SPL game on TV, other than when Falkirk were featured very occasionally away from home. If I catch 5 or 10 minutes here and there it is public park stuff.

Its a bit of a big assumption that a phoenix nite rfc will simply rise serenly thru the leagues....lets be fair their fans arent known for loyalty or patience (i, old enuff to remember how high their crowds were in the 80s ffs and that was still the top division) and they wont have much in the way of revenue streams apart from tickets...no tv money, vastly reduced sponsorship, replica kits goes to jjb at moment etc etc. they would have to live sustainably within their means since no bank would give them credit to go into debt again, and do we really think that they will get tens of thousands of fans week in week for for a MINIMUM of 3 years....i not so sure and without all of that revenue in place they wont have any attracttion for the best scottish players anymore...and defo not any foreign ones. how much revenue could they realistically generate from the 4th tier of scottish football...would that be enough to live on?? gretna only came up thru the leagues by fiscal cheating...a phoenix club would not have that option. im not saying that they wont ever come thru...but i dont see it as easy as some ppl think..

I'm amazed we get as much as we do for what is a really poor product.

I wouldn't necessarily agree r.e. "poor product", but I too think it's impressive we get as much as we do.

Last season our deal was 11th highest in Europe in real terms and into the top 10 highest per-capita (Big 5 particularly secure larger deals per-capita due to economies-of-scale and their global appeal). So for a nation of 5M people, with only 2 'big' clubs, that's excellent.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Its a bit of a big assumption that a phoenix nite rfc will simply rise serenly thru the leagues....lets be fair their fans arent known for loyalty or patience (i, old enuff to remember how high their crowds were in the 80s ffs and that was still the top division) and they wont have much in the way of revenue streams apart from tickets...no tv money, vastly reduced sponsorship, replica kits goes to jjb at moment etc etc. they would have to live sustainably within their means since no bank would give them credit to go into debt again, and do we really think that they will get tens of thousands of fans week in week for for a MINIMUM of 3 years....i not so sure and without all of that revenue in place they wont have any attracttion for the best scottish players anymore...and defo not any foreign ones. how much revenue could they realistically generate from the 4th tier of scottish football...would that be enough to live on?? gretna only came up thru the leagues by fiscal cheating...a phoenix club would not have that option. im not saying that they wont ever come thru...but i dont see it as easy as some ppl think..

No it isn't. Even if they were playing in front of just 15,000 - 20,000 they'd be fucking miles ahead of everyone else in the SFL financially and on the park

are you a lolzcat?

A die hard fanbase of 2000 supporters would put any club head and shoulders above any other club in the bottom 2 divisions and even most div 1 teams

I completely agree, the OF have to pay mediocre players over the odds to come to the SPL already and since newco Rangers won't have the sweetener of at least a Europa League qualifier what can they offer decent players to head to New Bayview or Peterhead on a cold and wet winters evening?

No it isn't. Even if they were playing in front of just 15,000 - 20,000 they'd be fucking miles ahead of everyone else in the SFL financially and on the park

are you a lolzcat?

if they could only attract less than 20,000 for a cup tie against Dundee United, how many will they get for Annan Athletic?

if they could only attract less than 20,000 for a cup tie against Dundee United, how many will they get for Annan Athletic?

Of course a Rangers in the third will have less fans but Livi breezed through the lower leagues with a much lesser backing.

In a PATG cup tie that's live on telly or as part of a ST that is part of the 'Re-Birth o tha Renjurs'?

Of course a Rangers in the third will have less fans but Livi breezed through the lower leagues with a much lesser backing.

I forgot about Livi, using them as an example they'll probably be fine until the First Division. In the First I can't see it being so straightforward as the only real money coming in will be from the spectators and the only reason that the Killie and Hearts games have sold out is because they have went into administration and the fans think that it shows their dedication to the cause if the rock up to Ibrox.

Edited by statts1976uk

i forgot about Livi, using them as an example they'll probably be fine until the First Division. In the First I can't see it being so straightforward as the only real money coming in will be from the spectators and the only reason that the Killie and Hearts games have sold out is because they have went into administration and the fans think that it shows their dedication to the cause if the rok up to Ibrox.

Quite possibly. Again though a die hard fan base of 4000 would probably be sufficient to make them the big fish in the first. Plus if they skoosh the 3rd then 2nd in consecutive seasons the momentum will be with them and the seige mentality of the nuggets supporting them would probably see them back to the SPL. Being 2/3 of the way back to where they were would rally the fans I'm sure.

A die hard fanbase of 2000 supporters would put any club head and shoulders above any other club in the bottom 2 divisions and even most div 1 teams

They'll be lucky to get even that considering their support collapsed to 5000 at one stage in the 80s because Aberdeen were winning everything and the spoilt brats couldn't take it. How many do you realistically think would bother with them down in the basement?

Edited by WaffenThinMint